Master cylinder Mirror issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
I changed the handle bar this weekend for a drag bar type.
Really better than the stock one IMO.

My pb is the right mirror which is loose now.
The stem doesn't stay in place.
I think the thread of the master cylinder is dying.

Any idea what I can do ? I thought of putting some blue loctite for now, but then I won't be able to adjust the mirrors anymore.
I'm scared it might be the same with any mirror.
Is the replacement of the master cylinder mandatory?
If I need to, should I go for the stock one ?

Thanks

I believe the mirror is simply threaded into the base metal for the master cyl. This is either aluminum or just die cast pot metal.

The best cure would be to put in a helicoil. This will essentially renew the threads and put it back to essentially new condition.

http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

autostores sell generic helicoils. the coils are cheap. the specific taps are the expensive part.

If you go to a place like Pep Boys or other big chain auto stores they typically sell a helicoil kit. Everything you need to install the helicoil in one blister pack (coils, drill bit, and tap).

If I''m not mistaken, the right mirror that is mounted on the front brake master is a left handed thread. This might be a difficult Heli-coil to find.

I will need to check that, but typically I'm not sure they are selling Heli-coil here.
Checking the price around $35, It might be the same for than replacing with a second hand master cylinder, or it could be time for an upgrade of the stock one since I'm already using R1 calipers and braided lines.

For now I just replaced my mirrors with temporary ones with a longer 10mm thread.
Looks like only part of the master cylinder thread is dead and not the bottom part.
It will just save me time for finding a solution but for now I keep those yamaha bulky mirrors.

I changed the handle bar this weekend for a drag bar type.
Really better than the stock one IMO.

My pb is the right mirror which is loose now.
The stem doesn't stay in place.
I think the thread of the master cylinder is dying.

Any idea what I can do ? I thought of putting some blue loctite for now, but then I won't be able to adjust the mirrors anymore.
I'm scared it might be the same with any mirror.
Is the replacement of the master cylinder mandatory?
If I need to, should I go for the stock one ?

Thanks
Only things that you can do are:
-loctite
-welding
-thread repair like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFSyfY1VLtU
-fill the hole with god epoxy and machine new thread

Buy a regular, right hand helicoil kit. Repair the threads with that. Buy NON-Yamaha mirrors and slap them on and you won't need no stinkin' mirror adaptors! It will look better then it ever did, LOL.

Been there done that. Have the Arlen Ness teardrops(which you cant see a damn thing out of) but do look really cool. If you screw with it long enough, and have patience, you will find the tighten point with the adapters. Had mine 3 yrs, and they dont budge. Your brain just wants to do the opposite on that left side. By the way, cried when I first put the drag bars on - thought I had made a bad mistake- but within 20 miles realized I had much more control over the TANK drivin,Tank like shiftin SOB than I ever had before. It is what it is- but you just gotta love it cause aint many got d balls to fk with it, and youll feel a lot better knowin you done it! Love them stop lights and Hrlys and sport bikes and eatin their lunch every time!

Back