Michelin commander ii

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biotank

Reaction score
Has anyone try this tire on their stock rear rim yet ? and what front should i match with ? I know this is bias tire, but from the photo it looks some what curved like radial tire ?? can I match this with radial front ??

I don't know much about them, they look sort of like IRC' wild flare tires.
I'd match it with the like for the front.

There are a few people here who are Radial front and Bias ply in the back. They'll chime in with their experiences on what their running.

Has anyone try this tire on their stock rear rim yet ? and what front should i match with ? I know this is bias tire, but from the photo it looks some what curved like radial tire ?? can I match this with radial front ??

these tires are radials & are not available in stock sizes.
yes you can mix radial & bias, all the problems arise from the difference in tire size vs stock size which drastically change the bike's handling to twitch and instability when using smaller diameter front tires radial or bias.

both front & rear tires have to be equally smaller, I would go with Metzler front & rear,
these Michelin's wear quickly since they have softer compound. I mixed radial front with bias rear & radial rear with bias front, all will work but finding a 110/90X18 & 150/90X15 is very limited,

I have a 17 inch rear wheel & used radial 160/70X17 which is about the same diameter as a stock 150/90x15, I finally went with stock front bias and a 160/70X17 bias rear & couldn't be happier with the performance vs all the radials I used before.

These are bias, and have all the sizes to fit the rear, 150 and 170, but non for the front.
These are also hard compound for millage...or so they claim....they do look like a sport tire though.
Depending on bike setup, I run a shorter front tire 100 instead of a 110, and the bike handles a lot better and still just as stable in triple digits.
I run pirelli routes".......

The Michelin Commander II creates a new standard with regard to durability, yet without making any compromises in terms of wet weather grip, maneuverability or stability. This performance balance provides yet another eloquent illustration of Michelin’s research and development philosophy: no performance gain to be achieved on one front to the detriment of another.

In response to the major problem faced by custom motorcycle riders – tire life, notably at the rear –, the engineers at the Michelin Technology Center at Ladoux, near Clermont-Ferrand (France), have developed a new rubber compound. The carcass of this new radial tire is associated with Silica Rain Technology (SRT) which integrates silica into the compound of the tire tread, while the Michelin Commander II's tread pattern has been designed to prevent all forms of uneven wear.

The exclusive architecture of the Michelin Commander II brings both maneuverability and stability. The tire’s more rigid, high-density carcass improves maneuverability, while the aramid fiber crown ply of the rear tire enhances resistance and lightness for impeccable stability, even at high speeds.

they do come in 150/90X15 RADIAL which is good news for people who don't want to change the rear wheel.

I have a 160/70X17 comes in radial & bias both tire crowns look like radials 9Mushrum shape) it makes the bike lean easier in turns, I think this Michelin might work very well.

Last edited:
Yah, the tire has both Bias and Radial version ~

unfortunately 150 and 170 only comes in Bias version.

These look interesting, saw them as the new/featured tire on MC superstore.

They claim a 25k mile life, or "double" competitors like the ME880. While I find it tough to believe any tire would last 25k on a Vmax, even if it doubles the 7-8k ME880 life I'm getting, that'd be huge.

They're a bit cheaper than the ME880's also.

I would give these a try next time tire-time rolls around, but since they don't have a front tire (nothing for 18" rims period), I'll probably stick to the ME880s. Don't like to mis-match tires.

I was looking at the same tire 2 weeks ago. They didn't have a matching front so I went with the ME880. I've always been leery about mixing and matching my tires.

I they had a front version of the Michelin Commander that fit my stock rim, I would have given them a shot.

I just put one on the front of my bike 120/70/19R and for sure it's a radial they didn't make a 250 version for my back tire so I put a Avon Cobra 250 on and I like this combo way better than the Dunlop elites I had before.

I'm running the Commander II 150/90/15 on the rear of my 06.

I have logged about 200 miles on it and so far I have no complaints. Grips well corners better than the Dunlop K525 that it replaced.

I have not hit the rain with them yet so the jury is still out on wet road performance but I imagine it will do just fine as I drive like a Granny on wet roads.

Latest posts

Back