Missing hose?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZackDaniels

Reaction score
Missing hose? (Answered) Loud occasional clicking?

The max has been a dream bike of mine for awhile. I found a 2006 with a meager 2000 miles on it and have been doing my best to double that before the season is out :) This bike is too nice of a machine to live as a garage ornament!

Anyway in putting around town and getting used to the bike I've noticed a couple things.

Number 1 is : http://imgur.com/xIvJT,8sGgI there seems there should be a hose on the left side that is gone. It looks like maybe it would go into the carb but the bike isn't running like a vacuum line is absent so I don't know? I grabbed a service manual but I can't really tell based on diagrams etc of what may or may not go there.

Number 2 : While the bike is running I'll occasionally hear a loud click, sounds almost like a shift except I'm not shifting and it's not quite that loud. I hear it sometimes when the ignition key is switched to on and isn't actually running so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump activating. I know the wurr in startup is the servo check for vboost, but the pump should also top off the carbs. I'm thinking that's the click since it's not every single time the key is turned. It's similar if not the same sound (hard to be sure since I hear one without engine noise, and think I hear it again with engine/exhaust/wind/traffic/etc). Just curious if that's normal and should be so audible.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Probably used to be a Cali. bike. Hose that goes there goes to the evap. cannister.

Was purchased new in Illinois by the original (only before me) owner. It's still in Illinois. I guess on the 06 they just have the mount there universally?

Thanks for the insight, it's a bit of a relief to know I'm not missing something important and couldn't tell based on how the bike was running lol

my 07 had that there also.....not a smog bike...it was bought in Maine.

Hmmm, my 99 doesn't have that. Wonder what year that started getting put on?

There is a similar clip that holds the fuel line but it does not mount in the diaphragm cover.

Yep mine had it too when I picked it up new from the dealer. I removed it when I cleaned the carbs.

That's all very reassuring. I'll take it off and pop it in the toolkit or wherever in case something ever arises for it I won't have lost it.

Any thoughts on the occasional clicking sound?

Number 2 : While the bike is running I'll occasionally hear a loud click, sounds almost like a shift except I'm not shifting and it's not quite that loud. I hear it sometimes when the ignition key is switched to on and isn't actually running so I'm thinking it's the fuel pump activating. I know the wurr in startup is the servo check for vboost, but the pump should also top off the carbs. I'm thinking that's the click since it's not every single time the key is turned. It's similar if not the same sound (hard to be sure since I hear one without engine noise, and think I hear it again with engine/exhaust/wind/traffic/etc). Just curious if that's normal and should be so audible.

Side note: 06Vmaximus is there write-up or anything for lighting up the scoops like that? It's bad ass and I want to steal it :)

I didn't see that hose/clip on my '86.

The clicking sound may be the fuel pump. Do you hear the repeated clicking of it when first switching on the ignition? There should be a number of rapid clicks (more when you haven't started it for a few days) which eventually slow down and stop as the fuel bowls are filled. Then as you ride it will click at regular intervals as it pumps fuel, but you usually can't hear those over the motor's noise.

Back