Manual fan switch with auto shut off

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanneal

Reaction score
Yes, I'm crazy.
Wanted the utility of cooling the engine on demand, without having to remember to turn fan off, and without jacking with the Outlaw Sensor, rumored to have issues.

So.... I went wild. In process of uploading images. Please wait.

Here are the pics

Get a InPower VCM05-03MA, timed output relay. This lets the fan run for any defined time betwee 0 and 3 minutes, then it shuts off automatically.
THe VCM is activated by grounding pin 87 (or by adding power to 87A). Once active, it sends power to a relay, which then connects the thermostat wires and powers the fan. Cool thing is that once the BLUE side of the Tstat gets power, it also illuminates the console light. So, either manually activating the switch, or when the moto does it, the light will light.
schematic.jpg

Im good at making brackets - haaaa. This one I hang by the left control bolt.
bracket.jpg
sw1.jpg
sw3.jpg

I bought a used console, to cut the parts up. First you have to GRIND OUT the blank location. Grind out to the OUTER RING, without grinding away the aluminum face plate. In the pics, I had removed the aluminum face plate (to see if the lens' would pop out, but they don't. The lenses are co-molded in to the gray part.) Anyway, when/if you do this mod, you do NOT need to remove the aluminum facia. Just grind the the outer oval. You can also see where I cut a big chunk out of the face as I tested how to cut out the blue and red lenses. The trick is to cut the gray plastic away and only leave a thin ring around the lens (about the width of a flat paper match, then use a wire cutter to nip away at it, and the plastic pieces separate.
sand lens flat to outer ring.jpg

Here are the lenses removed, delicately !!!!! I used some super glue to tack into place, then used jbweld from the inside to lock the new lens in. Be careful not to get the jbweld on the lens, just the rim of the lens.
lenses.jpg

Must mod the inside of outer housing, cut away the screw boss where the X is marked.
inside outer housing mod.jpg

WHite inner housing also needs mod'd. Cut away the semicircle screw boss path. Also, so the light from the new bulb doesn't bleed into the other chambers, you need to fabricate a shield. I used an aluminum can and painted it white as to not reflect onto the speedo. Assume alum can wont magnetically interfere with speedo/tach??.
inner housing mod.jpg
inner housing mod with shield.jpg

Trying to come in from the back with a bulb was next to impoissible, so I decided to come up from the bottom, same difference. 3/8" hole lets the standard rubber bootie light fit nicely.
assembly with bulb test parts.jpg

The relay and the VCM will be located in cavities around the ignition. The VCM is represented by the wooden block. It is still in the mail to me, so I had to improvise in order to wire things up and be ready when the part arrived. When I plug this in, if te bike doesn't explode I will send another pic.

wiring.jpg

f2.jpg
assembly with bulb test parts.jpg
final all.jpg

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 44
  • shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 48
Wow. Fantastic idea and write up. Your bucking for the mod monkey award with this one! Have you tried it out yet?

Very nicely done on the write up, nice clean look to the final install as well.

Wow. Fantastic idea and write up. Your bucking for the mod monkey award with this one! Have you tried it out yet?

Yes, I finally got the VCM part in. Plugged it in, tucked it behind the plastic ignition key cover.... And perfecto!!!

I set the run timer to approx 1.5 minutes. Seems about right. May adjust later based on riding experience.

Adios ...

Latest posts

Back