More Harley BS...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Just when you thought the Motor Company couldn't be any more full of themselves...

One of the people I frequently ride with (who rides an R6), his mother has a HD "Heritage Softail", but the 2003 hundredth anniversary special edition. Long story short she laid it down at low speed, enough to scratch up the chrome, mess up the handlebars....and dent the tank, specifically, messing up the OFFICIAL COMMEMORATIVE 100th anniversary HD tank emblem. It carried full insurance which provisioned for repairs after a crash. Another friend went to the local HD dealer to get the parts needed to fix the bike....throttle grip, brake pedal, a few other bits and pieces. Other than exorbitant pricing you'd expect from pretty much any brand, nothing surprising. Until he asked for a new tank badge(the emblem was damaged, but the tank was fine). Holy shit, you'd think he just asked the parts guy to put Japanese flags on all the bikes in the showroom. He knew it was for a 2003 from the other parts already ordered. Seriously, you could have punched the parts guy square in the balls and he wouldn't have looked more.....soured. He finally pulls his head out of his ass and in a voice that sounds like you just dissed him with the best "yo momma" joke ever dropped, said that "that wasn't possible". I don't remember the exact wording, but the conversation went something like this: I was just along for the ride, my friend was doing the talking....

"What do you mean, it's not possible?. It's right there in the parts catalog. Number xx on the fiche"

"You can't just get a new Harley Davidson(tm) badge. It's a restricted (he specifically said that word) part."

"So what's that mean? You have to special order it or something?"

"No. HD emblems are unique to the model and year, ESPECIALLY your 100th anniversary badge. To get it replaced, you will need to provide proof of how it was damaged (WTF?), bring the bike to us, we will record the VIN and numbers, remove the tank, and send it to Harley. They will then install new emblems on a new tank, mail it back to us, and we will re-install it on the bike."

Something like "You're shitting me, right?"

(Looking all offended) "NO, that is official Harley Davidson policy on lost/stolen/damaged emblems. You have to provide proof it was lost or stolen, or bring us (an official HD dealer) the emblem if damaged."

"So you won't sell me the emblem so I can just change it, and instead want to sell me a $950 tank that I don't need."

(Exasperated, like he's explaining nuclear physics to a 5 year old) "NO. All emblems are controlled by Harley. We are not at liberty to stock or sell badges."

"And why is that?"

"To prevent counterfeit bikes. (I almost lost it on that one). People have been known to turn more "conventional" Harleys into limited-edition collector versions that are highly sought after by swapping parts, and the badge is a major distinguishment of these special models. 100th anniversary models are highly collectible and carry higher values. We need to be sure the bike is authentic to it's manufactured model, and verify this with Harley. Only then will they issue a replacement badge."

Then he said something along the lines of "that's the biggest load of horse shit I've ever heard in my life", and that he'd just leave it dented. Now here's where I think we transcended from Officially Licensed and Endorsed Bullshit to plain-old vanilla bullshit, but who knows...

"Leaving a damaged emblem on your bike is an offense to (blah blah blah, motor company heritage or something), and we as a dealer are required to replace any damaged emblems on any bikes that come in through Harley"

"So I won't bring the bike in. What if I bring you just the damaged emblem? Will you exchange it?"

"NO! I told you that we have to verify the vin and all numbers on the bike. You must bring the bike in."

"But we're not going to pay $950 for a new tank just to get a new emblem."

The parts guy really didn't have anything to say to that.

"So just bag up these other parts, and make sure to print up a receipt(for insurance)." The parts guy was still almost dumbstruck from this lack of compliance to the Harley Davidson religion.

I at first thought the parts guy must have been some exceptional HD die-hard bonehead and was feeding us a line of shit, probably because he saw us pull up on a Boulevard(with saddlebags to put all the harley shit into), and a Vmax. Then I poked around with google for a bit, and this is not a rare occurence. Lots of threads on HD forums about logos and emblems being "difficult to obtain", even on non-special edition bikes. Can you believe this shit? All because it would be "disrespectful" to interchange parts between bikes? I thought Harley was all about customization and "making it your own", as long as you don't want to change that tank badge. Nope. That's off-limits. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to only bear it in the presence of another Harley, and drape in with a black veil near anything not American so as not to shame the HD brand by being seen with a non-HD brand.

Man, that Kool-Aid is getting stronger every day.

Good times at the Harley dealer! What a crock of shite.... Your friend is obviously a man of great restraint. Did you envision the parts guy getting fed into a chipper during this transaction???

what a joke, emblem is probably made in China to boot.

Just pop it off with a screwdriver and replace it with a Mickey Mouse sticker instead.

In court they would help build my case against why I would never buy one. Period! I can see the point but proof apperantly goes out the window when you ride it off the lot. WAY to stand behind the "brother hood".

Oh yeah! Well I decided I liked the 2005 shift flame 25 anniversary faux airbox cover, you know the one. The Yami parts guy said I need to bring in the old cover to prove mine was damaged. I said what if the cover was stolen? He said I'd have to bring in the title and a police report. I said I could get a note from my mommy if that would do. He got mad and told me to go buy a Harley! You know I'm just yanking your chain right! They'll sell you as many as you like with a small downpayment until they run out. This thread made my day!

