VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus speedicus

Reaction score
Hey, Guys. Need some help here:
So the other day I was attempting to rebuild my clutch slave (attempted as in failed: slave's allen head bolts are seized on) and in the process I took off the middle gear cover. The Yamaha manual says not to let any oil out when it's taken off. well.... a good 1/4 quart came out. So after wasting a good gasket, my question is: is that oil part of the engine oil or is it a separate entity. I looked over it real quick and didn't see any fill holes but I didn't look very hard. I'm a little worried about this so someones input would ease my nerves. Don't want to blow up the trans.
thanks, guys.

It's part of the engine oil.
What I do for stubborn allen bolts and others, is I break out my trusty needle-nose vise grips. I've used them on everything from froze carb covers to stuck brake rotor bolts.

Love vice grips and use them all the time but that slave is a sonofabitch to get to.....couple things to try, allen wrench on a long extension and whack with a hammer....those bolts are lock tighted on.

Also heat works well too, usually kinda oily in there, try not to set the bike on fire! :punk:

+1. Mid gear oil, engine oil is all the same. Goes in the oil fill and comes out the drain plug.

Seems a couple guys have had issues with those slave bolts recently. Id probably heat the case with a torch, spray some penetrant oil, put one of my socket drive allen keys in there and use my manual impact driver to give it a couple hits with the driver in "neutral". Then wrench it out by hand

Love vice grips and use them all the time but that slave is a sonofabitch to get to.....couple things to try, allen wrench on a long extension and whack with a hammer....those bolts are lock tighted on.

Also heat works well too, usually kinda oily in there, try not to set the bike on fire! :punk:

Looks like you and I were thinking the same time

sweet, guys. thanks. I'll go pick up a set of metric allen headed sockets and pop them with a ratchet and cheater bar and of course PB Blaster.

Essentially Mike but you had to get all sophisticated....I say 'whack it wid a hammer' you talk about 'neutral' on an impact wrench! :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Wonder if my IR has a neutral.....it's really a hell of a good idea! :worthy:

what would the neutral do? i think mine sort of has one. is it just to apply a quick force to it without inducing a direction?

It's part of the engine oil.
What I do for stubborn allen bolts and others, is I break out my trusty needle-nose vise grips. I've used them on everything from froze carb covers to stuck brake rotor bolts.

+1000000000000000 I do the same

As an alternative to heating up the castings there are products on the market which are essentially freezer in a can. You spray the liquid from the can onto the head of the bolt and its high evaporationn rate will reduce the temp of the bolt to well below freezing, in some cases down to -40 (that is the same temp in both C and F).Once the fastening is cold it will shrink enough for penetrant to really get in and make removal a painless exercise.
Good luck

As an alternative to heating up the castings there are products on the market which are essentially freezer in a can. You spray the liquid from the can onto the head of the bolt and its high evaporationn rate will reduce the temp of the bolt to well below freezing, in some cases down to -40 (that is the same temp in both C and F).Once the fastening is cold it will shrink enough for penetrant to really get in and make removal a painless exercise.
Good luck

Sounds interesting. Never seen that product before. Knowing my luck, I'd point the nozzle in the wrong direction and freeze my eyeball or something!

really cool idea, i wonder at what temp the steel bolts get brittle though.

Latest posts

Back