May have found a cheap coil/wire replacement option

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if anybody would think that these could be made to work?
+
387607b2-8978-4fa5-a96e-5ed8b347ee68.jpg
OR
4727c64c-f880-4f33-b9dd-09af30978217.jpg

Just wondering if anybody would think that these could be made to work?
+
387607b2-8978-4fa5-a96e-5ed8b347ee68.jpg
OR
4727c64c-f880-4f33-b9dd-09af30978217.jpg

Unless they are the OEM connectors for your COPs I wouldnt use them. They need to be sealed from the elements and the pins on the COPs are tiny making it even harder to get a good connection.

Here is the stock harness that goes into the DENSO COP's I have:

Attachments

• P1010147.jpg
    P1010147.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 222
Well, the guy I got the COP's from also had the whole, unmolested harness---$7.00 with shipping!!

After reading all of the numerous posts on this subject all I can say is I'm glad I'm NOT running a Dyna 3K:confused2:

hi which bike are your COP's from?.. i have 2 sets,one from a 2003 gsxr750 nd another set from an 05 gsxr600.. i was thinking of doing this mod as well..
thanks
Gord

hi which bike are your COP's from?.. i have 2 sets,one from a 2003 gsxr750 nd another set from an 05 gsxr600.. i was thinking of doing this mod as well..
thanks
Gord

Gord,

I am running a set off of an R1, but somewhere here there is a list of ones that work fine. I do believe that either set you have will work, but I could be wrong. Hope to see you at the Toronto show this weekend.

OK....I'm intrigued by this, especially since I'm tracking an intermittent misfire on my bike. The p/o left me with two different kinds of Nology coils and a sort of hacked up factory harness. The bike runs good, except for a nagging misfire(feels like one cylinder is cutting in and out) in the 4-6k midrange. Idles good, top end screams, only appears under load with constant/slight throttle. Romping on the gas "breaks through" it....tough to explain.

Found a set of 2007 R6 coil sticks with harness for $27 shipped on ebay. From what I've gathered here it seems like pretty much any sportbike COP will work, so I'm going to give these a try. I'll let you know how it goes, for that price you really can't go wrong.

OK....I'm intrigued by this, especially since I'm tracking an intermittent misfire on my bike. The p/o left me with two different kinds of Nology coils and a sort of hacked up factory harness. The bike runs good, except for a nagging misfire(feels like one cylinder is cutting in and out) in the 4-6k midrange. Idles good, top end screams, only appears under load with constant/slight throttle. Romping on the gas "breaks through" it....tough to explain.

Found a set of 2007 R6 coil sticks with harness for $27 shipped on ebay. From what I've gathered here it seems like pretty much any sportbike COP will work, so I'm going to give these a try. I'll let you know how it goes, for that price you really can't go wrong.
+1 to the COP mod. I have '08 R1 cops(short ones) on Redbone and I'm not going back! I tried the long coils and they are a little more difficult to remove for plug maintenance. And you're right that the price is right!

Here are the ones I just bought....are these the "short" or "long" ones? I browsed through a lot of listings and never noticed a significant difference in length....they all seemed about the same.

Here are the ones I just bought....are these the "short" or "long" ones? I browsed through a lot of listings and never noticed a significant difference in length....they all seemed about the same.
Here is info gleened from a earlier post [I believe it was Mark (Birdoprey) that made the original post] regarding which are which (long vs short):

Here are the bikes that use the SHORT COPs(that i've found so-far):
98-2000 GSXR600 SRAD
01-03 GSXR600
98-99 GSXR750 SRAD
00-05 GSXR750
01-08 GSXR1000
99-08 Hayabusa(GSX1300R)
02-08 R1
99-02 R6
04-07 R6
03-08 CBR600rr
03-06 ZX6/ZX636(maybe the 07-up as well, just have not verified that yet)
98-03 ZX9
00-05 ZX12
06-08 ZX14

I found one set of R6 coil sticks that said they were 03 and they were the long type. Not sure if that was a typo or what. So, on the R6 coil sticks, i'm not 100%. Might be good to shy away from the R6 cops anyway due to the previously posted problems with some of them, at least on the 03-04 R6's.
These use the longer type COPs:
CBR929(all years)
CBR954(all years)
CBR f4/f4i
CBR1000rr(04-08)
98-02 ZX6
Looks like the wiring harnesses from ANY of these bikes will work on any of the coil sticks(long or short).

So I guess either way (short or long), the only difference is the longer ones are a bit tougher to finagle in there? Wait, just saw that the 04-07 R6's listed as the short type. Cool.

I was browsing for a coil/harness combo and most were in the $75- $100 range...I kept trying different searches...."R1 coil", "GSXR coil" "CBR coil", trying to maybe find a deal somewhere, but I was figuring I would spend at least $75. Then I finally tried "R6 coil" and those popped up. WOAH! $28.95 shipped! Buy It Now, please. Now I guess the joke will be on me if they're no good, but he stated excellent condition and had good feedback regarding parts.

