Michelin 15 radial.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at tires and found this Michelin scorcher 11 140-75 R15. Has anybody tried or can you even run this tire on the vmax. If it works it would be great for a rear radial for the max. Any comments are welcome.

Running radials of different types can result in really-bad handling, as will running a combination of radial and bias-ply tires.

A stock rear is 150, this is 140, are you sure that you want to go-smaller?

There is a front 120/70ZR-18 available from revzilla, which would be 1 size larger for the front, however, the width of the wheel is not optimal for radials. Between the wider tire than-stock, and the need for a wider wheel than VMax Gen 1 stock size, to allow a radial tire to sit properly on the rim, that's two things against your choice. Add the difference in speed rating and, 'three-strikes!' I suppose you can say, "but I'm never going to be doing 130+ mph!"
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...eyIDlXSjuPRCRyvscNRoCHOIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
Fire medic. Thanks for the input. I did not realize there is no matching front tire until I read your post. Looks like I will be sticking with my bias ply tires unless somebody comes out with radials for my 85 max. I guess I'll just save my money and look to getting a gen 2 to keep her company. Again thanks.

There are a couple of 15" radial options out there. They're made for Harley Davidson's. Two things you should consider are 1) They are going to lower your bike quite a bit and 2) There is going to be a very large gap between the tire's and the fenders.

A 110 wide radial fits the OEM front wheel ok. But the rear? It's better to get a Max Daddy, weldup, or whatever. I ran this way for a few years until Sean found me a matching Kosman for the front. Proper width for a 120 wide radial.

I can have made widened 17" and 18" wheels for front or rear, not cheap. They will permit the radial tires to sit properly spread-on the rim, to provide the handling according-to the design of the radial tire.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/18-x-5-1-2-rear-wheel.41081/#post-429130

I can get you a 17" X 5-1/2" wide wheel, direct swap-in.

17" wheel size gives the best availability of rubber, you should use the same type of radial front & rear. There are different methods of radial construction, mixing manufacturers front & rear could make your handling unpredictable if not unsafe. You can run a narrow tire on the 18" front rim, it's not optimal width, but it can be done. It isn't advised to go to a wider front tire than stock (using a stock 18" front rim, unwidened) if you choose to run radials, as radials need a wider bead measurement (width) to 'sit' on the rim, compared to bias-ply tires.

Generally, the 17" is welded-up and uses a donor rim, while the 18" is bolted-together and uses a new rim. Both are mated to the splined shaft-drive VMax rear hub. The 17" is $650 and the 18" is $1200. I have an 18" on-hand right now. PM me w/your email.Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_01.jpg Vmax rear 5.5 X 17_02.JPG

I would not try to run a 120 radial on a stock Vmax front wheel. As others have said, a 120 radial will mount to it, but the profile will be compromised. If you're not a rider who attacks the corners, you'll probably be fine, but if you do like to get the bike leaned over, you'll find that the contact patch is.. insufficient.. at greater lean angles.

It's commonly accepted that a 180 rear tire is best matched to a 5.5" rear wheel. I had a 5" rear wheel on my '91 Honda CBR600F2 track bike, and installed a 180/55R17 on it, figuring hey, a half inch of wheel width won't be an issue. It was fine for the first couple of warm-up laps, but on the next lap, at a brisker pace, the rear end stepped out on me, big time. Fortunately I was able to reel it in without high-siding, but I immediately pulled into the pits and swapped over to the 4.5" wheel I had with a 160/60R17 on it. The rest of the day was uneventful as far as tire traction goes. Now imagine that same slide happening with the front end on a Vmax. Game over.

Fire medic I tried to send a pm. Anyway right now I have some other projects going which I am spending money on right now. When I do decide to go with a rim which will take a radial I'll contact you.

I don't do high speed cornering or extreme lean angles, but I am replacing the rear tire every year. I don't run front or rear fenders. My old rear tire (Shinko 180) looks new on the edges and still has the nubs. The center is bald and the profile looks like a car tire now. I just picked up a Firestone All Seasons 185 60 R15 for 20 bucks (like new). There is brand new Shinko 180 (tire number 5) on my bike and once it is shot, I'll be going to the darkside.

How much air are ya putting in that Shinko? I know it fits and have seen a few on, but the oem wheel is a little narrow for a 180 rear. I would think the edges would wear first?

36 psi in the rear, as I weigh 225. No edge wear. In fact, the edges look new. Shinko uses a soft compound and they wear rapidly.

Back