- Metzeler Rear ME 880 150/80VB-15? -

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warp12

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these tires at the dragstrip? I wonder how they stack up, grip-wise to the oem tires?? I have a gut feeling that they grip like hard plastic, based on the long tread life.

If someone has used one at the track, tell me what kind of 60' times you have turned on them. I know the Shinko is the stickiest, but man those tires are heavy as lead! :biglaugh:

I think shinko is lighter than metzler

I think shinko is lighter than metzler

That would be pretty surprising. The listed weight I found for the Shinko is 21 lbs, and the listed weight for the Metzeler is 16.25 lbs. But without having both tires on hand it is impossible to say.

I can tell you that Shinko's are some of the heaviest drag racing radials that you can get. They can weigh 14.5-15 lbs, while a comparably sized (and sticky) Michelin Power One weighs 12.5 lbs.

If thats true the rear rim on a 1985 vmax is alot lighter than a 2002 because i weighed them and the 1985 with a shinko was 5lbs lighter than 2002 with metzler

If thats true the rear rim on a 1985 vmax is alot lighter than a 2002 because i weighed them and the 1985 with a shinko was 5lbs lighter than 2002 with metzler

I would like to weigh a 1985 rear rim, I have a spare late model rim here, which weighs 16.7 lbs. Was the Metz a 150/80, a 150/90 or the 170 width? Which Shinko, and how equal was the wear on the tires?

Mike, did you drag race on the Metzeler? If so, how was it, grip-wise?

Just an update, the 1985 rear wheel is just about 1 lb lighter than late model. The new Shinko 230 150/90-15 tire I bought is 17.8 lbs. I haven't been able to weigh any other rear tires, but it is a lot lighter than I thought it would be!

I havent ran my metzler at the strip yet but i can tell you it grips better than i thought it would on the street. But the shinko out grips it for sure.

I havent ran my metzler at the strip yet but i can tell you it grips better than i thought it would on the street. But the shinko out grips it for sure.

I still have the Dunlop on my rear wheel. No big deal since the track day we paid for is likely rained out on Friday. It's supposed to be clear through Thursday evening, of course. :bang head:

Back