• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Master Cylinder Rubber Inserts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston.Anton

Reaction score
What do you call the little rubber insert gasket things that go into the brake and clutch master cylinder reservoirs? Where can I buy some? Anyone have any for sale?

Thanks in advance!

Master cyl gaskets for the cap.

The fiche says: reservoir diaphragm
Brake side:
36Y-25854-00-00
$13.23
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c16f8700209bc79430c/front-master-cylinder

Clutch side:
Reservoir Diaphragm

1AE-26454-00-00
$10.11
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c17f8700209bc79430d/front-master-cylinder-2

Buy six of those tiny screws, you'll have two spares.
Screw, Flat Head
98707-04012-00
$1.66 each
or, buy them from a hardware store

If you've never-removed those screws, they can be difficult to remove. I suggest a #1 phillips in a hand impact driver. Use a flat head punch about the size of the screw head, and rap the screw head several times before you try to use the impact driver. You may luck-out and be able to remove the screw due to the better grip the hand impact driver gives you. If it doesn't unscrew, use the hand impact driver. Pre-load the impact driver in the lefty-loosie direction, in the phillips screw X before you strike it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to drill the brake M/C cover screws out on mine. Big fun...

I usually can remove them if the phillips X gets stripped-out by using a Dremel-type rotary tool to cut a slot in the screw head, and choosing a tight-fitting slot head screwdriver. I don't worry if I nick the sides of the cap a bit with the cutting disc, to form the slot deep-enough to be able to get a good fit. I do think it's important to give the screw a few raps with a hammer and round flat punch, if it doesn't want to come-out.

I've also used a hex-head machine screw instead of a tapered flat-head screw identical to the replacement. It's certainly easier to get a snug torque on the screw if it's a hex-head.

If you can't find the correct length replacement screw, visit the hardware store buy several of whatever longer length they have and a few nuts to fit. Run down two nuts, lock one to the other once you know where to cut, and use your Dremel/rotary tool to cut the screw to length, then re-tap the thread end by removing the nuts. Snug is good-enough installing the reservoir cap.

I've also drilled and tapped the screw hole in the master cylinder body, deeper, to be able to get a good purchase for the cap to be fastened.

Sure, you're welcome, when you find a fix from working on your bike, post it up, pics help people to understand, and there's always someone who has a similar issue, sooner or later.

I swapped out my screws for some stainless hex head ones. The pack I bought was 100 screws, far more than the 4 I needed, if anyone would like a set of 4, send me a pm.

... water is the main culprit when I referred Land rover aluminium panels disintegrating.

Back