Might be the next vmax owner....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm sounds like more are laying on the no side of things =/.

Id like to straighten out that I am not getting a bike to look cool but more so one to last and is cost efficient. I can afford a sport bike on payments and barely get by with liability insurance (which is never a good thing for a beginner). Plus i will have to work all the time and never be able to ride.

My dad ran some quotes and its about $125 per month for insurance. He also took some time to research some other bikes. The r6s is coming in about 500 per month. The Harley Roadster is the cheapest at like 75 or something so we are gonna go check them out.

My riding experience is slim, I have put-putted around on a friends bike to get a feel and road on the back of a few to get a feel of what im gonna kinda be expecting.

I'm not big on stunts or tricks never have been, I do not even get much enjoyment out of racing a car from light to light. I do plan on riding with some people...all decently old and well burned out of the stunt scene. I also do not drink or do any type of drugs yet.

I will take the motorcycle safety course...I want too and have to.

Bottom line i think you guys are mixing me in with the rowdy drunk kids that i see killed in the headline of the paper daily. Im very calm and wont ever do something i know i cant.

I have some more research to do though...and a couple more ???

After looking through jackets and gloves and helmets i am a tad puzeled on what is good and not good. I dont wanna go by price cause i know a mediocre priced jacket can be just as good as the expensive one. Should i look at sportbike jackets??? they have more of a selection atleast...

How is the support for the vmax? Is there very many get togethers and rides any where in california or wyoming? Especially in the summer.

Thanks so far your answers have been helpful and ill make sure to look around at littler bikes.

Hi Hagen

Good to hear some feed back from you. First, I wasn't trying to judge you or pigeon hole you into a typical view of a 17 year old. I know how I was a 17 year old ( and we'll leave it at that! LOL :whistlin:), and I'm not saying all or any teenagers are like that. First off, the insurance rates you quote are really good compared to what some of us pay (or paid at that age), especially North of the border. A 17 year old here in Ontario, on a 1 L SS bike would pay somewhere around $5-7 thousand! if they could get insurance at all.
I'm not saying don't get a VMax, just think about what you want from a bike. If this is what you really want, then, in my opinion, you should get the bike you really want. I know most agree with the "go with a smaller bike" route first but some have great success not following that route ( see the 82nd Cowboy post) . Let us know which bike you go with, with photos! :biglaugh: As for support, well, once again welcome to the forum!:cheers: and there is always lots of rides going on. You can see who rides near you in this thread here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2640

As for leathers and helmets, unless you are racing, I'd say most more than suitable for the road. Your best bet is to hit some bike shows where you can see and try on a big selection.
Best of luck on your first bike buy. :banana: Let us know what you get!

I naturally dis-agree!

Riding a motorcycle is a learned skill for most.

Now, when the newb buys way more motorcycle than he can control because he has to have the baddest motorcycle ever made, or wants to look cool like our guest who started this thread, what are the chances he is going to be able to skilfully ride that motorcycle and learn those skills?

Does it happen that way? of course it does, but the chances are very high that the guy will kill himself, hurt himself, wreck the bike, etc.........

Or maybe even be taken out by the fool that we all have to look out for.

To become a good rider takes time, along time

The other thing about this, is that riding a motorcycle on the public road is a priveledge that is granted by the State, It's not a right you are born with.

Just because you can afford to buy the greatest, fastest, most powerful thing out there, doesn't mean that you should.

A tiered system would hopefully help the new riders learn the skills necessary for riding on the street by restricting the level of the machine. Take that out of the equasion so that the rider can concentrate on the skills.

Younger people(I'm stereotyping here) aren't always the most sensible, levelheaded people out there. They often think with other things than their minds, and are prone to making bad choices.

Let's help keep them alive until they mature enough to make good choices.

pay 200 a year for insurance ...i dont carry full coverage never did if less then 50%
my fault im covered..saved a lot over the last 25years

FWIW after working in the insurance world, I laugh at why rates are so high on motorcycles, as there isn't a whole lot of PD that's involved in a lot of motorcycle wrecks, or even a lot of BI, usually just death. You could always write policies IMO with no BI for bikes too.

Just food for thought.

Also FWIW ZRX - You could make all those same arguments about any motorized vehicle, not just motorcycles.

