mile high tuning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbes58

Reaction score
Hi guys: I've been riding since '79, but just got my first V-Max. I've done as much research as I can stand, and still can't figure out what's best for me. I'm in the Denver area, 5000-5200 feet usually. I have an '06 with Supertrapps & 8 discs, and after just a week of ownership, it's apparent that I'm running richer'n hell. I don't mind rejetting it myself, I just don't have access to a dyno or EGA, and don't want to do it 5 times to elvaluate it on the butt dyno. Supertrapp says I need 12 discs at this altitude, but I think it's already loud enough. Any ideas on jetting and/or intake modifications for my particular situation would be appreciated. Or, does anyone knows someone in my general area they'd trust to do the work? When I went to my closest Yamaha shop and asked about the "high altitude service" they advertised, the service manager said "aren't they injected?", and in a different conversation, asked me how many carbs my '83 Venture had. You can bet I wouldn't trust them to lube a chain for me. Thanks.

A friend in CO is running this setup at 5000+ altitude.

4 main jets in the size of '145'
4 pilot fuel jets in the size of '42.5'
4 pilot air jets number 1 (PAJ1) in the size of '95' pilot air jets number 2 (PAJ2) in the size of '160'

He's pretty rich at idle mixture to gain better control and then leans the mixture as the rpms go up.

I'm at around 5300ft right now myself. Right now my 85 is stock and seems to run fine, but I'll let you know what I find when I get my exhaust back on. Have yet to really test plug color because I've been fixing so many other things.

Back