master cylinders?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corvax

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I know this question has been asked so many times before. But I'm going to ask it again as I find so may different answers. I need to replace or rebuild both my clutch master and front break master. Now here's the first of I'm sure many question's ill have.. Is there a set of aftermarket masters I can get to replace the stock ones I have now and if so what ones are the best bang for the buck? Now if that's a NO then what do any of you suggest I do. I'm kind of stuck on if I have to spend some on the rebuild why not get some nice replacements. Thanks

The short answer is yes, there are.

Whatever you go for match the bore diameter of the cylinder with OE unless you are also going to upgrade the callipers. In that case go for the diameter that they were originally paired with.

As with most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for.
You can get a m/c for several tens of $, and whilst I have no experience of them, I wouldn't trust them with a safety critical item.

Probably the cheapest would be to fit something from a current bike. Be sure to check that they come with mirror mounts unless you are prepared to go to bar end's or a separate mount.

If you want assured quality and consistent performance then stick with a premium product such a Nissin, Brembo, ISR, AP Racing and the like.

Good grade pads, smooth rotors and rebuilt masters work well for me. Even the older units on my 89. I've had to bring SkullDuggery down from 150 + indicated a few times. Once in a serious emergency from 140. The brakes did the job. Upgrades, I'd do the whole system if that was the option. Good parts is a priority then, your life will depend on their function....

Good grade pads, smooth rotors and rebuilt masters work well for me. Even the older units on my 89. I've had to bring SkullDuggery down from 150 + indicated a few times. Once in a serious emergency from 140. The brakes did the job. Upgrades, I'd do the whole system if that was the option. Good parts is a priority then, your life will depend on their function....

Geez, Dave, was the "serious emergency' because you saw this?

images

I put on FJR masters and use r1 brakes front and back. I also have a heavy duty clutch spring installed and the 14mm bore of the fjr master brings the pull back to the stock feel. In other words, doing the hd clutch results in a harder to pull handle, I measured the pull stock, then when I did the fjr. No gorilla forarms needed for the pull! LOL

Thanks for the reply guys. I think ill try and rebuild my old ones and see how it goes. would this part number work for the break master 3GF-W0041-00 if not what is the correct part number for the rebuild kits for both the clutch and break masters. thanks for the help

Stock masters work great and you can also swap over to many different types of masters for both cosmetic and or breaking improvements. I have a pair of FJR's on hand and a couple of other custom versions. I also sell a few aftermarket brands.

Back