Misfiring at cruise and acceleration.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a 09 Vmax 1700 with 18k miles 2 months ago. Started running rough recently with no check engine light. Its all stock. Smells like its running rich thinking might be a coil. Wondering what you guys think or done with similar issues.

Just bought a 09 Vmax 1700 with 18k miles 2 months ago. Started running rough recently with no check engine light. Its all stock. Smells like its running rich thinking might be a coil. Wondering what you guys think or done with similar issues.

You need to check the diagnostic mode for codes.
Do you have a service manual?

Doubt it a coil,I’d throw a fresh set of spark plugs in kind of a pain but duable with a little patience.I would also check to see if the recall was done on the wiring harness

I was messing around and unplugged the coils 1 by 1 and found that the back right cylinder didn't change the engine tone. So what ever is going on is in the back right cylinder. I have no clue about if any recalls have been done to it. Would they still honor them given the year and miles?

Thanks for the responses, I just ordered plugs and coils, gonna try and knock it out Monday and will update when I'm done. Also will check my local dealer about the recalls

Thanks for the responses, I just ordered plugs and coils, gonna try and knock it out Monday and will update when I'm done. Also will check my local dealer about the recalls
The dealer should be able to discover if any recalls were addressed by your VIN.

Got my plugs in before the coils so I went ahead and replaced them and its running tip top. There was some rust around the metal seal so I guess it wasn't grounding 100%. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201122-213048_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201122-213048_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 14
Yes a satisfying fix, quick, cheap, and effective.

I believe I mentioned this before. On a KZ1000 (back-in the '80's) I had installed new NGK's, along-with an oil change, and K&N filter clean, and the bike had a miss after. It was throughout the rev-band. I mentioned it to my friend who was a mechanic and a machinist, and he said, "you probably have a bad plug!"

"No-way! I just replaced them. I'm thinking a bad tank of gas or water in the gas."

As has-been mentioned several times here, swap the part replaced, and see if the problem 'follows the switched part' and if it does, you found the problem. Also, if a problem occurs where there was none before, what was it that you worked-upon, last?

Yes, it was a defective spark plug, out of the box. No cracked insulator, no dropped plug closing the gap. Just a defective plug which escaped the QC screening at the factory. I learned a lesson on that bike.

Hi all
I just wanted to thanks this forum and it’s members.
I have an ‘09 that I recently upgraded with srp exhaust, airbox mod, and gurued flash. Bike was awsesome. Smooth and fast. During a Sunday morning ride it suddenly felt rougher at low rpm’s and difficult to pull away smoothly. Rpm’s would surge a bit. Felt like I was missing a cylinder.
I started search this forum and found this thread. A few hours and bruised knuckles later, corroded plugs are replaced and the bike is back to awesome.
Thanks again. This forum rocks!!

Latest posts

Back