VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shays

Reaction score
Hello, I ended up trying to make a wiring harness with the bare minimum amount of connections by eliminating all the safety cut off connections (and the like), lights (except for the headlight & taillight) handlebar switches (only have a starter button) and am using an aftermarket fuel pump so I bypassed all the factory electrical components and connections related to the
fuel. Well, its getting air, I have spark on all four cylinders (making sure the connections from the ignitor to the coils are correct). I cleaned the carbs and checked that the bowls are being filled so I have fuel but she still won't start. Is there anything I may have eliminated that is required to be connected to the Ignitor in order for the bike to actually fire up. I know my explanation is really just a quick summary so feel free to ask any specific questions and ill answer in as much detail as possible. Thank you for any insight anyone may be able to offer.

You have a spark, fuel and (I assume) compression so it should start.

Assuming your fuel pump isn't causing flooding by delivering fuel at too high a pressure then that leaves to ignition.

As all cylinders have sparks then it would appear that they aren't occurring at the correct time and that is what you should investigate.

You have a spark, fuel and (I assume) compression so it should start.

Assuming your fuel pump isn't causing flooding by delivering fuel at too high a pressure then that leaves to ignition.

As all cylinders have sparks then it would appear that they aren't occurring at the correct time and that is what you should investigate.

Thank you for responding...I was thinking that as well but I dismissed the notion when I checked to see if the correct wires from the TCI are going to the correct coils (which they are). Is there something else that affects the timing/firing order that I may be missing? I know there's nothing wrong with it mechanically because its been running fine for the past year. I'm going to pull the plugs today and see what they tell me.
So if i'm getting spark then there isn't anything electrical that i may have removed required to be in the harness in order for the bike to start up I'm guessing its safe to assume that if there is a component/connection that's missing then the TCI wouldn't even allow the flow of electricity to the coils.?
Thx

The other trap that can get you is to have the front two HT leads a.a.f. (arse about face) the LH coil goes to the RH plug and RH coil goes to the LH plug.

To double check Orange wire from ICU goes to LHR coil, Yellow to RHR, White to LHF and Grey to RHF
I assume that you have connected the vacuum advance unit?

Back