mixture screw torque?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
Does anybody have a fix for mixture screw dumbassery? these were torqued good and proper so they wouldn't fall out. right to the permanent setting.

Do you mean that they are seized and you can't turn them?

If so, the first thing I would do is to apply some penetrating oil and let them stand overnight.
Make sure that your screwdriver is a very good fit in the slot.
Try tapping the end of the screwdriver as you turn; try clockwise and anti clockwise.
If you attach a Mole (self locking) wrench to the driver this will give some additional leverage if required.

When attempting to turn apply a gentle turning force that you build up.

If all goes well you will have loosened the screws. If it hasn't you will have Donald Ducked the screw head. :eek:

i wish it we're that simple. they have been tightened to the point where two of them left the tips in the carbs.and one will not turn at all. i will probably just start over with another set.

Last edited:
Wow! So they are all tight down into the seat? You have your work cut out for you. Bad enough when you have one stuck, let alone all four. Work slowly and try not to strip them out, lots of penetrant will be your friend. But you may have a tough row to hoe ahead of you.

Sheesh. Sorry. I need to learn to refresh. I didn't see any responses at all when I posted the above Blurb.

I had one like that, in a set of bodies I bought.

Left-hand drill set, probably gonna have the screw turn itself out as the bit catches.

The tip which was sticking-out the sidewall of the venturi, I used a deep socket, something like a 5/8", and I carefully placed it over the protruding brass tip, and I used it to push-into the female-threaded passageway the broken-off tip. It fell-out the end, below the CV cap. I used a tap to chase the threads, careful not-to go too-far into the passageway, I used a blind-hole tap. I measured an unmolested air bleed screw hole's depth to-where it steps-down, and used that measurement for chasing the threads.

VMax air bleed screw hole.jpg

Last edited:
got 3 tips out. I will try not to destroy the last one after lunch.

Before trying to drill you would need to ensure that the top of the screw is flat so it can be centre punched or drilled to prevent the drill bit wandering off.

I would be inclined to add a mill with a slot cutter to the list.

i made a nylon collar that goes around the drill bit and fits in the hole. add a clamp on drill stop and even i can't screw it up.

Use an 8mm/1/4" drill bit to get a good center, or a centering bit of that size, even better . Then drill the head for, easy out, extraction. I tap the easy out in then put the easy out in a vise and twist the cab body. Usually the tip can be dislodged by tapping on the carb body. +1 to pushing the tip from the inside, if needed. Anyone that cranks the needles in like that?

im still working on it and i'm getting close. but just in case i pulled another body and started cleaning and noticed someone had drilled all four of these caps removed them done some sort of surgery and replaced them. then they put screws in the caps. 5BC14E76-F8C1-40F3-9F8F-49BB904804F1.jpegdoes anybody know what for?

The only thing i can think is to drill the seats for more flow.

Last edited:
The red circle looks like it’s covering the cap the allows you access to change the needle valve seat In the float chamber. Some people remove these caps by inserting a screw on top to pull them out, but no need to do that as you can push the needle valve seat out from the inside using a socket and clamp, the cap easily pushes out with the seat. That cap only has an ‘o’ ring holding it in. There are posts already on this site giving instructions on this procedure if you need it, certainly helped me do the job. But the caps with screws inserted means someone has probably changed the needle valve seats the long way.

sounds about right. got it out anyway. it took a minute.D5A3C3F5-89AF-4623-836B-2F492BBD92E2.jpeg

Last edited:
now someone needs to trade me that spare set of stage7 needles they have for somthing off of this 93 that they need that i don't.

i was under the impression you couldn't buy just the needles. would be great if you could depending on how much they are.

and ill still have all these extra parts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back