Maybe a charging problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi
a while ago, after a short stop buying fuel, i suddenly couldnt start the bike. The starter couldnt crank the engine. I ran the bike to start and when i Got back i figured out that my battery was dead
i charged the battery and could now start the bike again without problem.
I have tested the battery at idle and rev the rpm to around 5000 but it doesnt Seem to charge Holding the multimeter on the battery.
Checked the stator and Holding multimeter on it seems to be functioning In the right Way with ok output. Easily above 20v ac.
checked the rectifier with multimeter diode and it seems to be functioning.
so now im lost for ideas. Wires from rectifier seems also to be ok.
Hope for help
Thanks
Soren

vmax from 97 around 25.000 miles

The stator should be putting out about 70 volts AC per leg to the R/R. On the other side reading off the battery, you should have close to 14 volts DC above idle.

I always begin with grounds and connectors when looking for electrical issues.

Your description suggests the R/R isn't working to charge the battery, on the battery side of the R/R.

I have tested the battery at idle and rev the rpm to around 5000 but it doesnt Seem to charge Holding the multimeter on the battery.

A few flow charts which should help you diagnose the issue.

Attachments

• Troubleshooting battery charging problems.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Charging system fault_finding flow chart.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • diode-testing-procedure.pdf
    432 KB · Views: 10
Hi
a while ago, after a short stop buying fuel, i suddenly couldnt start the bike. The starter couldnt crank the engine. I ran the bike to start and when i Got back i figured out that my battery was dead
i charged the battery and could now start the bike again without problem.
Checked the stator and Holding multimeter on it seems to be functioning In the right Way with ok output. Easily above 20v ac.
checked the rectifier with multimeter diode and it seems to be functioning.
so now im lost for ideas. Wires from rectifier seems also to be ok.
Hope for help
Thanks
Soren

vmax from 97 around 25.000 miles
UPDATE:
Have now tested the rectifier, Connected to the stator and measured the output voltage from the +\- cable plug from the rectifier. Output voltage measured is below 1.00. Do People agree that it must be the rectifier?

Back