It also doesn't matter if he's on a Schwin or a 'Busa if another person hits him, it's still gonna suck. Not his or the bike's fault.

;)

I understand what and why your saying what your saying, but respectfully disagree.

Id like to straighten out that I am not getting a bike to look cool but more so one to last and is cost efficient. I can afford a sport bike on payments and barely get by with liability insurance (which is never a good thing for a beginner). Plus i will have to work all the time and never be able to ride.

My dad ran some quotes and its about $125 per month for insurance. He also took some time to research some other bikes. The r6s is coming in about 500 per month. The Harley Roadster is the cheapest at like 75 or something so we are gonna go check them out.

My riding experience is slim, I have put-putted around on a friends bike to get a feel and road on the back of a few to get a feel of what im gonna kinda be expecting.

I'm not big on stunts or tricks never have been, I do not even get much enjoyment out of racing a car from light to light. I do plan on riding with some people...all decently old and well burned out of the stunt scene. I also do not drink or do any type of drugs yet.

Bottom line i think you guys are mixing me in with the rowdy drunk kids that i see killed in the headline of the paper daily. Im very calm and wont ever do something i know i cant.

After looking through jackets and gloves and helmets i am a tad puzeled on what is good and not good. I dont wanna go by price cause i know a mediocre priced jacket can be just as good as the expensive one. Should i look at sportbike jackets??? they have more of a selection atleast...

How is the support for the vmax? Is there very many get togethers and rides any where in california or wyoming? Especially in the summer.

Thanks so far your answers have been helpful and ill make sure to look around at littler bikes.

Have him check out the SV650N or S. Much cheaper insurance and a dream of a bike to ride and still has 75HP at the wheel...:thumbs up:

NO MATTER WHAT, LIKE MY HIGH SCHOOL METAL SHOP TEACHER SAID & IT ALWAYS STUCK WITH ME , " ALL MACHINES ARE DUMB MACHINES, YOU SUPPLY THE BRAINS " ! IVE BEEN IN SOME PRETTY GOOD BIKE WRECKS IN MY DAY, ALL SELF INFLICTED , DRINKING & WHEELIES DONT MIX !!! BUT IVE BEEN HURT WORSE SKATEBOARDING, BACK IN THE DAY !!! MY POINT IS YOU CAN GET HURT ON ANYTHING !! JUST USE YOUR BRAIN MORE THAN I DID & YOU'LL BE FINE !!!

NO MATTER WHAT, LIKE MY HIGH SCHOOL METAL SHOP TEACHER SAID & IT ALWAYS STUCK WITH ME , " ALL MACHINES ARE DUMB MACHINES, YOU SUPPLY THE BRAINS " ! IVE BEEN IN SOME PRETTY GOOD BIKE WRECKS IN MY DAY, ALL SELF INFLICTED , DRINKING & WHEELIES DONT MIX !!! BUT IVE BEEN HURT WORSE SKATEBOARDING, BACK IN THE DAY !!! MY POINT IS YOU CAN GET HURT ON ANYTHING !! JUST USE YOUR BRAIN MORE THAN I DID & YOU'LL BE FINE !!!

That makes a lot of sense...

btw guys thanks tons for all your advice, opinions and help!!!! So many replies and such a short time, i might just get the bike because of the helpful community :thumbs up:

That makes a lot of sense...

btw guys thanks tons for all your advice, opinions and help!!!! So many replies and such a short time, i might just get the bike because of the helpful community :thumbs up:

Well, if you get it. congratulations. You've just got a great bike. Just don't write checks your body can't cash.

Helpfull is what it's all about. You'll be supported, don't be afraid to ask questions. There is alot of riding expirence here, myself over 36 years, others more.

Let your dad ride it a few times... It might just get you out of some house work :punk:

Have him check out the SV650N or S. Much cheaper insurance and a dream of a bike to ride and still has 75HP at the wheel...:thumbs up:

I think the SV650 has VERY similar performance spec as the VMAX too, but with better tank range and economy (my mate has just passed his test and has an SV650S)......

