Metzler and Shinko Users

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey all, I need tires and I've read many of the post about both the Mets and the Shinkos but I'm still on the fence as to what to get. I would like to place the order no later than Monday and wondered if I could pick your brains for a moment about the pros and cons of both tires.

In summary from what I've read, Shinkos are very sticky, good tire for the money. The Mets are harder compound therefore may get more mileage ouf of the tire but are much more expensive compared to the Shinko's

My bike had the stock tires and I'm just smoking the rear when I get on it through the gears.

I'm torn..I'd love to be able to get the front end up in the air from time to time , which from the sounds of it , the Shinkos would be the way to go becuase they apparantely offer the best traction between the two brands... But on the other hand becuase they are so sticky , I 've read that burnouts are hard to do..I think I would miss sliding the rear out once in a while.

So not sure which would be the "more fun" tire choice and was hoping those that have expereiences with both tires could chime in and list maybe the pro's and cons of either tire...I'm not really interested in the mileage of the tires.

I am planning on going with 170/80/15 in the rear and 110/90/18 up front.

By the way motorcycle super store is backorded on the Shinkos and coudnt say when they would get a new supply in...guy said it could be a month? Tires Unlimited has em in stock but a littler higher in price ..Thanks for your help

I got the best deal I could find anywhere on Shinkos from bikebandit.com, and they had them in stock and shipped out very quickly.

If I was you I would go the Shinko route. Here are my reasons:

- this tire is V-rated, the correct rating for your bike. (the ME880 is not)
- while it's very sticky (great handling), if you lean forward a little it's still easy to burn out
- it's still well sticky in the wet
- because it's softer, it wears quicker, so if you don't like them it won't take too long until replacement is due
- wheelies will come easily when the rear tire is warm
- at this price, you simply can't go wrong!

If you truely don't care about mileage, get the Shinkos. If you ride with a group, be warned: the shinkos throw A LOT of grit. My GF hated my shinkos. They sandblasted her bike when she was behind me. FYI

Thanks Naughty, I tried Bike Bandit today as well and it stated 2 week availability and I tried to get someone on the phone to ask about that and I had to hang up after being on hold for close to 10 minutes..

You pretty much got the idea...shinkos are stickier, about the stickiest tire you can go for that could be considered for street use. They wear out fast though...heard reports here that some people were getting as little as 2-4k on a rear tire. Shinko's are also V-rated (149mph), what the Max calls for (and should have).

I run the ME880 Marathon....170 rear, no washer swap required. I can fit two quarters in the swingarm clearance. Not as sticky as the Shinko, but in turn will last longer. I've got about 2500 hard miles on mine and easily 50% left. They're only rated for 130mph, but that's at maximum load for one hour continuous. I've ridden at 130+ for 10-15 minutes straight before, peaked at about 145, and obviously(I'm still here) no problem. Reports range from 5k to nearly 10k depending on use. I wouldn't worry too much about the speed rating.

The Metz are almost double the price of the Shinko, so the shorter life can be excused, but you also need to consider the price of mounting them, usually $30-$40 or so unless you can do it yourself. To me the quality and fantastic handling of the Metz justify the price, but to each his own.

Honestly "wheelie vs burnout" ability never crossed my mind when I got new tires. I was in the same metz vs shinko boat earlier this year, and ended up going with the Metz. Compared to the bridgestone front/avon rear the bike came with, it's a million times better, both in traction and handling.

I can only speak for the Metzlers........

This is my first set since not running stock Bridgestones & Dunlops all these years. All I can say is WOW!!! what a major step up in the level of tire that they are over stocks. I've never had such a high confidence level of leaning the bike over.....they track down the road (over shredded up road getting ready to be paved no less!!) and track beautifully one handed even........wheelie traction is fine.....haven't done many burn-outs with them yet....sure that's not a problem either :clapping:.....more money but I haven't worried once about the investment since buying them.......I went 180 front/120 rear, no washer swap.....all is well over 4000 miles and counting.......

I went 180 front/120 rear, no washer swap.....all is well over 4000 miles and counting.......

You managed to fit a 180 in the rear without washer swap? I honestly though that 170 was the maximum size that would fit in the OEM swingarm?

What's the 180 profile size?

You managed to fit a 180 in the rear without washer swap? I honestly though that 170 was the maximum size that would fit in the OEM swingarm?

What's the 180 profile size?

I'm sorry...I mis-typed....170/80 on rear......fit one quarter between swingarm on left side and a good 1-1/2" on right side......

....and I reversed front/rear tires sizes I see also.....

too much gonja I guess....:confused2:

I don't have confidence in the Shinkos for the twisties or quick stops. I do have Metz 880s on the Royal Star , but that's a different animal altogether. They track very well and do give me confidence in leaning that pig over.

I can only speak for the Metzlers........

This is my first set since not running stock Bridgestones & Dunlops all these years. All I can say is WOW!!! what a major step up in the level of tire that they are over stocks. I've never had such a high confidence level of leaning the bike over.....they track down the road (over shredded up road getting ready to be paved no less!!) and track beautifully one handed even........wheelie traction is fine.....haven't done many burn-outs with them yet....sure that's not a problem either :clapping:.....more money but I haven't worried once about the investment since buying them.......I went 180 front/120 rear, no washer swap.....all is well over 4000 miles and counting.......

Notch the lower fork tubes Mike? :biglaugh:

Nice find Danny! Is it just coincidence that the rear tread looks exactly like a Metz 880? Just saying...

Nice find Danny! Is it just coincidence that the rear tread looks exactly like a Metz 880? Just saying...

Don't know Pat but probably not....proven Metzler design and all that.

They're a single compound tire with more steel belts in the center than on the edges, more steel = less flex & heat = longer life....just the opposite for the edges....less steel = more flex & heat = more traction.

I'm real impressed with the concept! :punk:

Thanks Naughty, I tried Bike Bandit today as well and it stated 2 week availability and I tried to get someone on the phone to ask about that and I had to hang up after being on hold for close to 10 minutes..

What'd you end up going with Auggie?

--

I have teh Metz on the rear only, only complain is that it locks up easily under hard braking, which is probably more due to the brakes themselves.

Hey guys, well I placed the order today at motorcycle superstore and went with the metzlers...Honestly it was a hard decision and based on the comments I've read hear and my own experience with tires in the past on my first bike, I went with the Metzlers. Local dealer wants 40 buck each wheel with tires off the bike. the Price difference was about 100 bucks for the set. I think one factor that also swayed me towards the Metzlers was that I was able to call Metzler and speak to someone on the phone regarding the specs of the tire..When I tried to find a contact number for Shinko it lead to jsut an email contact. Going try going with the dnya beads rather then weights on the wheels..If every thing goes smooth, tires should be mounted and ready to go by next weekend...

Latest posts

Back