Well, the results are in, and this mod gets a big thumbs-up from me(for whatever that's worth). Yesterday I did 550 miles of "enthusiastic" riding and not a hiccup in sight. Hot starts were absolutely effortless....the engine fired on the first compression, every time. You'd barely tap the starter and it'd be off and running. Cold starts are easier also....maybe 1/4 choke is enough to fire it and hold a 1200RPM idle, and after maybe a minute it idles happily without choke. My sticks came off a 2007 R6, so it seems that later model R6 coils are a-ok to use.

Having read about the hotter spark with COP's, I decided to check a plug this morning after the ride. Running stock DPR8EA plugs. What I found is a bit puzzling. The plugs look new. Like they haven't even been run. The insulator is still clean white, and there is maybe a teeny bit of dark gray deposit on the electrode. Tough to tell lean or rich, though the bike ran fantastic all day, and returned 40mpg even after some of the hardest riding I've ever done(hours of 90+ highway speeds, frequent roll ons well into triple digits, lots of passing, and high speeds up steep hills(105 up an 8% grade). Temps were in the high 80's all day, and the temp gauge never budged from it's usual hangout of about 1/3-1/2 up the scale. Then on the "tame" (cruise at 75) ride home, I got 40 again. Doesn't seem like running it hard hurt my mileage any. In fact, I got slightly better (42) with high highway speeds. Go figure.

Here's a pic of one of the plugs. The others look virtually identical. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 101
Well, the results are in, and this mod gets a big thumbs-up from me(for whatever that's worth). Yesterday I did 550 miles of "enthusiastic" riding and not a hiccup in sight. Hot starts were absolutely effortless....the engine fired on the first compression, every time. You'd barely tap the starter and it'd be off and running. Cold starts are easier also....maybe 1/4 choke is enough to fire it and hold a 1200RPM idle, and after maybe a minute it idles happily without choke. My sticks came off a 2007 R6, so it seems that later model R6 coils are a-ok to use.

Having read about the hotter spark with COP's, I decided to check a plug this morning after the ride. Running stock DPR8EA plugs. What I found is a bit puzzling. The plugs look new. Like they haven't even been run. The insulator is still clean white, and there is maybe a teeny bit of dark gray deposit on the electrode. Tough to tell lean or rich, though the bike ran fantastic all day, and returned 40mpg even after some of the hardest riding I've ever done(hours of 90+ highway speeds, frequent roll ons well into triple digits, lots of passing, and high speeds up steep hills(105 up an 8% grade). Temps were in the high 80's all day, and the temp gauge never budged from it's usual hangout of about 1/3-1/2 up the scale. Then on the "tame" (cruise at 75) ride home, I got 40 again. Doesn't seem like running it hard hurt my mileage any. In fact, I got slightly better (42) with high highway speeds. Go figure.

Here's a pic of one of the plugs. The others look virtually identical. Thoughts?

awesome dude that it worked out. where do you have your needles set on the long run, did you go back to 3 or still 2.5???? wondering if it was clip position or cop that gave you the mileage back

I moved the needles back to where they were when I got the bike, 4th clip from the pointy end on the stage 1's. I had tried third out, but the bike didn't run any better and just used a lot more gas, so I put them back. However, I do tend to think the COPs may have helped mileage a bit also... or maybe help "maintain" mileage under hard conditions? I dunno. I was amazed that I still got 40+mpg under the conditions I had....I was expecting to hit reserve by 100 mi or so, but the light didn't come on until 120. The M109 I was with only returned like 32mpg under the same conditions, he usually gets 43-45 or so. Kind of a nebulous concept.

bikebandit says no, but they may be. use it to look up the part numbers and do a search and it will show u all the machines they fit.

Theoretically running a coil that has a lower primary resistance than stock without a ballast resistor will heat up the coil driver and shorten its lifespan.

Id just like to hear from the people that are running the COPs without a ballast resistor. Hows it going so far?

Theoretically running a coil that has a lower primary resistance than stock without a ballast resistor will heat up the coil driver and shorten its lifespan.

Id just like to hear from the people that are running the COPs without a ballast resistor. Hows it going so far?
I have been running mine w/o a resistor for almost 6k miles. I have experianced no problems thus far.
Although I will be adding my custom made harness' which has the resistors as soon as the snow flies, thanks to Gannon!

I'm pushing around 8k with mine with no adverse effects. I'd think if the lower resistance caused excessive current, it would have done in the ignition box by now. The analog's can't handle it and as you said heat up and die from the current, so do the dyna's. I have yet to hear of anyone's digital box going bad.

An interesting thing I noticed. In checking out a hesitation that feels like one cylinder is dropping in and out, I started it up in the dark, and wiggled each coil stick around. All them arc'ed to the head with even the slightest movement. At idle it didn't seem to cause a misfire, but that doesn't mean on the highway, at higher load and RPM and the sticks jiggling slightly from wind/bumps/vibration whatever, it didn't start to arc and cause the plug to not fire.

I removed all four, cleaned the surface, coated them in dielectric grease, then wrapped them in electrical tape. Now there is no arcing, so see if this helps. Weather has been ultra shitty around here recently and haven't gotten a chance to ride.

Back