Mileage Log.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pighuntingpuppy

Reaction score
When my 1982 Yamaha Virago was my primary rider 20 years ago, I bought it with 7000 miles on it. An engine upgrade from 750cc to 920cc when it had about 11K on it, it rolled all the way to 100K before I retired it. I documented the mileage by photos.

With that, I decided to do the same thing with the Gen 2. I cant seem to find my start mileage for the bike. But the bike was purchased from the dealer with 5,855 miles on it. The bike was purchased in September 2020. Last night, I rolled 22,222 miles. I have a few pics with mileage.

Starting with the lowest mileage pic I have, 6,592.

Screenshot_20220626-111907.png

Up next, 10,000

0529212053.jpg

I cannot seem to find my 11,111 pic. But I do have my 12,345 one.

0712212207a.jpg

I also cannot seem to find my 15,000 mile pic, but I do have my 20,000 mile pic.

0525221742_HDR.jpg

And my current mileage as of last night, 22,222

0708220106.jpg

As my mileage increases, I will update with new mileage pics. Whatever problems arise will be documented with that mileage as well. Aside from tires and maintenance, the bike is performing beautifully.

Can't wait to see 99999. ;)

How do you manage to capture it at the exact milage - take a photo whilst riding?

If it is while I am in motion, I will watch to when it is ready to change then pull over to capture the picture. Then on my merry way. I dont dink with my phone while riding as the people in my state are just looking for an excuse to kill you when you arent paying attention. If I maintain pace and mileage, We should see 99,999 miles in maybe 5 years.

If it is while I am in motion, I will watch to when it is ready to change then pull over to capture the picture. Then on my merry way. I dont dink with my phone while riding as the people in my state are just looking for an excuse to kill you when you arent paying attention. If I maintain pace and mileage, We should see 99,999 miles in maybe 5 years.
What main problems were with Virago during your ownership? Can you ride it after 100 000 miles?

What main problems were with Virago during your ownership? Can you ride it after 100 000 miles?
My goal was to restore the bike once it hit 100K. I rode the bike to 100,100(ish). At that point, a timing chain guide on the front cylinder broke and rolled the timing. Popped the intake valve. Years ago, I replaced the head and timing components. Tried to ride it, but was clearly having carb issues. Due mainly to the CV slide rubber. It will ultimately need a new modern carb with easily replaceable parts.

Other issues I had were small electrical annoyances. The run switch fritzed out on me. Kickstand side switch got broke cause it seized. So had to bypass and remove it. I had the cluster rebuilt cause the internals howled at speed. I replaced the year 16 inch rim with an 18 inch rear Seca rim. The front steering was upgraded to the Seca anti-dive assembly.

This bike was so utterly and completely reliable during that 100K. I was so confident of the bike, I never hesitated if I went cross country with it. And in fact, that bike gave me my Ironbutt award (1500 in 36 hours).

It's why I won't get rid of it. I'll rebuild it and restore it to the state I had it that gave me such a reliable machine. But it's not on my to do list at this time. I'll get to it. Just tackling projects one at a time.

First set of brakes 36,500. I bought a complete set, fronts and rear. The left front outboard side of brake pads nearly nuked into the rotor. So with this info, I dont think these brakes will ever wear evenly. I say this cause the side that wore the fastest is the side that the master cylinder comes into first. All other front brake pads wore about 2/3 down. Rear brake pads were about 1/2 worn. New brakes appear to be OE quality as of right now. Stops well, no noise or chattering.

Attachments

• 0826231805a.jpg
    11.4 MB · Views: 0
This day at 4pm, we rounded 40,000 miles. At this time, both tires were replaced with Dunlops. Front is Dunlop streetsmart 3, rear is Dunlop Elite 3

Attachments

• 40000.jpg
    13.2 MB · Views: 0
Back