Manual VBoost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and have been looking over some of the mod threads, etc... Looks like a great place for info on our beloved Vmax.

I now have a 2006 Vmax which is set up with the ususal mods from front to back. One mod that I haven't seen on this site is a true manual vboost.

I unplugged the stock vboost system and unhooked the cable from servo motor to the vboost butterflies. Installed a turn grip style gear shifter (taking from a 21 speed bicycle) on the clutch side of the handle bars with the cable hooked directly to the vboost butterflies.

Now you have vboost on demand, and you can vary the amount of vboost you want depending on conditions or mood.

The beauty is that your hand never leaves the hand grip, just twist and go:surprise:

In VBoost we Trust!!!

Interesting mod! :thumbs up: However we must see pictures of your handy work! :biglaugh: I'd like to see how you tied it all in.

I used a choke cable off a Rebel 125
Dscn0606.jpg
I might move the pull cable to the bars like you did though
Dscn0624.jpg
:thumbs up:

I'm new to the forum and have been looking over some of the mod threads, etc... Looks like a great place for info on our beloved Vmax.

I now have a 2006 Vmax which is set up with the ususal mods from front to back. One mod that I haven't seen on this site is a true manual vboost.

I unplugged the stock vboost system and unhooked the cable from servo motor to the vboost butterflies. Installed a turn grip style gear shifter (taking from a 21 speed bicycle) on the clutch side of the handle bars with the cable hooked directly to the vboost butterflies.

Now you have vboost on demand, and you can vary the amount of vboost you want depending on conditions or mood.

The beauty is that your hand never leaves the hand grip, just twist and go:surprise:

In VBoost we Trust!!!

:party::ttiwwp::party:

Here's some pictures of the twist grip manual vboost on my bike. Sorry about the picture quality (taken on my cell phone)

The twist grip cable attaches to the Vboost assembly at the intake system. Same as on the picture on johnpclynch's reply.

This gives you a completely manual Vboost taht is very easy to use and alot of fun too.

Attachments

• maxgrip.jpg
    maxgrip.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 338
  • maxgrip2.jpg
    maxgrip2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 287
This is pretty tricky!
My VBoost controller gave up the ghost a while back, and I'd been thinking about rigging up a manual controller. How about a better pic of the twistgrip setup?

You could just splice power into two pins of the servo motor and wire in a switch to open and close.

Mark

Hopefully these pictures are better - I don't have a digital camera, this is off cell phone.

I picked up a twist grip, cable and hand grips from a specialty bicycle shop for about $30.00 cdn. The handlebars of the vmax and a bicycle are the same size (fits perfect). You disconnect the boost controller under the left scoop and and the servo motor (both are round plugs). Need to take carb bank off to get to vboost butterfly assembly, disconnect servo motor cable and hook up your new cable, put carb bank, filters or air box back on and your all set.

Nice thing about this set up is, you control when and how much boost opening that you want without taking your hand off the handlebars. 1/4 open great for passing, 1/2 open great for launching from a dead stop, etc...

With the right pipe (your choice), mine is a kerker 4-2-1, pull up to a hotrod or sportbike at a stop light with boost off (idles pretty smoothly) and when they're eyeing you up open the boost full and the bike starts to rumble like a dragster and they have no idea what happened as they're looking at your tail light as you pull away.

As you can see, I love this set up, cheap, effective and you are in control of the amount of boost you want at any given time.

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 291
  • grip2.jpg
    grip2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 276
  • grip3.jpg
    grip3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 265
That's pretty cool.Never saw that done before.So you click it to where ever you want it like shifting gears on a bicycle and it stays there?

That's pretty cool.Never saw that done before.So you click it to where ever you want it like shifting gears on a bicycle and it stays there?

That's exactly how it works! The make that I have is a Grip Shift. It's the one for the front derailer on a twenty one speed. You actually hear the grip "click" as you twist it. This one has 12 clicks, which means 12 positions that the vboost butterflies can be opened to between fully closed to fully opened.

I've made exactly this on mine but the Idle is unstable... does the vboost should be kept a little open even on low revs?
It's quite hard to ride on transit...

Well I must say that is a very neat and clean way of going manual with the VBoost. With out a load of pictures I could can understand how it works. You can pick up a cheapo camera under 30.00 that would get you better photo's than your cell phone

I've made exactly this on mine but the Idle is unstable... does the vboost should be kept a little open even on low revs?
It's quite hard to ride on transit...

Didn't have that issue at all. With the Vboost closed, it would idle smoothly, but with the Vboost open, the idle is lumpy, like a v8 with a wild cam.

I would say that you need to adjust your carbs to suit this set up.

Mike

Well I must say that is a very neat and clean way of going manual with the VBoost. With out a load of pictures I could can understand how it works. You can pick up a cheapo camera under 30.00 that would get you better photo's than your cell phone

This was my first post on this forum, back in 2007. I was pretty low tech when it came to picture taking. I have since bought a nice digital camera and my picture taken abilities have gotten better.

Pretty simple mod to do and easily reversible to.

Mike

One cool way of doing it I noticed on the parts bike I got a couple of years ago: if you use the LH controls from a Venture, it has the choke lever attached to its bottom. Just get that choke cable connected to the vboost valves and there you have it - left thumb manual boost, and looking like OEM!

One cool way of doing it I noticed on the parts bike I got a couple of years ago: if you use the LH controls from a Venture, it has the choke lever attached to its bottom. Just get that choke cable connected to the vboost valves and there you have it - left thumb manual boost, and looking like OEM!

Hey wait a minute G, don't try to steal my thunder, Fitz is calling me a genius.

Ok so let's get the story straight, I came up with this idea way back when the first 1985 Vmax rolled off the production floor. As soon I saw the Vmax, I thought to myself, wait till they invent a grip shift for a bicycle, I can take one off it and use it on the Vmax as a manual boost. The rest is pretty much history. That's right, I am a freaken genius.

Ok, well, that is not exactly a true story. Damn it, now I have to tell the truth, I actually saw a manual boost on a max, but he had it set up with a bicycle style lever shifter, later when I got back home, while in the shed, i spotted my wife's 21 speed bike with the grip shift and well let's just say her bike turned into a 7 speed ans the max got a new grip shift!

Mike

Well... I'm still using a "bicycle style lever shifter".
NOOB! :D

Great idea ,I used a sun race for now works great,

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_211712.jpg
    IMG_20190922_211712.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back