Monster Big air Kit question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

why2kmax

Reaction score
The filters on the Gen 2 Monster big air kit.... Are the filters dry or do they need to be oiled like a K&N?

I bought my bike with the kit already on it but never gave the filters a second thought since I was only putting about 1000 miles a year on the bike. Now that its my ONLY bike :( I wondered if they need to be serviced/cleaned or what. I noticed mine appear white and dry but dont know what filters this mod comes with. Are they oiled and mine dried out over the years, or are they dry mesh filters and just need to be blown out occaisionally. AFAIK its no longer sold, and All the info on it was wrapped up on the old star vmax site which is were most if not all info here sends you. So.. ?

Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide
jeff

The original MBA kit had 4 K&N filters I believe (I had one on my bike but it was a long time ago).
There was a second build of kits done by someone else and that kit may have used different filters.
The K&Ns are light red and definitely need to be oiled. If yours are white they may be a different brand and like you said a paper element that just needs to be blown out or replaced.

Last edited:
Here are two photos I found. The original kit came with the cylindrical shaped filters, one photo here shows cone-shaped filters I believe both images are K&N's.
I would pull a filter off there may be a part number on it.
vmax_011.jpg full.jpg

In this video in the beginning you can clearly see these are K&N's.... This is the original kit. if yours are K$N it's most likely right on the top of the filter.

Where can I purchase a monster big air kit? Can’t seem to find it on the internet...

Where can I purchase a monster big air kit? Can’t seem to find it on the internet...

It's no longer available.

Personally I would say unless you spend a lot of time at the dragstrip, you will be much happier with the Triple Threat airbox mod. It makes a bunch more power under the curve and sacrifices little on the top.

Mark was able to prove with the triple threat airbox at the dyno....that it out performed the mba down low and the same as the mba up top.

Here are two photos I found. The original kit came with the cylindrical shaped filters, one photo here shows cone-shaped filters I believe both images are K&N's.
I would pull a filter off there may be a part number on it.
View attachment 71674 View attachment 71675
I have this mod on my 2009 and im trying to identify what specific K&N filters these are, number on top does not.match any on their website... any help?

Yep, it's all about getting good air for sure,,,,,,,but very importantly keeping (at least some) of the airbox to help with the Helmholtz Resonator effect. Otherwise you're tossing the valuable power adding effects of the resonator pulses, and making the engine work harder to suck in air.
I put a link to a very good YouTube video about how it all works in an earlier post.
Very good vid;

Latest posts

Back