Marving incorrect ? & mounting bolt washers ? (2Q's)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3-Max

Reaction score
I'm about ready to hang myself over this damn trike.

(1998 Canadian Vmax)
My trike currently has some cobbled together yammy TDM850 cans so I bought a Marving exhaust rear end, second hand, that was supposedly for a gen 1 Vmax. Just tried a test fit & it wont. Ignoring the wrong front headers (I knew about them) the rear OEM headers also wont fit. Overall they're 1/2 inch wider spaced than the sockets on the Marving's (I measured - rr headers 9 inch to outside edges of pipes, Marving 8.5 inch). Distance between the footrest hanger mounts is correct at 15 inches.

The code on the Marving is CM87 S. I've tried looking to see what Marving's have this down as fitting but I've had no luck with anything on the CM87S code. So here I am asking, do any of you know if the CM87S is the right code or what these are for if not? Bought on fleabay so I've a reasonable chance to return them if not as described.
GEDC2378.JPGGEDC2373.JPGGEDC2374.JPGGEDC2377.JPG

Second Q: Is this big washer (centre left) correct for this mounting point (footrest hanger on the right)? The nut & bolt are replacements as there was only the washer & an M8 set screw & nut present when bought (the TDM cans mount elsewhere).
GEDC2376.JPG

You have a bastardized bike you're gonna need a bastardized build to make things work. I'd start by loosening the header pipes in the exhaust ports. I would then try to get things to match-up in that 'loose' fashion. If you get things close but not fully seated, then think about using a rosebud torch tip and an oxy/acetylene torch to warm-up the tubing, and then to get it to fit better.

One way I've read about bending tubing for exhausts without having it collapse, is to pack it with sand and then heat/bend it. An alternative is to take it to a known fabrication shop and have them do it. That probably would have the best results. You want things so you can disassemble it for working on the bike as a whole.

I've taken parts to a local muffler shop, and had them use a hydraulic expander to give me a tight slip-fit on an exhaust fixture I had cut, to allow me to fit a custom 4/1 canister to my exhaust collector. I made a bracket to adapt the collector to the canister, and it all fit snugly, no leaks, and muffled.

Good news, just a bit of brute force pushing & pulling got the rear headers the right distance apart. Bad news is the Marving crosspipe/collection box fouls part of the swingarm. Good news not by much so should be fixable.

Back