Making this old bike look new

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brozerker

Reaction score
Hey all!
I recently acquired an '88 Vmax 1200, which I had previously never heard of but fell in love with immediately. The previous owner had put pretty much as much money as possible into maintaining all the OEM moving parts and had paid a bit less attention to how the bike looked, so I've been really excited to make it look as good as it runs.

I've already repainted it (see pictures below) and touched up the engine enamel as much as I could without removing it from the bike. I'm not terribly happy with my work though (was my first time doing that kind of painting and I learned a lot during and after the process) and will probably redo it later this year in red with gold detailing.

I've also fallen down the rabbit hole of possible upgrades to make and am hoping you guys could help with that. Is there a good place to buy aftermarket fake tank covers and other body work (that will ship to the US)? Specifically the stuff they have listed on www.vmax.bike (such as this one http://www.vmax.bike/?page_id=3897&lang=en)? I've emailed them a few times but they haven't responded and it's been a few weeks.

And lastly I've got what is probably a pretty dumb question. I've never had a bike with a center stand before and can't seem to get the bike up on it. I've tried a few times by standing on the stand peg and pulling back on the handle bars but every time I pull hard enough to feel it going up it also feels like it might be going sideways. Is there some technique for this? Should I just keep going and hope it doesn't tip?

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 49
  • painted.jpg
    painted.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 47
What do you weigh? Weight here generally-helps.

I do this:

• place bike on a level surface
  • rotate the centerstand until both feet are touching the ground
  • stand next-to the foot pedal of the stand, put your foot lightly onto the pedal
  • place one hand under/on the passenger seat grip
  • jump up in the air so the only thing touching the bike is your foot on the pedal and your hand on the passenger grab bar, if your reach is long-enough you could hold the handlebar on the same side

You should feel the bike move backwards as you bring your weight down on the pedal for the centerstand, and you pull upwards on the passenger grab bar. The bike should go past the mid-point of the centerstand, and fall-against the centerstand stop, on the stand. Use the ball of your right foot, your right hand on the passenger grab bar, and left hand on the left handlebar to keep the front wheel straight.

As-for bodywork, Sean Morley ([email protected]) and CaptainKyle ([email protected]) can supply you with painted, ready-to-install bodywork.

I weigh about 170lbs.
Thanks! I'll try that next time I want to put it up on the stand.

Yes, you should be able to hold the left handlebar and the left passenger grip, and with your right foot on the centerstand pad, pull-up and back, and get it onto the stand.

Latest posts

Back