Metal particals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joelglenn

Reaction score
I have a 1997 vmax. When I changed my oil I started noticing fine partials of metal in my oil. It is the color of brass. There's alot of it also. When I start it sometimes it sounds like the timing chain just slapped in the engine. Could this be timing chain, or water pump. I don't know. Does someone might know what this is?

We can all guess and offer suggestions but that won't fix the issue. The only sure fire way is to strip the motor to find the culprit.
I don't recall that there are may brass coloured components - bearing backing material? If the cam chain was slack then I can't think of anything brass it could chew nor do I recall anything brass in the water pump.

Ok, thank you for your time. I'll let everyone know what I find. I'm now thinking maybe it's particles from the clutch. Anyways thanks again for your time.

I'm with Kyle, anytime I hear of that, I suspect main bearings, maybe rod bearings. You might be hearing an incipient rod knock. Expect it to only get worse. I wouldn't be using it much before things get worse.

Buy mechanic stethoscope with metal rod.
Another way is to start cellphone camera and move it around engine. Try to keep same distance 2"(?) Watch video on computer.
Diagnosing first!!!!! It would be a good idea to bring your bike to repair shop and let mechanic listen. I would go to a local car shop owner.

I had a similar experience with a Honda V65.

I could head a knocking noise under light throttle at mid RPM.

Using a stethoscope, I was almost sure it was coming form the #2 cylinder.

As it got worse, I changed the oil and found the oil had a brass colored metallic sheen, like you described.

I removed the spark plug and rotated the crank (in the normal direction) until the #2 piston was just past TDC. At this point, the connecting rod is pulling on the piston.

Using an extension for a 1/4" ratchet, I pushed on the piston and I could feel it move down a couple of millimeters. Then I knew I had a con rod bearing failure.

I tried one of the other cylinders and I could confirm a normal feeling.

Unfortunately, you might need an engine teardown even if you find the cause.

Back