Misery in Phoenix

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Phoenix sucks in the summertime. :angry flame:

Riding is supposed to be relaxing (unless you're on the throttle) and enjoyable. In this town, between July and October it ain't fun.

Who the hell could enjoy sitting in traffic when the ambient air temperature is 110 and at an intersection probably closer to 130 with cages all around spewing exhaust, radiating additional heat, windows up with air blasting.

Even when you get underway, the air does not "cool you off". Not much. Sort of like riding through a very large oven. I used to live in Massachusetts and actually looked forward to summer.

My fan override switch was a great mod for a while, but once the temps go over 100, it still runs hot in traffic. :bang head:

With apologies to all you more northern riders, I AM TRULY LOOKING FORWARD TO WINTER! :snow:

Phoenix sucks in the summertime. :angry flame:

Riding is supposed to be relaxing (unless you're on the throttle) and enjoyable. In this town, between July and October it ain't fun.

Who the hell could enjoy sitting in traffic when the ambient air temperature is 110 and at an intersection probably closer to 130 with cages all around spewing exhaust, radiating additional heat, windows up with air blasting.

Even when you get underway, the air does not "cool you off". Not much. Sort of like riding through a very large oven. I used to live in Massachusetts and actually looked forward to summer.

My fan override switch was a great mod for a while, but once the temps go over 100, it still runs hot in traffic. :bang head:

With apologies to all you more northern riders, I AM TRULY LOOKING FORWARD TO WINTER! :snow:

I can take the cold over the heat any day.........that's why I live where I do....

Although 30 below zero F will make you wish for a balmy 70 degree day...

it is not nearly as bad were I live but it gets into triple digits much of the summer in Redding. It does suck but were I live 1/2 hour in 3 different directions and your in the pine trees and cooling off. I had to get used to the fact that in the summer the wind feele like a hair dryer.

:punk: Hey, it's just starting to get nice, and hot. Ride early in the morning or all night. Funny how some guys say their radiator does not work when it gets hot, they don't know hot. Ha Ha, Spurs

But isn't it a "dry" heat??:ummm:
that's what I always am told:confused2: while I'm dripping sweat before I even get out of the driveway in humiditown, east TX.

early morn or evening is the riding time around here during the summer:punk:

and you sure know when that fan kicks on.... nice blast of heat from the front woohoo

I feel your pain - it's 95 degrees in the shade here with 95 % humidity. It's so humid here it was raining today even though it's sunny. Still gotta ride though - I just double-up on the right guard & go for it. :biglaugh:

I'm just a little farther south than richwrench in St. Petersburg. It hit 96 today and we're just getting started. I was tearing the fenders off and sanding them and the air box cover to level out the scratches. I wouldn't even be outside but they're getting custom graphics applied next week.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: It's gonna be Cool..

I'm staying in tonight cause it don't look like we'll get any rain to lower the temperatures. I've gotta build a prototype AR-22 for several combined manufacturers. Besides, I'd have to ride the Harley. I hate summer to the Max, even the nights suck unless your doing a hundred.
I vote for Global Cooling......:snow:

Son of a gun,..I'd love some of that heat over hear. The past 6 summers have been unusually cool. If we hit 72 on a regular basis wer'e happy. We have a short riding time here. A couple die hards will be out in late April, but theres still snow on the ground and icey patches on the road. Youll get a few more days in may, but you gotta pick the warmest part of the day "couple hours" June is better, but the nights can be very chilly yet. July, august, and sept are good. You gotta pick your days in Oct. Generaly snows around the end of the month. Having NO down time is crutial around here. Its been very rainy this year,..it rained all JUNE. Today is sunny and hot 73 above.

My GF just left for Phoenix Thursday.
She had to call and brag that it's a nice cool 102 there and might stay until Arkansas cools down a bit.

ripinanroarin: My Son and Family have you beat. They're in Fairbanks Alaska and Love It....... I know a man whose 85 YO named Don, He rides all over Alaska on a BMW... Ice Road Biker.....:biglaugh:

My son and family live in Tuscon ( just a bit cooler). I don't visit in the hight of summer but winters are great. A/C house to A/C car to A/C store to A/C food est. to A/C car to A/C home. Too hot for this old man.

I lived in Yuma, and I have to agree between June and October it was pretty frickin hot. But after that it is GREAT riding weather.

Basically it is like riding in a oven. You almost have to wear long sleeves or a mesh through jacket to keep the hot wind from burning your arms. I tend to do my bike projects in the summer so I can ride in the winter. Totally opposite of the rest of the country. Last week at Sky Harbor Airport is was
115 with 2 percent humidity. Ya Ya "it's a dry heat" but its still damn hot!!

It’s that time of year again in Phoenix. I was going to start a thread, and realized that I started this one over a decade ago! All the above applies here now. We have our first heat wave of the summer starting this weekend. I don’t want to hear anything from anybody in the country or elsewhere (with the possible exception of central Australia) about it’s a dry heat, blah, blah, blah. It truly is deadly, just like northern Minnesota January. Only different.

0CA7C87C-A3DA-4B65-9352-E12ED7B05059.png

Ish ! I prefer the cold - you can put enough clothes on to stay warm, but you can't take enough off to stay cool. Your post begs the question, were you up there in Jan ? Working ? International Falls ? Boundary Waters ? Fishing, XC skiing, camping, snowmobiling ? Any experience there in Jan is a real challenge. In the 70's your car wouldn't start. -40 F + any MPH will test your helmet and gloves.

I'm just a little farther south than richwrench in St. Petersburg. It hit 96 today and we're just getting started. I was tearing the fenders off and sanding them and the air box cover to level out the scratches. I wouldn't even be outside but they're getting custom graphics applied next week.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: It's gonna be Cool..

I'm staying in tonight cause it don't look like we'll get any rain to lower the temperatures. I've gotta build a prototype AR-22 for several combined manufacturers. Besides, I'd have to ride the Harley. I hate summer to the Max, even the nights suck unless your doing a hundred.
I vote for Global Cooling......:snow:
Would you have a BOM for a reliable "AR 22 WMR rifle" ? I don't keep track, has that been figured out ?

I don't care if it's in the Florida 90's, I won't ride w/o a mesh armored jacket. I even have a pair of pants the same way, but I don't use them all that-much. I never ride w/o a full-face helmet and gloves.

You guys in the Southwest, don't worry it's a dry heat!

I remember a December enduro I rode outside Muskegon MI, almost 50 years-ago, on my brand-new (that year) Yamaha 360 dirtbike. It started at (and finished at) Mt. Garfield, which is one of the oldest events in AMA history, as a hillclimb. I was doing OK until we got to an electrical powerline right-of-way, which was flooded with frigid water under a thin layer of ice. Once I busted through the ice, the bike was literally 'dead in the water,' and it was cold water! Once I extricated my bike, and made it back to a road, it was backtracking to the start. My friend I was with, made it through on his Yamaha 360MX with a lighting kit (bikes needed to be 'street-legal') and placed in the class. That day, was cold. Within a month, I made-up my mind to 'go-south,' and made the move to sunny south Florida.

Mt. Garfield MI hillclimb.jpg

Try doing a 2 hour atv harescrambles race. In 110 plus heat.southern missiouri.
When your hot and have chills at the same time.
Rule 1 . keep moving
Rule 2. Don't get stuck or crash.
Ah good times.

Back