Middle gear starting torque

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my middle gear starting torque. .29-.36 ft lbs is spec. Problem is ft lb wrench doesn't go down that far so I converted to inch lbs (3.48-4.32) but my inch wrench only registers down to 20 in/lbs. I'm not able to find the correct tool for this measurement. Is there a scale measurement in lbs like when setting up pinion preload on a 14 bolt truck axle using a slide scale attached to the yoke?
I had to replace the yoke seal it was slightly crushed on the bottom causing it to leak. My guess is that the motor dropped onto the crossmember when th po disassembled Johnny5 some time ago.

Pre planning prevents piss poor performance or as pop keeps telling me "that's what you get for steeling my silicone hose"

Starting torque is just a measurement of the effort required to turn the yoke in the bearing. In my opinion, it is not of huge concern to hit the OEM magic number.

The proper torque of the nut that holds the yoke on is 90 Nm or 65 lb-ft. I would set your torque wrench to this. Tighten it up close to that number but not all the way. Stop frequently to check the resistance required to turn the u-joint. It should be spin fairly easily but have no slop or play.

If you are reusing the original crush collar, you may not hit the torque value required without increasing starting torque. If you go carefully and take your time, it should be a very minute difference.

If you find that the yoke feels stiff after tightening it up you will need to buy a new crush collar and start over.

Be sure to use Loctite on the nut.

Attachments

• Output Shaft.pdf
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
That's how I felt about it too. I referenced the nut to the yoke and counted the turns then replaced the seal and put the nut back on in the original position. Torque was at 63.7 digital and felt good so I ran with it (plus red loctite).
Thursday will be the big test in Bradenton brother in law is bringing a bottle fed v-rod this year. best out of 5 loser pays for the other bike. He weighs 270 easy, I'm 192. I got this one! Will be the best win so far. Last year was the Gpz 1100 turbo vs his 120" axtell Harley bomb.
I love free bikes!

Latest posts

Back