Mitsubishi cops with dyna 3000

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumacorp

Reaction score
Ive read that the Mitsu cops are not good with the dyna 3k system...Is there any truth to this???Can I use them???Whats different about them and the denso ones??
These damn ones I ordered were supposed to be denso..

The ones I got from a 2007 R6 had the Mitsubishi logo on the sides of them and work just fine. I've heard in a couple places that the Denso sticks are better also, but also in a lot of places that they're all virtually identical and just depends on who the OEM bought the sticks from that year.

Sorry, didn't mention those were with the OE ignition. But no, wired the sticks right to the original coil pack leads.

I used to run the Mitsu cops with my Dyna 3000. After about a few hundred miles, I blew the Dyna up. Got stuck and had to be towed home. When I saw the Dyna, it had been over heated and the plastic case was blown up.

I don't mean to be too dramatic here. What I saw was that the case had an actual melted hole in it. I think the power transistors got so hot inside from the excess current draw, that they over heated and blew out, while at the same time melting the plastic case.

Later on I had an issue with the Mitsu cops and then sparking to the engine case. In this case, they would momentarily short out and cause my bike to stall. I replaced with a set of the Densos and have not had a problem in several thousand miles since.

Vinnie

Attachments

• Dyna 3000 blow up 1.jpg
    Dyna 3000 blow up 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 33
vinmax; did you go back to the oem ign. when you replaced the cops with the densos, or did you get another Dyna 3000???

vinmax; did you go back to the oem ign. when you replaced the cops with the densos, or did you get another Dyna 3000???
I went back to the stock ignition. I love having the COPS. And the stock ignition idles what I'll call 'cleaner' than the Dyna.
Once I blew up the Dyna, I really had no intention of getting another one and then going back to stock coils. At the time, I did think about putting resistors inline with the COPS and then using a Dyna again, but in theory, they will charge faster and put out more power with no resistor. So back to the stock TCI ignition I went.
That was yearssssssssss ago. Have been running this way for so long and love it. I won't be messing with the current setup. The bike has 42,000+ miles on it now and I think I first changed over and did all the experimenting when the bike had less than 1/2 that mileage (I'd have to check old pictures to get a time and mileage stamp to know the exact time and miles). But I'd let anyone know that I've run this setup for over 20,000 miles with no issues except in the beginning with the old Denso COPS.

***LOL!!! Just realized I responded to a yearssssssssssss old post. Oh well, good to have this info here anyway in case someone else is interested :)

Vinnie

I went back to the stock ignition. I love having the COPS. And the stock ignition idles what I'll call 'cleaner' than the Dyna.
Once I blew up the Dyna, I really had no intention of getting another one and then going back to stock coils. At the time, I did think about putting resistors inline with the COPS and then using a Dyna again, but in theory, they will charge faster and put out more power with no resistor. So back to the stock TCI ignition I went.
That was yearssssssssss ago. Have been running this way for so long and love it. I won't be messing with the current setup. The bike has 42,000+ miles on it now and I think I first changed over and did all the experimenting when the bike had less than 1/2 that mileage (I'd have to check old pictures to get a time and mileage stamp to know the exact time and miles). But I'd let anyone know that I've run this setup for over 20,000 miles with no issues except in the beginning with the old Denso COPS.

***LOL!!! Just realized I responded to a yearssssssssssss old post. Oh well, good to have this info here anyway in case someone else is interested :)
Vinnie

It doesn't matter when the last post was, because the info you added was of interest for the subject. Some people get hung-up on someone adding to old threads, that's their 'hang-up!' I've found those are the people who whine when someone writes more-than a paragraph: "I don't have time to read a book, dude!" :eek:

Back