Mini III wind screen install problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEmedic

Reaction score
Has any one had issues with the mount kit for the Mini III?

The standoffs will not fit on the up-right bar on one side. My guess is that the up-right bar is out of round or a little larger than the hole in the standoff...

I got this months ago off the internet, it was new but I bet returning is out of the question now...

TIA

had one one my old max and it was easy on/off. try loosening the bolts on the shield itself, installing the brackets (while still on the shield tho) , then tightening it all up!

The little black standoffs will not slide onto the brackets (up-right bars) at all, the bar is too big on one side.

The little black standoffs will not slide onto the brackets (up-right bars) at all, the bar is too big on one side.

could you have gotten the wrong part? can u post a pic?

I can post a pic this afternoon. I am sure they are the right part, the right side fits perfect but the left seems just barely too large for the standoffs to slide over. I am wondering if I can increase the bore size of the standoffs on one side? I guess I just need to find a drill press near-by...

I can post a pic this afternoon. I am sure they are the right part, the right side fits perfect but the left seems just barely too large for the standoffs to slide over. I am wondering if I can increase the bore size of the standoffs on one side? I guess I just need to find a drill press near-by...

yea send some pics up b/c u shouldn't have to modify anything to get it to fit.

I didn't have any problems with any of mine, I've installed 3 of them, but know what you're talking about. Prolly explains why it was on e bay, huh!

First thing that comes to my mind would be a chainsaw file, or perhaps a rotary file in a hand held drill or drill press. Not sure I would try redrilling with a larger bit, it would prolly grab and gouge the stand-off all up.

I didn't get them from ebay, I found them at a Yamaha dealer online last year. They were and are new in the box, I think when they heat treated or chromed the bars, the thickened a bit at the end of just one of the bars.

The idea of using a file in a drill is a good one. I am going to go find one right now. Well see if it works.

very nice.. hmmm i may have to pick one up now that i know they fit over the flyscreen....

I'm not sure it will last like that, I am trying it though, might be stressing the mini III a little much...

One of my friends installed the mini III over the flyscreen. The bottom edge rubbed against the aluminum flyscreen bracket, making a fairly large scrape. Had to be buffed out which got rid of the clearcoat. Just be careful and you should be ok. Might try using a strip of foam/rubber in between the screens. He just used the larger screen on trips and the small one around town.

If you look closely at the installed picture you can see that I added a strip of clear door edge protector where the Mini III rides on the Flyscreen.

Good thinking. Didn't notice that. Just keep an eye on it as the constant movement will wear through the edging in time. The clear coat will probably wear through much quicker.

Back