Manual VBoost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea , can you use a front derailler off a mountain bike, make it 3 clicks ?????

See if you get enough cable travel to make the closed to fully-open transition. I expect it's probably about an inch & a half, look & see.

See if you get enough cable travel to make the closed to fully-open transition. I expect it's probably about an inch & a half, look & see.

Since we're having a twist-grip conversation, who is attributed the invention of the motorcycle twist grip? Hint: was also the fastest man on land and in the air before World War 1! For the land speed record portion he rode a bevel final Drive V8 engine motorcycle engine of his own design and manufacture.

Answer Glenn Curtiss of Hammondsport New York. There is a very interesting Museum there if you get a chance to see it you should.

Anyone who rides any Indian Motorcycle of a certain vintage will be familiar with the left-hand twist grip as that's what they used to vary spark advance.

Hopefully these pictures are better - I don't have a digital camera, this is off cell phone.

I picked up a twist grip, cable and hand grips from a specialty bicycle shop for about $30.00 cdn. The handlebars of the vmax and a bicycle are the same size (fits perfect). You disconnect the boost controller under the left scoop and and the servo motor (both are round plugs). Need to take carb bank off to get to vboost butterfly assembly, disconnect servo motor cable and hook up your new cable, put carb bank, filters or air box back on and your all set.

Nice thing about this set up is, you control when and how much boost opening that you want without taking your hand off the handlebars. 1/4 open great for passing, 1/2 open great for launching from a dead stop, etc...

With the right pipe (your choice), mine is a kerker 4-2-1, pull up to a hotrod or sportbike at a stop light with boost off (idles pretty smoothly) and when they're eyeing you up open the boost full and the bike starts to rumble like a dragster and they have no idea what happened as they're looking at your tail light as you pull away.

As you can see, I love this set up, cheap, effective and you are in control of the amount of boost you want at any given time.
Well I did your idea , I,ll have to you tell ,your right ,its great , I didn't pull the carbs , to lazy , this winter I will , I took out all the servo , controller ,made a right angle bracket for the cable pully ,grinded down a bicycle brake lever and hooked to the cable . than hooked it to the shifter, the best thing is now I can get to the coil wires , tested it out today , perfect , and you don't have to worry about all that electronic stuff ,

Well I did your idea , I,ll have to you tell ,your right ,its great , I didn't pull the carbs , to lazy , this winter I will , I took out all the servo , controller ,made a right angle bracket for the cable pully ,grinded down a bicycle brake lever and hooked to the cable . than hooked it to the shifter, the best thing is now I can get to the coil wires , tested it out today , perfect , and you don't have to worry about all that electronic stuff ,

Hey John, sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this forum much lately.
Happy to hear that you like the conversion. It is a fun mod and it doesn't hurt that it's low tech, simple and easily reversible.

ITS THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO , AT 5000 RPM , JUST GET ON BOTH THROTTLES ,LOL . I LOVE IT . THANKS AGAIN ,I USED A SUN RACE FOR NOW ,MY FRIEND HAS A BICYCLE SHOP DOWN THE STREET, THIS WINTER ,WHEN I PULL CARBS I,LL GO WITH A GRIP SHIFT , DIRECT HOOK UP

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_211712.jpg
    IMG_20190922_211712.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I THINK I have a manual vboost setup around here using a choke cable to run it.

Latest posts

Back