Specifications

Top speed 123mph 1/4-mile acceleration 13.5 secs Power 69bhp Torque 45ftlb Weight 169kg Seat height 800mm Fuel capacity 17 litres Average fuel consumption 40mpg Tank range 135 miles Insurance group 9
Engine size 645cc Engine specification 8v V-twin, 6 gears Frame Aluminium trellis Front suspension adjustment Preload Rear suspension adjustment Preload Front brakes Twin 290mm discs Rear brake 220mm disc Front tyre size 120/60 x 17 Rear tyre size 160/60 x 17

Hope this is helpful :punk:Good luck with whatever you choose:banana:

Hagan,I say get the bike especially if its a 05 for 5500 cant beat that deal!

Just remember what has been said here,there is years and years of riding experience and knowledge here We all have a great love and respect for the Vmax once you get this bike you need to have the same respect for it

hone your skills and ride very defensively.

Hagen,

I won’t be offering any more words of why you should or should not choose a V Max as a ‘first’ bike… many others have already extended some real good advise along those lines.

But as a very experienced and senior (FOG) rider, I would only add that whatever you choose to buy, you MUST be, or learn to be a very defensive driver. Riding on any street is one of the most hazardous things you can ever do. But also very rewarding when things are going good!

That said, I would also like to extend the very best to ALL here who have offered this young man some very good advise… And even if you don’t get that Max, Hagen, note that you won’t find a better group of helpful and giving riders ANYWHERE, then you’ll find right here…

So hang out, ask questions, and learn!

If you do buy it, then enjoy! Mine is one of the most exciting to ride and and most loved bikes I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned many in past years! Respect it, ride it ‘right’, and you’ll be fine.

Good Luck! And Ride Safe!
Uncle Philthy

I second most of the opinions offered here. When I started riding my grandfather (a long-time rider himself) told me there are two types of riders, "those who have crashed and those who will." I am unfortunately a member of the "crashed" group, as I am sure a number of the members here are. It happened early in my riding career, and it taught me a great deal, mostly that wrecking hurts, a lot!:bang head: I am not saying you will crash, but the odds are not in your favor.
I have ridden everything from a '53 Harley rigid to Liter SS's, and the Max is by far my favorite grin inducer, but is definitely not for everyone. There has been plenty of feedback offered as to what the riding experience of the VMax is, and it is all spot on. The VMax is basically the two wheeled version of a '60's muscle car, it will turn and stop, kinda, but it is all about the straights, the sound, and "sensation" of speed. Also like a muscle car it gets subpar fuel economy and the ride can beat you up a bit after a while, but I love it.
As much as I love my Max, I would stronly consider some of the other options offered as first time rides here. These are all great bikes that I still love throwing my leg over if the oppurtunity is there. I still own an '84 Kawasaki 700 LTD just for the fact that it is an "easy" bike to ride. Adequate power, fairly light and not very frenetic.
Also don't stretch yourself too thin to purchase a bike. It will quickly lose its fun factor if you are constantly worried about making the payments. I picked up that LTD for $500 and a set of used truck tires back when spending a lot of money on a bike just wasn't an option for me. It required a bit of work, but I never had to worry about paying for it after I had it, and it was still a fun ride.
Ultimately the decision will be yours as to what is right for you and I think you are doing the right thing by researching and not making a rash move. Good luck!:thumbs up:

I think the SV650 has VERY similar performance spec as the VMAX too, but with better tank range and economy (my mate has just passed his test and has an SV650S)......

Specifications

Top speed 123mph 1/4-mile acceleration 13.5 secs Power 69bhp Torque 45ftlb Weight 169kg Seat height 800mm Fuel capacity 17 litres Average fuel consumption 40mpg Tank range 135 miles Insurance group 9
Engine size 645cc Engine specification 8v V-twin, 6 gears Frame Aluminium trellis Front suspension adjustment Preload Rear suspension adjustment Preload Front brakes Twin 290mm discs Rear brake 220mm disc Front tyre size 120/60 x 17 Rear tyre size 160/60 x 17

Hope this is helpful :punk:Good luck with whatever you choose:banana:

Are these supposed to be similar performance specs to the V-Max? The V-Max can exceed the listed top speed above on the quarter and then power all the way to 150. Also, the quarter times are over two seconds slower than a decent V-Max. Hell, my RZ350 will put a hurtin' on the bike with the above specs. Is that reallly what an SV650 runs? That is pretty sad in today's bike world if it is. Hell, my STi will decimate that thing.

