Minor mods for first Gen (2006) V-MAX?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panther 2.0

Reaction score
mine is bone stock, but looking to make the following mods, any recommendations appreciated:

1) convert headlights to bright HID or LED
2) an exhaust that looks stock but sounds more like the V-MAX looks (more aggressive but not obnoxious)
3) louder horn
ideally, i'd like to keep as much of the stock appearance as possible.
i'm on somewhat of a budget, but for any recommendations please post specific part info or links to purchase. thanks in advance!

I think LED is the current illumination favorite. Which-one, that depends upon if you want the stock headlamp case, or you're willing to replace it.

Marving has an OEM-appearing exhaust which if you go searching for reviews, you may be able to find sound clips to see if it suits your sound parameters.

The Stebel or WOLO copy is a pretty-loud horn, run it with a relay for best effect. It's also compact.

Contact Sean Morley [email protected] for electrical pieces, and he will have some suggestions on all of these.

Have you read this thread yet? (52) New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Do the 'crimp-fix' to get more power out of the electrical system, and consider going to a MOSFET regulator/rectifier to provide more-even power to charge the battery, and to run your newly-installed accessories.

(52) electrical connectors | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(52) Crimp fix done | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net) This one is literally-free, and it should be one of the first things you do.

These guys have a lot of bike electrical goodies, like a fusebox for adding any accessories, and relays to make your headlight brighter.
Main (easternbeaver.com)

I suggest you change your brake fluid in both brakes and the hydraulic clutch. Frequent readers know I'm a fan of the reverse-bleed, which effectively purges air from your hydraulics, easily and effectively. I used-to use a Mity-Vac, but I use a 60cc (1cc=1ml) syringe I provide instructions to-fabricate for the purpose, from a visit to your local grocery store and your auto parts store, and perhaps the hardware store, for a total investment of $10. (52) Clutch slave cylinder replacement | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Last edited:
You may want to consider either clear or smoked indicator lenses with corresponding orange coloured bulbs.

If you want to swap to LED indicator bulbs, you can do that but search here as there are a number of gotchas.

Our Muscle Exhaust has the large (stainless) mufflers and looks/sound great plus good performance and all stainless pipes too.

Attachments

• IMG_0223.JPG
    IMG_0223.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 37
What wheels are those? Look much better than the solid slabs yamaha fitted.

You could start by drilling the exhaust which keeps the stock look and is a no cost mod.
Next I would concentrate on the suspension - Racetech springs and Gold emulators with better rear shocks.
Moving on I'd then upgrade the brakes; non radial R1 style are a stait swap with 14mm bore m/c. Note you would also need to changer the lines from the splitter to calipers so some braided jobbies are in order.

Your bile will now sound good, go round corner and stop.

Let me know if you want me to spend any more of your money! ;)

There are NO minor mods.
After the first mod.the monkey will be unleashed.
And he will never go back in his cage.

Latest posts

Back