Might be parting ways with the Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might be saying farewell to my Vmax. I've really loved the bike for the last 2 years since I've owned it and the power has been very addicting. The problem I'm reaching is that my family likes to go for long distance rides and the Max has some shortcomings in that area. The 3 main issues are fuel range, lack of affordable luggage and seat comfort.

My other issue is that I can't play in the corners as much as I would like to with a stock max. Lately I've been pushing the limit to what the rear tire can manage and I'm coming up short.

My answer to my problems is trading the Max in on an FJR1300. All the power of the max (thought it is a different power), twice the fuel range, built in luggage, a comfortable seat and I can play in the corners. Not to mention 2up on an FJR should be much better then 2up on the Max.

This is rapidly becoming a tough decision to make and I may not go through with it, but I wanted to put it out there and see if you guy's felt this would be a worth while upgrade. The real problem is, that with all the other toy's my wife and I have, there is no more room left for another bike, so I'd have to give up the max for the FJR, otherwise this would be a no brainer. The good thing is, even if I do get the FJR, at least I'm still somewhat in the family.

I've thought about waiting for the new Max, but I can't say for certain it's ever going to come to reality and I think a few of the same issues will carry over even to the new one.

Tell me what you guy's think. Even if I do end up picking up the FJ, I'd still like to hang around here as maybe in a year or so, I'll have the room to pick up another Max.

aaah cmon man keep her!! dont give up on maxine yet!

if u dont have room in the garage u could buy a little shed or something, your breakin my heart man :th_hit:

Hey Calimus,
I think you should really keep your max.
and here are 3 reasons why...

(1)You can get a more comfortable seat.
(2)you can get a bigger fuel tank.
(3)you can get saddle bags for storage on longer trips.

And if you still want the fjr, then find a way to keep the max in the garage next to it.

And if storage is a problem in your garage for an additional bike, then sell one or two of those vw's you have. What do you need six for? And maybe, just maybe throw in a few cats to sweeten the deal!

There- problem solved:cheers:

The VMax is like an enigma. It really doesn't do any one thing great, but it still adds up to be a great ride. For example, before I got the VMax, I had a GSXR1000! Now the Gixxer has more HP, weighs less, is faster and handles way better... but when I still had both, I always rode the VMax more! :ummm: Technically speaking, it was/is the inferior bike but for some reason was more fun to ride and in some ego way, to be seen on. It was easier to find the VMax in a sea of plastic at big bike events and someone was always checking it out or coming over to talk about it. They either had one/wanted one/have one. I miss the Gixxer, and only sold it because I was offered a stupid price for it, but I believe I would miss the VMax more. As you can see from the V4 Garage, my VMax is far from stock, however I missed the cornering abililties of the Gixxer and found the best cornering mod for the VMax is a set of radials. I've done suspension work too, but even without it, the handling is like night and day. This can be a pricey mod, which is the only drawback.
The FJR is a great bike and what you really have to decide on is what the majority of your riding is going to be. If touring is the main goal, then I can see the FJR is better than the VMax. I miss my SS bike when I'm doing really long rides on the highway, as being a sail on the back of the Max gets tiring. However, for me, with the amount of long highways rides I do, I can tough it out on the VMax. I will, no doubt though, end up with with a litre SS bike again as a 3rd bike (I have a dual sport also) as I still like to "stretch" the speed limits once in a while...:whistlin:however, unless I blow up the VMax motor, it will not be my main ride.
Any ways, don't feel bad over this decision. Get what you think is most suited for your purpose at this time. There will always be VMaxs available if you change your mind. No matter what you choose, the main thing is you will be on a motorcycle, so enjoy the ride!!:punk::banana:

I hear ya and i gotta say, in my world the VMAX is not alone in the garage. If you can afford to, buy the second bike of your choice. I find thats the easiest way to live with the max without being hard core....

Bill, I can't get rid of the VW's, they are my wifes toys, well save for one of them. As for the cats, lol, man, I'd love to just be down to 2-3. Want a cat?:biglaugh:

Trust me folks, I'd love nothing more then to be able to keep th max and pickup another bike. But I just won't have the room for it for a good while (untill I can build a new garage on the back of the property)

I live in a hilly area, lost of twisties and in a weekend, I can easily do 5-7 hundered miles of riding. Which with the max equates to 5-7 stops for fuel and a stop or two extra to give my ass a break.

Now, I know there are upgrades I could do to bring the max somewhat up to par, but from some of the pricing I've been looking at, I'd be putting in as much if not more then what I payed for the bike, which is a hard pill for me to swallow.

The other major issue is that I'd like to commute on the bike almost 100% of the time and again, the fuel milage really bites me in the ass here. My commute is 60 miles round trip every day. Which isn't horrible at all, but it means a stop at the gast station very other day.

