Marks exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlog-vmax

Reaction score
ordered marks 4in2 ss system with 2.25 openings 12 inch cans and no turndowns it got here tonight. going to take a half day tommorow to put it on any one have any pointers on the install. never had the stock one off not sure where to start

Re: mark exhaust

Stock exhaust removal was hardest thing for me. Rusty bolts, etc.

Start with mufflers, remove rear header heat shields and then remove headers/joints.

That's the same dimensions that I have on my SS Marks exhaust, excellent choice if I say so myself!
If you can spay some lube on the exhaust bolt threads tonight to let the threads loosen up overnight. I would lay your new system out to get all the pieces in the right orientation before putting them on which will save some time during the install.
Marks not installed 1.jpg

The stock exhaust removal will be the most problematic part of the whole process so don't get frustrated while your taking it off, mine took more time than the Marks install!
Now, you have the old exhaust off you have cleaned up and replaced the exhaust gaskets to ensure no leaks with your new system. Start by loosely bolting the pipes on, I did the fronts first. Wiggle the back headers in place and loosely bolt them in. The crossover/ collector is next, fit the two sides together then fit the back two pipe into the top collector loosely, then slide the front pipes into the collector.
At this point your about 70% done. Check the header bolts and tighten them up a bit but still leave a little play to finish fitting the joints together tightly and in proper alignment. Now you can snug up the header bolts and check for proper alignment/ tightness of joints. The cans go on last before the final tightening of the header bolts just in case there are slight adjustments needed to fit the cans. Also install the springs before you make the final torque on the header bolts.
NOTE: The inside rear header bolts are a bitch to tighten and many of us have cut a 2.5" to 3" allen wrench and turn it with a small socket/ gearwrench type of tool.

A blanket under the bike helps keep scratches and dents to a minimum. I think I used an old comforter.

thanks for the help only problem i had is i missed a heat shield bolt on the bottom right stock exhaust it was a bitch to get loose with the pipe unbolted but i got it sounds great. took it for a ride lost some low end so im going to shim the needles 1mm i will let you know how that works

Do the final link pipes (prior to the cans, and after the front and rear headers) in Mark's system fit onto the stock headers? Anyone tried this? I have stainless headers, but all stock dimensions and locations, so don't really want or need full system.

no marks will not fit stock headers pipe is bigger and diffrent location. but they sound great like an indy car

I am looking at getting the same set up as you have, I am getting a wide tire kit put on, not a outrageous one, just the 200 from Exactrep, unless someone knows of a better choice..... did your pipes move outwards from the bike like the stock ones ...or did you get them to run parallel to the frame?? I like the look of the pipes moving up and away from the bike and this also may make room for the wider swingarm. Any input would be appreciated:)

Maybe you can gain some insight from these pictures.. Lots of clearance for a bigger tire....

Attachments

• 100_0103.jpg
    100_0103.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0106.jpg
    100_0106.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back