Man what a pit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke86max

Reaction score
Money pit that is. I knew it was gonna cost me money to mod my 86 Max after looking through all of the exhaust options and checking out all of the mods on here that everyone is doing. This thing is killing me just fixing it to keep it on the road. First the clutch was slipping so I was figuring on replacing that then I'm riding and after about 30 miles it shuts off still haven't got it figured out yet other than the vent hose and there's nothing there. Then riding home I start getting wet check it out when I get home and the left fork seal blew putting oil all over the brake pads so new seals, wipers and a set of front brake pads. What's next??? at this rate I'll never save up for the exhaust, seat etc. etc. I already got a set of stick coils off of GSXR but still need the wiring harness. This really blows. No I'm not selling and no I'm not going to donate it to science. Just blowing off some steam.
Later
Duke

Seals are expensive for the early forks but you can probably clean up the pads. OR, do the upgraded brakes anyway (send me an email and we can probably work something out).

Sean

Yep, that the way mods go...$$$'s But, if you do it right the first time by planing and researching you will end up with a great bike and one that you know is done right. It is worth it all that's for sure. :worthy:
You're doing a great job Duke!:thumbs up: I have been working on mine for 3 and a half years and still have things to make right, at least in my eyes. :eusa_dance:

Yup, you're finding out about the mod monkey's disease.. grabs you in the head via your wallet!

I got my '86 in the summer of '08, and in just over a year, added/replaced:

- rear wheel missing collar
- front wheel bearings
- steering head bearings
- EBC HH front and rear brake pads
- chinese wave rotors with adapters (fr and rr)
- new S/S brakes and clutch lines
- Shinko tires
- replaced Corbin seat with Muscle Corbin seat
- Supertrapps, then Jardines slipons
- put on ghetto rear mount, added Givi top box
- Slipstreamer Spitfire, then Hellfire windshield
- LCD clock with velcro mount :)
- compass with
- removed/cleaned/replaced carbs
- removed treated replaced fuel tank (rusty)
- fuel filter x 2
- added COPs and removed OEM coils
- replaced spark plugs x 2
- higher/wider handlebars
- Progressive 440 rear shocks
- Ricor Intimators in front forks (had Prog. springs already)
- Ricor Vibranators inside handlebars
- Bar end weights with CF look
- Superbike grips
- Delrin solid motor mounts
- Black anodized M/C covers
- Adjusted valve clearances
- Changed oil 3 or 4 times with filter
- Venture differential
- Front chrome look bullet type blinkers
- Deal's Gap dragon stickers
- Fiamm AR80 dual horn wired through relay
- Added/removed Tboost (POS never worked right)
- wired in a cooling fan bypass switch
- replaced mirrors with a much nicer set of OEMs
- added headlight visor
- did the crimp fix
- replaced battery x 2
- replaced entire wiring harness when the old one developed a 'Christine' fault

Still to do:
- re paint engine
- gauges lights (blue)
- customize top of tank gauges pod
- replace stator
- replace tires again
- replace headlight with bigger HD one

Pretty sure I forgot a bunch of things, but you get the idea..

Welcome to the club! :bang head::biglaugh::rofl_200::eusa_dance::clapping::punk:

I guess if your fork seal "blew out" and started hemorraging oil all over the place you have to replace it, but a slow leak or seep(ring of crud on the forks) can be fixed with a square of moderate grit sandpaper and about 30 seconds. Slide the wiper out of the way, and work the sandpaper rough side out around the tube. Spin it around a couple times....works like a charm. One of my seals leaked when I got the bike, did the sandpaper fix, and now over a year and 8000 miles later still leak-free.

Duke , welcome first to the best place to find out how and why a 24 year old classic muscle bike might need a few repairs & updates.

Did you know the history of the bike when you bought it ? Seals and clutch adjustments are standard fare for 5 year old bikes , let alone 24 !

Keep swinging at it and you'll get it working right. Then .............. the monkey arrives.

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Rollie I agree this is an awesome place and I'm glad as Hell I found it. Wrenchin on old bikes is nothing new to me as I also have a 72 Harley FLH (talk about some repairs) it's just frustrating when you get your mind made up to do one thing and 2 other things creep up. I figured on having to wrench just not what I planned to wrench on. I will keep swingin I waited too long to give up over a couple little seals and a clutch. You guys won't get rid of me that easy.
Later
Duke

A slow leak or seep(ring of crud on the forks) can be fixed with a square of moderate grit sandpaper and about 30 seconds. Slide the wiper out of the way, and work the sandpaper rough side out around the tube. Spin it around a couple times....works like a charm. One of my seals leaked when I got the bike, did the sandpaper fix, and now over a year and 8000 miles later still leak-free.

Not sure how this would fix a leaky seal but I better try that.. Thanks!

i've also heard a 35mm piece of film or the thingy motion pro makes. i need to find mine actulaly.

yea, nah it goes between the tube and the seal and scoops out the dirt and grime.

Rollie I agree this is an awesome place and I'm glad as Hell I found it. Wrenchin on old bikes is nothing new to me as I also have a 72 Harley FLH (talk about some repairs) it's just frustrating when you get your mind made up to do one thing and 2 other things creep up. I figured on having to wrench just not what I planned to wrench on. I will keep swingin I waited too long to give up over a couple little seals and a clutch. You guys won't get rid of me that easy.
Later
Duke

That's good news. We like hard core , old school too. Many have had Hardleys on here as well. Keep wrenching , when it finally comes together , you won't be disappointed.

:punk:

Back