method to temporary quiet down loud exhausts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptnov

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anybody on this forum have any methods to temporary silence the exhausts while doing work on the vmax? The reason i need to do this is because my neighbors kinda hate my loud exhausts, and i want to be able to sync my carbs without driving out of the hood :p

Would something like wrapping the exhaust in towels or anything help? Maybe that'll just make stuff burn?

The process to sync your carbs should have your bike running no more than 10 minutes, although it is preferred to sync a engine once it is warmed up. I'm not sure you want to somehow impede your exhaust to make it quieter which may affect the sync process(I'm not sure though).
Maybe you could ride it up to a local empty lot or service station with your sync tool and do the sync there? I have to remove my aftermarket carb covers to get to the sync ports which normally takes longer to take off/ reinstall than the sync takes.

Tell them their lawnmowers are just as annoying !! I say get a boom box play some rapping crap they appreciate the fine sound of a legend if not funk 'em that's my 0.20 cents worth

He's in Sweden where they charge for beer based on the societal costs of dealing with alcoholism. A loud exhaust might get a visit from the police who confiscate his bike because the exhaust isn't stock. He's just trying to be considerate to his neighbors.

You might try to add some baffle just for the length of time it takes to do the synch. What type of exhaust do you have that causes such a racket?

Anything that reduces exhaust flow during the sync process is not good. Fire-medics solution sounds like the simplest thing to do. I drive my neighbors crazy cause I run fans on the radiator and sync at 3,000 RPM's. Sometimes it takes half an hour to satisfy my need for perfection. Both bikes run perfect when I'm done though. Good Luck. BTW: Most of my neighbors don't speak English anyway so their complaints are like water on a Duck to me.:rofl_200:

He's in Sweden where they charge for beer based on the societal costs of dealing with alcoholism. A loud exhaust might get a visit from the police who confiscate his bike because the exhaust isn't stock. He's just trying to be considerate to his neighbors.

You might try to add some baffle just for the length of time it takes to do the synch. What type of exhaust do you have that causes such a racket?

Haha exactly as you describe it! How did you know? :) I have UFO megzillas and use the SBD caps to silence it down, although it's still very loud. I'm also living in apartment area, mostly oldies that stick out thier heads through thier balcony. Bike riders in the apartment appreciate though :)

I'll check upp baffles for megaphone exhausts :) you got any tips?

The process to sync your carbs should have your bike running no more than 10 minutes, although it is preferred to sync a engine once it is warmed up. I'm not sure you want to somehow impede your exhaust to make it quieter which may affect the sync process(I'm not sure though).
Maybe you could ride it up to a local empty lot or service station with your sync tool and do the sync there? I have to remove my aftermarket carb covers to get to the sync ports which normally takes longer to take off/ reinstall than the sync takes.

I rode it to local gas station :)

Anything that reduces exhaust flow during the sync process is not good. Fire-medics solution sounds like the simplest thing to do. I drive my neighbors crazy cause I run fans on the radiator and sync at 3,000 RPM's. Sometimes it takes half an hour to satisfy my need for perfection. Both bikes run perfect when I'm done though. Good Luck. BTW: Most of my neighbors don't speak English anyway so their complaints are like water on a Duck to me.:rofl_200:

Never thought of syncing it with higher RPMs, would probably be hell lotta easier than how I'm doing it :p I do it like the manual - set idle at 1000 and sync. lol jumps as hell. DO you use choke to sync it?

Back