Master Cylinder Rubber Inserts

Discussion in 'VMax Parts & Motorcycles Wanted' started by Boston.Anton, Mar 4, 2020.

Help Support VMAX Motorcycle Forum by donating:

1. Mar 4, 2020 #1

Boston.Anton

Boston.Anton

Boston.Anton

What do you call the little rubber insert gasket things that go into the brake and clutch master cylinder reservoirs? Where can I buy some? Anyone have any for sale?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 4, 2020 #2

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Master cyl gaskets for the cap.

The fiche says: reservoir diaphragm
    Brake side:
    36Y-25854-00-00
    $13.23
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c16f8700209bc79430c/front-master-cylinder

Clutch side:
    Reservoir Diaphragm

1AE-26454-00-00
    $10.11
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c17f8700209bc79430d/front-master-cylinder-2

Buy six of those tiny screws, you'll have two spares.
    Screw, Flat Head
    98707-04012-00
    $1.66 each
    or, buy them from a hardware store

If you've never-removed those screws, they can be difficult to remove. I suggest a #1 phillips in a hand impact driver. Use a flat head punch about the size of the screw head, and rap the screw head several times before you try to use the impact driver. You may luck-out and be able to remove the screw due to the better grip the hand impact driver gives you. If it doesn't unscrew, use the hand impact driver. Pre-load the impact driver in the lefty-loosie direction, in the phillips screw X before you strike it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    putin likes this.
  3. Mar 4, 2020 #3

KSRider12

KSRider12

KSRider12

Yeah, I had to drill the brake M/C cover screws out on mine. Big fun...

putin likes this.
  4. Mar 4, 2020 #4

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

I usually can remove them if the phillips X gets stripped-out by using a Dremel-type rotary tool to cut a slot in the screw head, and choosing a tight-fitting slot head screwdriver. I don't worry if I nick the sides of the cap a bit with the cutting disc, to form the slot deep-enough to be able to get a good fit. I do think it's important to give the screw a few raps with a hammer and round flat punch, if it doesn't want to come-out.

I've also used a hex-head machine screw instead of a tapered flat-head screw identical to the replacement. It's certainly easier to get a snug torque on the screw if it's a hex-head.

If you can't find the correct length replacement screw, visit the hardware store buy several of whatever longer length they have and a few nuts to fit. Run down two nuts, lock one to the other once you know where to cut, and use your Dremel/rotary tool to cut the screw to length, then re-tap the thread end by removing the nuts. Snug is good-enough installing the reservoir cap.

I've also drilled and tapped the screw hole in the master cylinder body, deeper, to be able to get a good purchase for the cap to be fastened.

putin likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2020 #5

Boston.Anton

Boston.Anton

Boston.Anton

Thank you Fire-medic!

6. Mar 6, 2020 #6

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Fire-medic

Sure, you're welcome, when you find a fix from working on your bike, post it up, pics help people to understand, and there's always someone who has a similar issue, sooner or later.

Draft saved Draft deleted