Me 880

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlaws justice

Reaction score
I have had the ME880 on the back of my max for almost a year and while the wear has been good, in fact tread still is great. But, I HATE the tire. for touring and such probably a good tire, in the corners and under power it spins and slides.

My Dunlops were always very good and the Avons we have on the other bike are great! So todau even though I could get another 6k from this tire it is off the bike. New Avons going on today!

I just put a ME880 200/50-R18 on the rear and a
ME880 130/70-R18 on the front. The bike is torn
down for other parts I"m waiting on. I hope this
was the right choice for tires. I have used the Avons
on my other bikes with excellent results. I was
going to get a set of Avons for the max but was
talked into the Metzelers by the guy I bought the
new wheels from. Imay regret this decision.

I personally like the ME's. Ive never had an issue with them spinning out

I too, have been planning to buy the MEs after the OEM stuff wears out. I believe this is the first negative comment I've found. Every anecdotal story has been quite positive. Thanks for the extra info Outlaws Justice. I'll keep my investigation going.

When I still ran bias ply tires, I used the Avons and I liked them. I think I liked the profile on them more than the other tires. However I could easily go through at least 1 (back) tire a season. Not so much with the radials... probably because they cost more!

I had the ME880 Marathon on the back size was 170-80-15. Previousy I used the stock Dunlops and we have also used the stock Bridgestones.

I tend to get into the corners hard and even scrape a peg on occasion so I push them a little hard. I have never had the back of the bike want to slide out (Power Slide) with either of the other two and many folks I have talked with say the Avon is even better than the Dunlops so today that is what she is getting.

Front Super Venom 110-90-18
Rear Venom 150-90-15

I think the Metzler would be great for general riding and touring (Which I do some of that) but not the way I like to play!!! So off with the slippery tires and on with Avons!

I also kicked the stock dunny off the rear and slapped on an Avon Venom. Tire has been great thusfar, have about 600 miles on it.

My old man ran the Metz's on his vtx a year ago and the rear just didn't last all that long, maybe 4k miles. So I'm giving the Avon's a shot and see how long it lasts.

I had a 170 avon venom then a metz 880 marathon.I got 1800 miles out of the avon then 3000 out of the marathon.I'm running radials now so we'll see.The bias tires for me always spun on acceleration. Shawn

shawn kloker said:
I had a 170 avon venom then a metz 880 marathon.I got 1800 miles out of the avon then 3000 out of the marathon.I'm running radials now so we'll see.The bias tires for me always spun on acceleration. Shawn

I found it easier to spin the bias ply tire. Now with the radial it doesn't spin as easy and seems to launch better.

Where did you guys find the radials at? When I went looking for a new rear, I thought I might get a radial instead. However, all I found where bias tires.

Calimus said:
Where did you guys find the radials at? When I went looking for a new rear, I thought I might get a radial instead. However, all I found where bias tires.

They don't make radials for 15 inch wheels
When you hear someone has radials automatically know they have changed their wheels to 17 or 18 inch
Some maxers use a 170/15 Bias but the stock wheel is too narrow for it yet they say they had no problem with it, I never tried that, I changed to 17 inch radials front and rear using Kosman
$1000 and 3-4 wks, more expensive wheels are also available if your pockets are deep :)
firefly
________
buy extreme q vaporizer

Last edited:
Until I can afford 17" wheels I will have to stick with the Bias Ply Tires. The Avons are now on the Bike but rain everyday, Will have better weather over in New Hampshire this week so maybe I will get to break them in over there and give a report when I return.

firefly said:
They don't make radials for 15 inch wheels
When you hear someone has radials automatically know they have changed their wheels to 17 or 18 inch
Some maxers use a 170/15 Bias but the stock wheel is too narrow for it yet they say they had no problem with it, I never tried that, I changed to 17 inch radials front and rear using Kosman
$1000 and 3-4 wks, more expensive wheels are also available if your pockets are deep :)
firefly

I knpow someone who runs 170's on the stock rim. Seems to be working ok, but you do have to switch a washer over on the shaft drive for it to clear

I used to run Dunlop's 160/80-15 until they quit making them. :damn angry: Generally got 3k miles out of the rear.
Been using the ME880's since. I tend to run the corners pretty hard and haven't noticed any significant loss of traction. Could be different type road surfaces used in the South.
I've been averaging 6-7k with the Metz's.

I just finished my mods to my 2005 vmax. Hole shot
frame braces, Works dual rate front fork spring kit,
Progressive rear shocks, Sportmax notched and braced swingarm, Sportmax 18 x 5.5 rear alloy rim, Sportmax
18 x 3.5 front alloy rim. ME-880 130/70-R18 front tire
and a ME-880 180/55-ZR18 rear tire. I was going to
use an 200/50-R18 rear tire but I decided to go with
the 180. The 200 is a pretty tight fit in the swingarm.
I tend to ride my favorite twisties pretty hard, I think
the 180 will handle better in the twisties.
I took the max for a test ride last evening on my
favorite back roads. What a difference! The changes
turned what I considered a dangerous bike in terms
of handling to power ratio into a really sweet ride.
The bike tracks thru a turn almost like my Ducati. A
very solid feel versus the rubberband feel you get on the
stock bike. Its not quite a sportbike but I never intended
the max to be a sportbike. Its has turned into the best
all around bike I have ever owned in terms of comfort,
handling and power. The grin factor is way up there.

Dale
I'd like to check out what you've done sometime. I live 35 miles west of Katy. Maybe we could hook up sometime to Max terrorize the villagers! :punk0000:

vmx12s said:
I used to run Dunlop's 160/80-15 until they quit making them. :damn angry: Generally got 3k miles out of the rear.

:surprise:

Man, I'd go broke replacing tires at 3-4k miles.

I recently put an avon venom-x on the rear. I'm hoping to get 8-10k outta it. I know it's a snowballs chance though.

Realisticly, I hop to get around 5-6k as I know I'll put more then that on the bike in a year. 3 tire replacements in a year would certainly draw some ire from the wife.

KRL0215 said:
I knpow someone who runs 170's on the stock rim. Seems to be working ok, but you do have to switch a washer over on the shaft drive for it to clear
I'm running 170's on the back with no washer swap and no rubbing.

Calimus said:
:surprise:

Man, I'd go broke replacing tires at 3-4k miles.

3 tire replacements in a year would certainly draw some ire from the wife.

I used to ride with a much heavier hand. I haven't done a proper burn-out in a long time! :eek:
I also rigged up my own bead breaker, irons, and balancer and now change my own tires. Saves big bucks shopping tires online and swapping them myself.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

Back