Middle Drive Shaft Nut Snap ???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieCobb

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my names Jacob (aka Cobb). I own a Yammie XVS1100 Vstar Classic Cruiser and we 1100 owners have been having a series of failures with the Middle Drive Shaft. The NUT that holds the Uni Joint onto the Middle Drive Shaft (the shaft that exits the motor) suffers a Stress Fracture and snaps off.

As the V-Max also has a very similar shaft drive system I was wondering if any V-Max owners have had this same problem...???

Having checked the Parts diagrams for V-max engines there does seem to be a slight design difference in the shaft end, and im also not sure if the shaft tip where the nut threads on is a different diameter or thread size either. I would apprecaite if someone could tell me what size and thread this shaft tip is...???

While Yamaha continually deny this is a major problem for our bikes we have just had reports that they have changed the design of the Final Shaft end.

Any feedback from V-Max riders would be most appreciated

Cheers

Cobb

Hi everyone, my names Jacob (aka Cobb). I own a Yammie XVS1100 Vstar Classic Cruiser and we 1100 owners have been having a series of failures with the Middle Drive Shaft. The NUT that holds the Uni Joint onto the Middle Drive Shaft (the shaft that exits the motor) suffers a Stress Fracture and snaps off.

As the V-Max also has a very similar shaft drive system I was wondering if any V-Max owners have had this same problem...???

Having checked the Parts diagrams for V-max engines there does seem to be a slight design difference in the shaft end, and im also not sure if the shaft tip where the nut threads on is a different diameter or thread size either. I would apprecaite if someone could tell me what size and thread this shaft tip is...???

While Yamaha continually deny this is a major problem for our bikes we have just had reports that they have changed the design of the Final Shaft end.

Any feedback from V-Max riders would be most appreciated

Cheers

Cobb
I have not heard of any problems with this shaft on the vmax , I sure have not had this problem. There are many others that will have more specific info .
good luck,Jason

I haven't heard of a problem there either. I have heard of the nut loosening and breaking inside the final differential though. That sucks. :) But thanks to a bunch of great guys from this forum I got through it quickly.

I have never had that issue on the vmaxs that I owned over the years and the roads in Northern Ontario are very rough which can put a pounding on the drive system.

Sounds like Yamaha is trying to cover things up which if so, sucks on their part.

As far as diameter of shaft, Sean Morley or Lankee Yankee or others should be able to give you the specs you are looking for. Send them a PM.

Good luck

Mike

I've never heard of any driveline problems after the tranny on the Vmax either except for the occasional Snapped driveshaft:biglaugh:

Never broken that part. I have broken a few engine cases in that area when you get enough HP and traction to shatter the case so if that output driven gear was going to break it would have.

Sean

The vmax does break the threaded section at the coupling end of the pinion shaft. This is common!

This happened on a 96Vmax I was working on. I went to a used part shop and was told I had to buy the whole differential assembly for 18,000pesos, a little over 300US. No way! Not in the Philippines.

I took the drive shaft to a machine shop, had the machinist drill a threaded hole where the threaded section seared off, planted a mild steel bolt, then had the other end threaded and machines as the original.

There was no welding involved as the implanted section tightens when the shaft turns. Total cost 500pesos or 10US. Charged my client 2,500 pesos - he was delighted!:clapping:

The machinist suggested mild steel as hardened steel tend to snap.

This shaft? :biglaugh:

bikepics-1697511-full.jpg

bikepics-1697514-full.jpg

I broke it last weekend, in 150 miles from home :surprise:
Thanks God it was at low speed.

I can't understand why. I ride pretty carefully at that time. No whelle, burnout or teleport :confused2:

That's not a common one to break. You are supposed to keep the gears as matched assemblies but most of the time you can swap it out with another one and be ok.

Sean

These breaks are quite repairable like the vstar which happen all the time for a number of reasons. The end can be drilled and tapped and fixed with a bolt without purchasing a new gear/shaft.

Hey there Guys

I have had this problem happen to my 89 V-Max also...

On the way home from picking it up from the previous owners house this gave way and haven't been able to ride it myself as my mate rode it home...

I have only just got the funds together and the time to be able to open it up and find that the nut had sheared right off...

So today after ordering about $600 AUD worth of parts it will be hopefully fixed and I will get to finally ride it after I give it a new battery and a minor service ie: plugs, oil, coolant flush, etc...

Then I will prolly sell my new Z1000 which I have been loving as this will be the beast I will love to ride as a cruiser after I install highway pegs or change the shifter to a forward style...

Anyhow enough from me..

G'Day from Down Under

DaZ :th_peace:

Welcome to the forum DaZ!
Hmm, it seems this doesn't happen much in the U.S. but according to the previous posts it has happened several times Down Under, for whatever reason. It looks like a trip to your friendly machine shop is in order for a drill/tap/ the shaft. Do you have all the parts that broke, of maybe someone here can give the proper dimensions for the part?
I hope you get her fixed up quick since your just getting into your summer riding season .:punk:

Hi there all readers...

As the dealership where I asked for the parts need to purchase from Japan they said it can take up to 3 months to get my V-Max back on the road...

What I have come here to ask is if anyone has a second hand Mid-Drive unit which is free from damage and not being used and is up for sale? or if anyone over there visits the wreakers a bit and could find out how much one would cost if it wasn't to much trouble?

In the land Down Under especially Perth, Western Australia these machines are not seen on the streets...

Many Thanks in advance..

DaZ :)

Hi there all readers...

As the dealership where I asked for the parts need to purchase from Japan they said it can take up to 3 months to get my V-Max back on the road...

What I have come here to ask is if anyone has a second hand Mid-Drive unit which is free from damage and not being used and is up for sale? or if anyone over there visits the wreakers a bit and could find out how much one would cost if it wasn't to much trouble?

In the land Down Under especially Perth, Western Australia these machines are not seen on the streets...

Many Thanks in advance..

DaZ :)
Well i have one just removed from my bike but shipping would be a killer!

In this case contact Sean/one2dmax.

Back