Misfire, 1985 VMax 20,800 miles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late model regulators are better, or be sure to add a grounding wire to the early regulator. Stators are available. Sean Morley is the person to contact. I like the Mosfet regulator and Venture Stator combo. 14 volts at idle. A good battery is worth investing in. Even if it cost you $170. Investigate the crimp fix
It did sit before i purchased it. The fuel filter has been replaced. There appeared to crud in the old one.

The shop said the charging system was tested and it is no longer charging

Did they test the stator separately? The three wire plug, to the regulator, is notoriously an issue. It's common to cut the plug out and soldered the wires going to the regulator, and that alone solves many issues.

This thing is still being worked on :(

Do you folks know if all the little tips and tricks are located in one post? Like the named stuff, crimp fix, oring fix, shotgun, etc. If it is I want to share it with my mechanic.

Thank you.

This thing is still being worked on :(

Do you folks know if all the little tips and tricks are located in one post? Like the named stuff, crimp fix, oring fix, shotgun, etc. If it is I want to share it with my mechanic.

Thank you.

If he's had it since October, he shouldn't be your mechanic. Repossess the machine and fix it yourself. I'll wager that this group could walk you through the issues if you're willing to get your hands dirty - and if you have a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude.

It is at a different shop. The bike only made it home from the first shop and then stared to misfire again.

The current shop has had it for a few weeks, at my request they are putting in a new gas tank, throttle cables, rebuilding the carbs. But, I think the bike has lost all spark again. I don't know this for a fact.

Anyway is there a list of the different fixes somewhere?

FWIW I have no desire for this to be a personally worked on project. With the limited time I have, it will never get fixed.

Latest posts

Back