Mileage question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icepick

Reaction score
I have stock carbs, slip-on mufflers, the needle clip is on the 4 slot from the blunt end, my AF screw is 4 turns out, filled the tank using 87 octane no ethanol, reset the odometer, rode the bike, Fuel light came on a 50 miles!
What do I have set up wrong?
Thanks

Re: Milage question

What kind of mufflers? What air filter? Stock airbox also?

Needle clip on 4 and A/F 4 turns out sounds extremely rich.

Also, if you have clips on your needles your carbs are not stock. They may have a Stage 1 or Stage 7 Dynojet kit in them, and Stage 1 is renown for being an over rich waste of space that does nothing for the Max.. I would check what main jet you have - stock is 152.5, and with slip-ons most people stay there or maybe go one size down.

Also, when you fill the tank with the fuel light on, how much do you put in? You should be able to get 3.2 Gal in there, but the last .5 Gal or so is real slow (you have to squirt a little at a time) cos of the shape of the tank and filler tube.

Mains: 190's in carb 1 & 3
185's in 2 & 4
not sure what kind of mufflers, (no emblems or markings)
K & N pod air filters

Ok so it sounds like you have a Dynojet Stage 7 kit in there. Not a good idea for slip-ons - a jet kit is only needed when fitted with a full exhaust system.

Without it, the headers are too restrictive so increasing the intake does nothing for power - just makes everything waaaay too rich. This could be your problem.

Do you still have the OEM airbox and OEM carb jets etc? I bet if you went back to stock it'd run better and get you 90-110 miles to the red light depending on how you ride it.

no i don't have the stock jets or air box, i'll see if my local stealer would have them,

Yea, I've dealt with him before, good guy.

Is it possible you have a full exhaust system rather than just slip-ons?

Can you take and post some pictures?

The cans definatly look like Dale Walker's holeshot cans. Hard to tell otherwise though, maybe someone that has a full system can tell better.

I also have a [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]DYNA 3000 DIGITAL PERFORMANCE IGNITION installed
[/FONT]

Well if you have a full Walker system then it makes sense to have the jet kit too, and the Dyna 3000 should also help.

But 50 miles to a tank, how are you riding it? Red line on every shift? Most of the time spent above 6500 rpm?

Also, how does it run?

I know this is off subject, I have stage 7. Is it better to set the idle with v-boost closed or open? Because I set it at 1000 closed after opening it, its at 900.

Ok, I put the 152 main jets in, AF screw: 2 & 1/2 turns out, and it looks like I have the Stage 7 needles, with the clip at the 1st groove from the blunt end.
K & N pod filters, (just until I get a stock air box)
Idles good, then throttling up just a bit past 1/4 throttle, runs like crap, until about 1/2 throttle, then evens out and runs good, any suggestions?
Thanks

you have a leaner main, very lean needle setting and normal a/f settings. if you are sure on your a/f settings, i would move the needle one more clip towards the pointy end.

think atleast 2 with those jets dont you think garrett will be better? whats the plugs look like?

That does not appear to be stock headers. Look at the connections, stock header pipes have a clamp that fits over what I'll call a flange on both the header and a 2" piece attached to the head. The connectors in the picture are absent of this 2 inch piece I'm refering to(don't know the name of it without looking it up).Connections look very similar to a holeshot exhaust I recently replaced and the cans look similar as well. I'd say those are Dale Walkers Holeshot exhaust. If so I have 155 mains in mine, stage 1 needles with second from the leanest clip position, and 2 3/4 out on mixture screws and a K&N filter. Hope this helps

plugs look a little on the lean side, not to white, I moved the clip down one groove, will try & run it after work
The pipes are Walker holeshots.

Latest posts

Back