I think right now a sport tourer is what I need and I can pick up another max in a year or two when I have the room. I have absolutly no desire to go without a max for much more time then that. It's just too much fun of a bike and it would give me a chance to pick up a new max like an 05' Vs my 97' which I think the PO really beat on when they road it. For only have 14k miles when I got it, I've found a few little signs that the bike was prollie abused and ill-maintained. Nothin I can't fix, but when you take the cost of that and the upgrades to put it where I need it right now, I think the FJR is the better option wher the money is concerned.

Who knows though, I might not be able to pull this off (remember, wife gave me the max as an anniversary gift so she might put a big ass hault to the whole thing) or I may have to wait till later this year or early next year. Maybe by then I can get the FJR and keep the max, all kinds of options are on the table at this point.

Buster, I really appreciate your view on this though. I know I was gonna get hit with the "are you stupid" or "just keep the max and buy the FJR" and such. I was hoping for a total understanding as well and you certainly came through there. Thanks.

Untill this does happen, I'm still hoppin on the Max almost every day.:rocket bike:

I feel your pain, but I think you will regret it if you sell her, My goal is to keep my Max and get my second "dream bike" a Duccatti, used to be a 998 (and I'd still take one for the right price), but I'm really digging the new 1098....then I'll have my boulavard pounder (The Max) and a cannon carver (the Duc.)...the best of both worlds....of course I still might need a "long range cruiser"...hmmm I'll get back to you on that....*runs off to sweet talk the wife*....lol

I also think I speak for most members on here, when I say, you will be welcome on the site weather you still have the Max or not....

The FJ is my very next choice for another bike also, after that a Yamaha Royal star V4 touring bike. Kid in college equals no new toys for awhile tho' so I feel your pain.......

Hate to see you get rid of the Max but if you do and stop coming around I'm gonna send vmaxinID to "kick ya in the ding-ding" (his words)

I've put so much into my bike there's no way I could get rid of it due to the financial loss alone since I would never get that money out of it.

Besides that I'm absolutely nuts about the Max still, longest lasting Honeymoon I've ever had with a toy/hobby.......

taking a quote from Buster:

more fun to ride and in some ego way, to be seen on. It was easier to find the VMax in a sea of plastic at big bike events and someone was always checking it out or coming over to talk about it. They either had one/wanted one/have one.
EGO is a key word.... no one says....
"hey look, a Harley or Hey look, a crotch rocket"

People DO say....WOW..... A VMAX!!!!
I've heard it TONS of times and I EAT IT UP....real EGO BOOST!

I'll deinfitly still come around as I'm hoping that this place is exactly what will keep me jonesing for the Max and make it easier for me to replace my current one.

However, in the event that I stop, I'll be damn sure to keep one eye over my shoulder and start wearing a metal cup.:rofl_200:

The kid in college thing is about to happen to me (wife and daughter are in Chicago checking the university out as we speak) so I'm trying to squeeze this in before it's too late. I know damn good and well that even though the tuition has been covered by grants and scholarships, our daughter is still going to find a way to bleed us dry.:bang head:

Hey Calimus,
I think you should really keep your max.
and here are 3 reasons why...

(1)You can get a more comfortable seat.
(2)you can get a bigger fuel tank.
(3)you can get saddle bags for storage on longer trips.

And if you still want the fjr, then find a way to keep the max in the garage next to it.

And if storage is a problem in your garage for an additional bike, then sell one or two of those vw's you have. What do you need six for? And maybe, just maybe throw in a few cats to sweeten the deal!

There- problem solved:cheers:

A link to how I can get a larger fuel tank would be greatly appreciated!

I looked at a guy in Dallas' chain drive conversion and yes the tank gets smaller with the area cut out for the chain. With the lengthed swingarm it allows the concave back of the tank (the part facing the rear tire) to be recontoured to make more room. His was quite a bit more "poofed" out on the rear of the tank to make up for the loss of the swingarm notch.

With a lengthed swingarm and retaining the shaft drive it would be possible to enlarge the rear of the tank.
Rusty

Well I can only say I'm glad I don't have to make the decision you are trying to make. Me personally, I'm keeping my Max till the day I die. And one day I'll add an FJR for long trips, Even if I have to build another garage. I waited to damn long to get my Max.
I wish you luck and Happiness in your choice.
Do what makes YOU Happy Calimus, You only live once!

I should be riding one shortly after memorial day. I've called all the dealers around me, no one has one in stock and they don't do test rides. So I found a FJR forum, started talking to folks there and one of them is very local. His son is graduating HS that weekend (as is my daughter) so one all the festivities are over for both of us, we will meet up and swap bikes for a ride (he's always wanted to play with a Max).

So I should have a report at that time. Still hate that I will have to relinquish the Max to get the FJR, but like I said, I will have another max someday.

Back