Measured valve clearances

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We usually just make sure they are pointed straight up but that angle is ok as well. You have one snug exhaust that needs a thinner shim. The other exhaust shims are bottom of the tolerance range and will likely need adjustments the next time you get into the engine but i'd leave them as is.

Oh, okay. I did the procedure as it was described in the Haynes manual.

I'll replace the one shim and leave the rest, as you suggested.

Yes it is.:D

On another note ..

I'm going batshit crazy over here.

I've been trying to allign the valve shim tool for over one and a half hour. Tried every possible position. No luck. Nothing.

In my mind:

"Aaarrrgh!"
"You see know?"
"Loser."
"Why try to be a DIY mechanic?"
"Fool."

I had to leave my garage and go do something else. After 5 minutes I got the bright idea to see if it's even the right tool in the first place.

Well. It isn't. :rolleyes:

IMG_20190116_170532.jpg

Bought it from a store on Ebay. They didn't send what I ordered. 04106 instead of 04105.:confused:

Sent a message. Awaiting response.

Yep. Realised that after I compared the pictures of the two tools.

I hope eBay seller "georgefix" will correct the mistake.

I'm sure I will be too. :)

He responded very quickly and is going to fix the problem. I've sent the tool back and he's going to send the correct one today.

1 more thing get one of the old hands here to give you the tricks to sealing the valve cover gasket. Made a few new curse words over that before I figured out that the cheep ebay gaskets were not going to work got oem and no more problem.

1 more thing get one of the old hands here to give you the tricks to sealing the valve cover gasket. Made a few new curse words over that before I figured out that the cheep ebay gaskets were not going to work got oem and no more problem.
I've tied the gasket in place with thread then slipped the thread out. Got another pair of hands to help. Lately I've glued the gasket into the cover with a little yamabond, with good sucsess. If in doubt, I'll run a feeler gauge under the gasket once the cover in in place to make sure it's in the groove. While the sealer is open, a little on the round ends is helpful too.

I put on the rear cylinder cover back on yesterday, as the shims were all within spec.

I used this gasket:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cYR2Bnyy

It was a gamble, but I always want to try things out. AliExpress is not all crap in my opinion.

Well, it fits like a glove. The rubber itself seems of good quality as well.

Edit:

I just received the OEM gaskets. This is of far better quality then the AliExpress ones!

Last edited:
1 [...] got oem and no more problem.

Yes! Make sure you take some volatile solvent (MEK or other) and clean the mating surfaces absolutely clean before you torque the covers down. ANY trace of oil left will cause the seam to weep at the least... even if you use RTV sealer.

Spray the gasket with permatex hi-tack gasket spray.
Spray some in the cap of the can and apply to groove of the valve cover with a q-tip.
Wait a few minutes for it to set up.
Install gasket into groove.
Apply yamabond to "semi circle" in cylinder head.
Set valve cover gasket on cylinder head and torque it down.
Yes, you need to spend a few dollars on chemicals but it makes life SO much easier than trying to fight the gasket!

I put on the rear cylinder cover back on yesterday, as the shims were all within spec.

I used this gasket:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cYR2Bnyy

It was a gamble, but I always want to try things out. AliExpress is not all crap in my opinion.

Well, it fits like a glove. The rubber itself seems of good quality as well.
I agree not all cheap is crap.I just had trouble with mine and it was prob my fault I was in a hurry trying to get it to the track cause they wouldn't be open for another month at the time. I hope it works great for ya I see the guys gave ya all great advice ,there great I don't know what I would do without them GOOD LUCK!

Yes! Make sure you take some volatile solvent (MEK or other) and clean the mating surfaces absolutely clean before you torque the covers down. ANY trace of oil left will cause the seam to weep at the least... even if you use RTV sealer.
Yep. Seems the liquid sealer I've used to keep the gasket in place, is now giving me a very bad headache.

Today was the first day I was able to go for a ride. I stopped twice. Noticed some small oil leaks and red stuff (liquid gasket) "erupting" from the valve covers.

My thoughts:

"Shit..."
"Ah.. well."
"Not much oil."
"I'll leave it as it is."

But once I arrived at my home, I saw the real "damage" after the 50 mile trip.

Oil everywhere. Even on the rear tire. Glad I didn't wreck the bike or myself today.

Oil everywhere. Even on the rear tire. Glad I didn't wreck the bike or myself today.

Oil is as bad on the rear tire as ArmorAll® is on the seat. I did that… ONCE!

Oil is designed to perform a very specific function. I never cease to be amazed at its ability to seep into the smallest of spaces. The bearing cap rides on an incredibly thin 0.0025" film and yet it never touches the crankshaft journal. Even under massive force of the piston slamming the two together.

Whenever two surfaces are being mated together that have even the slightest trace of oil, that oil has occupied the surfaces on a molecular level. The only way to clean it is to use a solvent with a smaller molecule. Use a white paper towel and continue cleaning with a new surface of that towel until there is no sign of discoloration when you wipe the surface.

I'm sorry you experienced this problem but we’ve all have had to do a mechanical repair more than once in order to get it right.

When you reassemble the covers, of course, clean the machine surfaces but also use some Dawn® (my personal choice) dishwashing detergent to clean all traces of oil off of the gasket and your hands… and the covers. That way you can be sure no oil drips out of them when they are being fitted.

I learned my lesson. I'll handle it, if it were a nuclear device or a interstellar spacecraft. I even ordered the OEM gaskets now, just to be on the safe side. The other ones looked fine, but I'm not taking any changes.

...I even ordered the OEM gaskets now, just to be on the safe side. The other ones looked fine, but I'm not taking any changes.
You can't go wrong with OEM but you can pay more for nothing. NOTE: The best way to guarantee that part you are installing is identical to what came on the new product, is to know who the OEM is or to buy the product with the product’s (Yamaha’s two tuning forks) logo.

Notice that "OEM" doesn't always mean products are marked with the manufacturer's (Yamaha’s) logo. Sometimes a manufacturer's "OEM" parts will be sold with the manufacturer's logo removed or with a different logo.

For example, “ACME Manufacturing Company, Incorporated,” produces Widgets for installation on “Wile E Coyote Corporation's” Jet Powered Motorcycle. ACME is the “Original Equipment Manufacturer” for the JPM product line. These Widgets have the WEC, Corp. logo cast into the part. However, ACME also sells their Widgets to many different companies and directly to the consumer.

WEC, Corp. allows this because the Widget is a great product and because ACME products always work exactly as designed. The problem is that ACME can’t justify the costs of production only to provide the limited volume WEC, Corp. requires.

These Widgets are sold using the ACME logo and they are identical to the ones they sell for installation in the JPM. They are "OEM" products but sell at a discounted price because they don't have the WEC, Corp. logo.

Since the Wile E. Coyote Corporation is such a good customer, ACME deliberately produces more Widgets than contracted. This, so ACME will be able to fulfill orders covering greater than anticipated sales of the popular JPM. When WEC, Corp. didn't purchase these parts because it decided to stop producing the JPM because of safety issues, (no brakes and no way to shut off the rocket once ignited) ACME machined off the WEC, Corp. logo and sold these parts as "OEM” to the aftermarket

Good for ACME and good for the customer who can buy these parts at a discount.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back