Master cylinder caps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce57

Reaction score
I haven't really posted here much, but I did want to make you aware (if not already) about the aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinder caps on eBay. I bought a pair of the black with silver "etched" Vmax on them about a year back. They are not powder coated, they are painted or covered in something that the brake fluid will eat in to. You can't clean them up afterwards either. I found a nice set of used factory ones I've ordered. I haven't seen the polished aluminum ones, so I don't know about them. Just beware.

Oops. Looking at the picture, I need to go re-route the fluid line.

Yep, that sucks. I have polished ones (not chrome, but I also have those as well). I chose to run the polished because if they get anything on them, I can just polish it off.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 38
I took my stock caps and stripped the paint off them. Then laid sand paper on a piece of glass and sanded all the raised portions until it was smooth and finished with 1000 grit. I then polished them to a satin finish.

before master cylinders.JPG after master cylinders.JPG

I did the covers on a friends bike. Wish I had pictures as it turned out well. I took a steel wire wheel and put it on my Dewalt 20amp drill, screwed the covers down to a 2x4 to keep them still and brushed all the paint off them in one direction. This left them with a brushed aluminum look. I then coated them with satin VHT paint. It almost exactly matches the brushed air scoops.

I took my stock caps and stripped the paint off them. Then laid sand paper on a piece of glass and sanded all the raised portions until it was smooth and finished with 1000 grit. I then polished them to a satin finish.

View attachment 72985 View attachment 72986
A good job on removing all the warnings, but now it resembles a good-looking girl with zits!

Zits.png

I haven't really posted here much, but I did want to make you aware (if not already) about the aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinder caps on eBay. I bought a pair of the black with silver "etched" Vmax on them about a year back. They are not powder coated, they are painted or covered in something that the brake fluid will eat in to. You can't clean them up afterwards either. I found a nice set of used factory ones I've ordered. I haven't seen the polished aluminum ones, so I don't know about them. Just beware.

Oops. Looking at the picture, I need to go re-route the fluid line.

I bought a set of the black ones you have, but only needed the brake side. I covered up the logo with electrical tape as I'be debadged as much as I could.

Back