man cave fabrication project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Those of you who saw my post on getting my garage space going (http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=41374&highlight=garage) could be interested in what's next. I dropped off a bunch of raw steel w/my fabricator today, trying to get my tool finished to help me store things and to work and to move heavy stuff.

Here's a shot from the steel supplier, I had them cut the stuff as-close to size as I could get it. This will help me get my project done more-quickly by my friend the machinist/welder. He's the guy who does the widened 17" & 18" VMax wheels for me.

And because every project takes time, and I don't expect to get this back for a few weeks, I worked-up an appetite, and stopped at one of the local spots in Ft. Lauderdale FL which serves Vienna Hots, a Chicago IL product. All-dressed, and ready to enter my alimentary canal, yeah, I ate it.

I also stopped by the local Habitat for Humanity and got a Craftsman combo belt/disc drive sander, for cheap, and a 32" 12-LED lightbar fixture to hang above my workbench. Much-brighter than my halogen puck-light array I have there now. They had a 14" pair of metal shears, a 1/2" male pipe thread die and twin-opposed arm handle, and a cool French-curve shaped case carpentry snap line chalk box I bought, just because I liked the style of the case, it looks 1930's Art Moderne style. I don't need it, I'm going to stick it in a display case I have of old interesting tools. I still use my snap line I bought new 43 years-ago, all it needs occasionally is a fill w/colored chalk. I prefer red to blue.

I wish the garage project I turned-over to the welder today could go a bit quicker, but I understand good work takes time, and it's a small job compared to the $$$$ stuff he does to keep the doors open. When it's done, I'm going to be able to move things and to store them much more-easily.

Attachments

• Steelyard.01.JPG
    Steelyard.01.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Hot Dog Heaven.01.JPG
    Hot Dog Heaven.01.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 24
I stopped by to speak w/my machinist about the project he's working on for me to make life easier in the man-cave when working on bikes & etc.

I gave him a 2 sq ft piece of 3/8" steel plate to carve up, and while we were talking I saw this in the shop. How many of you have seen an MV Agusta much less one disassembled? This one had a problem w/the cyl head, work underway. Lookit that frame, it looks stout, kinda like a Bimota or a Ducati, parallel tubing, heavily-triangulated. The engine is like a 1970's Honda in that the cam chain is in the middle of the cylinders, instead of at one end like the first and subsequent Ninja inline 4's. It is a DOHC & 4v/cyl, unlike that 1970's Honda! They waited until 1979 to go w/4v/cyl, and of course that was when the CBX was released, 6 cylinders.

I was impressed by the steering head, it's ~3-3/8" in diameter! That USD fork, a Showa, is very stout too. Maybe a Big Piston Fork?

Anyway, some shots for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• MVAgusta.01.jpg
    MVAgusta.01.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 16
  • MVAgusta.02.JPG
    MVAgusta.02.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for posting.....I would be curious to see how the bike will turn out.

Latest posts

Back