Mark's Exhaust...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCVmax

Reaction score
....will be here tomorrow! Can't wait to see it and hear it. Now just have to figure out the best jetting. Do it myself....or Morley's Jet kit??

get the jet kit its VERY complete. plus get the cold air box. its got an awesome air intake noise when you climb into the throttle...

good luck,
evan...

Depends on what you want out of the bike. Maximum HP, go with Morley's kit. I would go through the carbs either way, making sure to check/adjust float heights. The way I went is to set floats, add 1mm shim under slide needles, drill out mixture screw plugs (if not done already)(be careful) turn mixture screws out to 3 or 3&1/2 from seated. This should make your bike run real well. You can swap out mains depending on your location above or below sea level. Mines a bit rich up top (I think), and I am currently seeking a local dyno to confirm. Its not too bad of a job to do, just do a search here on the forum carb section for some good tutorials!

How about exhaust gaskets? Stock Yamaha gaskets or cheap ones from ebay? Is there a difference other than in price?

$4 isn't bad oem, how much are the 'cheap' ones?

Sean Morley has them but they were not cheap. On the second bike I did, I reused the gaskets that were there, they were good. I had 2 leftovers from the 94 as back up but didn't need them. Just a Thought...

You're gonna Love your Mark's. Assemble everything loosely and make sure it's all correct before tightening it all up.... Watch the brackets for the springs that hold joints together. You can get them on opposite sides from each other....

I got my Marks pipes yesterday, stainless 4-2 and I must say that I'm impressed with the workmanship, particularly the welding, they look great. I have never mounted an exhaust on a bike, but would like to try. I read the how to section and learned how to drop a stock exhaust, but is there any how-to's out here on installing Mark's pipes?

Getting the OEM exhaust off is more involved than putting the Marks on. You should have no problem, just lay everything out and leave it all loose before tightening. I think Redbone had some good pics of his system before install.

How about exhaust gaskets? Stock Yamaha gaskets or cheap ones from ebay? Is there a difference other than in price?

I always go with OEM Yamaha for gaskets, o-rings, seals....stuff like that. You get what you pay for.

You're gonna Love your Mark's. Assemble everything loosely and make sure it's all correct before tightening it all up.... Watch the brackets for the springs that hold joints together. You can get them on opposite sides from each other....

I got my Marks pipes yesterday, stainless 4-2 and I must say that I'm impressed with the workmanship, particularly the welding, they look great. I have never mounted an exhaust on a bike, but would like to try. I read the how to section and learned how to drop a stock exhaust, but is there any how-to's out here on installing Mark's pipes?

No John, no step by step for Marks.....Dave pretty well covered it in the above post....take your time, it should come out fine. Lay everything out in order on a blanket beside the bike....the rear headers seem to go easier in a certain order, (left before right or vice versa, don't remember) so if you're having difficulty one way, try the other.
I recommend new exhaust gaskets.

The stock collector/cans system is pretty heavy, be ready for that during removable. Put something soft underneath to keep them from getting banged up.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Getting the OEM exhaust off is more involved than putting the Marks on. You should have no problem, just lay everything out and leave it all loose before tightening. I think Redbone had some good pics of his system before install.

Hahaha, you 'scooped' me Bob!! :rofl_200:

I was laboring over the perfect post and you said it better in 3 little sentences!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

That's funny!! :biglaugh:

Was there supposed to be some springs with the pipes? I found the little brackets at either side of each joint and wondered what was used to hold them together. Also, does some sort of high temp. sealant need to be used inside each joint?

Was there supposed to be some springs with the pipes? I found the little brackest at either side of each joint and wondered what was used to hold them together. Also, does some sort of high temp. sealant need to be used inside each joint?

Yes, small springs should be in the box. No sealant or gasket of any kind needed at the joints.

Mark may have wrapped them all up in a little bundle and it's in the packing somewhere.

Cool, found the springs amongst all the shredded newspaper, what are the two nuts for? I just said "two nuts", Ha!

No Prob Spec, I think most of my questions have been answered, I'll find where the nuts go as I do the install. Thanks, all of you for the help.

Cool, found the springs amongst all the shredded newspaper, what are the two nuts for? I just said "two nuts", Ha!

John, don't ask a bunch of motorcycle guys that question!!!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Seriously, I didn't get any nuts with my systems either. And, I got two of them. :confused2:

Two systems, I mean!

The nuts are for the two bolts that mount the cans. The OEM system has nuts welded to the cans. Mark includes (at least on my set) two nuts to use with the OEM bolts.

I found the OEM bolts to be too short to reuse. I ended up buying a couple new M10 bolts (had to get new nuts too cause I couldn't find the same thread pitch)

Hahaha, you 'scooped' me Bob!! :rofl_200:

I was laboring over the perfect post and you said it better in 3 little sentences!! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

That's funny!! :biglaugh:
Usually its me thinking about what to post, and I get "scoped".....

Back