MI car collector has to liquidate to avoid penalties

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
To Ron Dauzet, it’s a collection of more than 200 cars—some common, some rare, everything from old BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes to MGs and Jeeps and Porsches. But to the Michigan town he lives in, it’s an unlicensed junkyard, an eyesore, and the cars must go. But Ron fears they must go at a quicker rate than he, or anyone else, can possibly manage. Ron, 74, is being forced to sell off his enormous car collection at a rate of 20 cars per month because of a township ordinance banning the storage of unregistered vehicles outdoors. And he is utterly overwhelmed.

I first learned about Ron Dauzet from an internet forum member who drove to Northfield County, Michigan—located between Ann Arbor and Brighton—to buy a Mazda Miata he had spotted on Craigslist. What the prospective buyer ended up finding was much more than just one little Japanese roadster: it was a giant field filled with scores of old, mostly-European, mostly quirky enthusiast cars.He had, at one point in June, 216 cars on his property.

After seeing photos of the cars on the forum, I went to one of the owner’s many, many Craigslist postings, copied his phone number, and dialed. The voice on the other side was that of a cheery, upbeat older gentleman who told me he was a huge car enthusiast who had been buying up cool cars since he was 21, but that he was now being forced to part with them. When asked why, Dauzet said he wasn’t entirely sure. All he knew was that Northfield Township wanted him to get rid of 20 cars from his flock every month—a rate Ron says is “virtually impossible for one man to do.”

Read more on the link.

ttp://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/a-michigan-town-is-forcing-this-man-to-sell-20-old-cars-off-his-property-every-month/ar-AAs9snb?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

BS!
Nobody noticed these cars before? All 200 just magically appeared one day?
The same crap happens by drag strips.
1st they build developments all around it.
People move in, THEN bitch about the noise until the town starts with curfews and other ordinances.
This is what happen down by me at E Town.
Fortunately the Naps (i think that's who owns it) Are holding strong!
I hope this guy's attorney will find a loop hole for him.

Yep, it's a rotten shame. In the early 90's I used to go to a fantastic state gun range in the Buck Hill management area. It was the longest rifle range in the state and all the high power competitors practiced there. It was very rural with almost no houses within a few miles. As home started to be built I can remember some of the older members complaining that it was the beginning of the end. Well sure enough although there had NEVER been an accident in the range's history it was closed due to it being deemed unsafe. Seems some state politician built a house nearby and decided he didn't want a gun range 2 miles away.

Yep, it's a rotten shame. In the early 90's I used to go to a fantastic state gun range in the Buck Hill management area. It was the longest rifle range in the state and all the high power competitors practiced there. It was very rural with almost no houses within a few miles. As home started to be built I can remember some of the older members complaining that it was the beginning of the end. Well sure enough although there had NEVER been an accident in the range's history it was closed due to it being deemed unsafe. Seems some state politician built a house nearby and decided he didn't want a gun range 2 miles away.

Same here Bro. The town here, has a million reasons why the range is closed. It's out in the woods without a house in sight. Shot gun, black powder, and bow hunting is still allowed in the same area. For now.

Sux to hear a range's closing.
Ironically, out by me they just passed that an old restaurant (that's on a highway) is going to be converted into an indoor range!
This will save me 35min drive to the one we go to now.
All the surrounding houses in the area were bitching that a range was going in tho.
Go figure!

Back in the day we had sand pits or power lines...Steve , you remember going out to the dunes on Great Island in Welfleet to fire off a couple hundred rounds...? Closer to home here we had dumps where we could go shot the rats for target practice...:punk:

All gone now...:confused2:

Rat target practice at the local dump, a traditional small-town pastime. My friend in Detroit said people used to shoot them in the city, too. Much more risk doing that. The former when you miss, a bullet-ridden junk washing machine or refrigerator, the urban setting, someone may get shot.

I think there might be underlying things with this. Hypothetically a developer is waiting till the guy dies, talked with his buddies from the city to get it cleared out so he doesn't have to when he buys the property from the son. Lol, I have seen crazy stuff like that around here. For the buyer it is a waiting game and a win win situation, it looks like you could easily put 3-4 large lots in that area. Like I said just hypothetical

Back