But back on topic. Go for the Max. Just treat with an enormous amount of respect. Like everyone else has said, YOU control the bike. Ride it in a civil fashion and it is very docile and easy to ride. Wind it up every time you get a chance and you could get into trouble.

Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it.

Mike

Are these supposed to be similar performance specs to the V-Max? The V-Max can exceed the listed top speed above on the quarter and then power all the way to 150. Also, the quarter times are over two seconds slower than a decent V-Max. Hell, my RZ350 will put a hurtin' on the bike with the above specs. Is that reallly what an SV650 runs? That is pretty sad in today's bike world if it is. Hell, my STi will decimate that thing.

But back on topic. Go for the Max. Just treat with an enormous amount of respect. Like everyone else has said, YOU control the bike. Ride it in a civil fashion and it is very docile and easy to ride. Wind it up every time you get a chance and you could get into trouble.

Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it.

Mike

ALL WRONG!!

12.5 in the quarter 72 HP at the wheel, FI, 3.8secs to 60mph 130 top speed, 429 pounds wet 6 speed, and all this is from a magazine article which I tried to resize and put on here but it was unreadable as it was WAY to small...:damn angry:

My brother has one and I have the SV1000S and the reason I tell NooB's to buy them is because the Vtwin power is very linear! You should see my torque curve. It's straight across...:thumbs up: My 1000 gets about 38-40mpg and that's with a PCIIIusb and tune with intake and exhaust and my bro gets about 50mpg with his 650. The 650 and 1000 are wheelie machines!

ALL WRONG!!

12.5 in the quarter 72 HP at the wheel, FI, 3.8secs to 60mph 130 top speed, 429 pounds wet 6 speed, and all this is from a magazine article which I tried to resize and put on here but it was unreadable as it was WAY to small...:damn angry:

My brother has one and I have the SV1000S and the reason I tell NooB's to buy them is because the Vtwin power is very linear! You should see my torque curve. It's straight across...:thumbs up: My 1000 gets about 38-40mpg and that's with a PCIIIusb and tune with intake and exhaust and my bro gets about 50mpg with his 650. The 650 and 1000 are wheelie machines!

Well, those are better specs for sure. Sounds like a fun bike. Should be similar in performance to my RZ, but much more linear. FWIW, my RZ is not stock...but it is fun as hell. Would probably scare the crap out of a noob though...it is a much more violent bike than my Max.

Mike

My son is 17 years old & there's no way in hell I'll let him pilot a Vmax - sorry , but I'm just being honest here. Start small , get experience & work your way up. I started in dirt , then a CB360T ( wipe outs on both ) ,then a 700 Shadow & now finally a Vmax. I'm sure you're very responsible ( so is my son ) , but there's just no substitute for experience. I want you to be here for the long haul , not just the quick thrill.

Hmmm, do any of you guys have any knowledge on the triumph street triple or speed triple?

They have a very nice look to the and are quite comfy...and the insurance does not crush me.

Don't mean to trash anyone, but any salesmen that recommends a VMax as your first bike can't have your best interest in mind... There are much better choices for a first bike, most of which have already been posted here... No substitute for experience...

Just my 2 cents...

Hmmm, do any of you guys have any knowledge on the triumph street triple or speed triple?

They have a very nice look to the and are quite comfy...and the insurance does not crush me.

The only Triumph I was looking at seriously was the Daytona 955i. I never checked out the Triples.

Well here is my 2 cents.
A VMAX isnt for a 17 yr old with a couple of miles of mini bike riding expierence. "I dont drink or do drugs YET" anyone else catch that. 17 yrs old looking at sport bikes wanting great sound of exhaust, yeah you are that quiet little kid with the glasses on sitting in the front of the classroom with your pet toad! You cant BS me.
If I were you, since you dont have any street expierence on 2 wheels, I would get a moped maybe a puch 50CC making 1.5 HP. No offense but to many kids getting killed today due iresponsible parents allowing there kid to purchase 165HP+ motrocycles capable of doing the 1/4 mile in 9 seconds.
Take it for what its worth.
Buy you a Katana 600. Light bike handles well, enough power.

Latest posts

Back