marks 4-2 exhaust vs hindle 4-2-1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Hey there guys.

Got a question. Not sure if I will have the definitive answer I'm looking for:

Which exhaust will provide the most power.

I know this is a classic exhaust question and will boil down to a lot of different opinions.

I would prefer an answer backed by dyno. I think I recall a test was to be conducted on a vmax with most of the major players.

**I just ceramic coated my hindle last season and it has like 1000kms on it - so I am not really interested in swapping, losing power - and money**

I also realize that marks is supposed to have an awesome sound - which I crave.

I think Sean has seen that kerker puts the best out. He, I believe, is still working on a comprehensive dyno list.

A 4-1 will USUALLY put out the most peak power but Marks and Dales kits do pretty well. I think Dale has a dyno sheet on his site of the hindle and his new 4-2 and the 4-2 performed better. His exhaust is one of the best IMO but the sound just didn't do it for me so when I needed to replace I went with Marks. Oh by the way... Dale used to use the Hindle header and put his slip-on on it, which is why he tested them against each other.

Chris

Here's the sheet from my '99 w/Mark's 4 - 2, .038" needle shim, A/F @ 3 1/4 turns, COP mod and vacum lines T'd on each side, (Basically stock)

The info doesn't mean much tho as I've never run any other system and have no comparison numbers for you.

I can say that it would surprise me if you weren't very pleased with the Mark's, performance and sound wise.

Attachments

• DOC20091204074558.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 41
Here are my OPINIONS on this subject:

I think you are going to have a hard time finding an ACCURATE dyno comparison of these two. When I say accurate I mean same bike, same conditions, no changes other than exhaust. Unless Sean has already done this in his exhaust testing?

In terms of maximum horsepower the large tube, older hindles are said to be one of the best for the max. I don't think the Marks would match it all else being equal. That being said I would bet the difference would only be a few HP. I highly doubt you would ever notice. I would guess that the Marks Pipes may have a bit more power in the low to mid range than the Hindle but again, not by any major amount.

I would say to base your exhaust choice on sound and looks because the difference in power is negligible.

Here are my OPINIONS on this subject:

I think you are going to have a hard time finding an ACCURATE dyno comparison of these two. When I say accurate I mean same bike, same conditions, no changes other than exhaust. Unless Sean has already done this in his exhaust testing?

In terms of maximum horsepower the large tube, older hindles are said to be one of the best for the max. I don't think the Marks would match it all else being equal. That being said I would bet the difference would only be a few HP. I highly doubt you would ever notice. I would guess that the Marks Pipes may have a bit more power in the low mid to range than the Hindle but again, not by any major amount.

I would say to base your exhaust choice on sound and looks because the difference in power is negligible.

Well said! The older model Kerker and Hindle were the best for overall HP, but only by a small margin. Nowadays there is little difference between the newer 4-2-1 style and the 4-2, especially the Mark's as it has a cross over pipe between the rear headers. If you are looking to change go with personal preference because performance is going to be similar across the board.

Well said! The older model Kerker and Hindle were the best for overall HP, but only by a small margin. Nowadays there is little difference between the newer 4-2-1 style and the 4-2, especially the Mark's as it has a cross over pipe between the rear headers. If you are looking to change go with personal preference because performance is going to be similar across the board.
Thanks Jim,
I too am looking into a full 4-2 exhaust system for my max.
I like the sound of my D.W. holeshot cans, they are only slip ons.
I would love to have a U.F.O. quadlilla set up but there`s just too much bad stuff floatin` around about Jon`s crappy service,
so I guess I`ll go with mark or sean.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Mark, Dale and Sean OF COURSE get my nod... I can't say anything good about Jon as many here know. lol

i bought the ufo 4-2 slash cut i'am sure you seen i'am having a clearance issue with the left rear pipe. i talked to jon twice i'am going to send the whole system back to him so he can figure out what the problem is. i would like to see some comparisons to i only road my bike once with the ufo system and the way my bike is tuned it runs much better with the ufo system. my old system is kerker 4-2-1

The dragstar system is about the only header so far we haven't been too impressed with. The Kerker and Dale Walker made within an HP of each other on the same bike.

Sean

The dragstar system is about the only header so far we haven't been too impressed with. The Kerker and Dale Walker made within an HP of each other on the same bike.

Sean

That can't be true Sean... Jon says it's the BEST performing system on the market.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back