I've been on Harley's since I could sit up since both my Grandfather and Father had bikes. I personally have been riding my own for about 30 years with a few Yami Suzi Hondas sprinkled in for fun. I used to go to the Dealers when they were little run down metal buildings and you could even catch me sportin one of their T shirts. Newest Harley I ever owned was a 73 Sporty and now I have a 72 FLH (for the past 17 years) and I wouldn't have a new one if they gave it to me nor will you catch me anywhere near their little boutiques with all of the "Badass wannabes" hangin around with the 2 year old bike that has 754 miles on it talking about riding. The idea of investment motorcycle went away with the Shovelhead and even those aren't pulling the money they once were. This new crowd sucks!!!
Later
Duke

^^^Someone who just said NO to the HD kool aid and trendy bad-ass wannabe store bought image.

Speaking of a "boutique", they actually have those. It's like a Harley dealer, except they finally cut the crap and admitted nobody goes to a dealer for the bikes. So they just fill an entire store with Officially Licensed and Endorsed t-shirts, bed sheets, shotglasses, and probably tampons, then call it a Harley Davidson Boutique(it says that on the sign). There's one in Lake Placid. For shits 'n giggles I went in there once, wearing my "Vmax Power" t-shirt from vmaxoutlaw.com to boot. I was absolutely floored at how much stuff was in there, and every single last item had Harley Davidson, or the shield logo somewhere on it. If you think a Yamaha t-shirt at the local dealer is pricey at $25 or something....all the more reason you "can't afford" a Harley. A plain black Hanes shirt with the HD logo on it was $39. One with more "extravagant" graphics was $45. A hoodie was $75. A factory race replica team shirt(I didn't realize Harley raced anything in the past 30 years or so), was nearly $100. And the place was packed, with a substantial line at the register. Most of the patrons already had on some sort of HD clothing, or a dealer shirt. I saw one couple ring up almost $200 worth of HD merch.

Back about 15 years ago this little dweeb i worked with, who wrecked two bikes before getting his licenese (neither of which was he fault, per him) ordered, yes ordered a 883 hugger, paid at least retail, than ordered at least $5000 worth or parts, all before he ever rode a hardly. The tank was an absolute joke, IT was brand new and NEEDED work done to it before it could be painted, he all of a sudden wore harley everything. I used to joke I was going to shellac a turd with a little harley flag in i and sell it to him

Hey guys.. You gotta start some where. I can vividly remember riding my brand new Max off the lot in 85 and I know the sales man was shaking his head mumbling under his breath that it would be a miracle if that punk survived cuz I wobbled leaving the lot.

Those punks are the future.:biglaugh: They need to be taught.

Harley is in financial trouble. They do the emblem shit to try to keep the value up. They can't do it by performance so they do it artifically. I just read where they are thinking to move production to a cheaper labor market. Mexico comes to mind. Then the screaming eagle stuff will become the tacky taco line.
Dave #3505

The only thing Harley does in the US is "final assembly", where they take all the components made in Japan, or sub-assemblies made in Brasil, and slap them together into what they like to call a motorcycle. I think they do the paint there also, but not sure. It's an American company, but considering how much HD plays up the patriotic, all-American, flags/eagle on everything image, it's even more of a joke.

At least Ford and GM manage to actually build most of their product in the US. I know both outsource to Mexico, and use Asian components, but sheesh.

I'm not sure if HD has ever not been in financial difficulty, though it's tough to see how. They sell a $15k bagger for $30k, and a $6k standard for $12k. A $5 t-shirt costs $40. Their margins must be enormous, and there will always be rednecks and RUB's who will gladly pay full retail, or even above to get a genuine HD. Yet they're constantly in the proverbial poor house, pulling for government money, protection, and who knows? Maybe they'll try to get a 40% tariff on imported bikes again.

prob the die hard HD fan likes the fact that he has to send in his tank to get the assembly plant to install his badge , makes him feel his bike and himself are special, all you have to do is pay for it. seems they spend lots of money from the bike, apparel, parts all just to feel like they got something great, guess money buys happiness eh?

I lost a few friends to Harley horseshit and the wannabe bad ass attitude. Sad to say most of the ass I have kick in the bars have been Harley riders with their I can beat anyone down attitude :rofl_200:
Well I am just the person to call you on your line of shit I have never been afraid to have a go :punk:
I look at it like this if your man enough to kick my ass I am man enough to take the ass beating. But I dam sure will not take the bullshit from these wannabes who think a shirt makes them tough and don't forget the chain driven wallet :rofl_200:
To all real riders of bikes ride on and ride hard for those who want to be a bad ass I say you better go to the gym first because you never know who you may run into.:biglaugh:
just my two cent

How about a Harly toilet? Black and orange,the logo on the bottom of the bowl.When you flush, it goes blat ba blat...... blat ba blat, gives off gasoline fumes and shakes. $700 retail? Must be used with Harly toilet paper, sold at the dealer only. $10 a role (made in Asia)
I know they'll sell.
Steve-o

How about a Harly toilet? Black and orange,the logo on the bottom of the bowl.When you flush, it goes blat ba blat...... blat ba blat, gives off gasoline fumes and shakes. $700 retail? Must be used with Harly toilet paper, sold at the dealer only. $10 a role (made in Asia)
I know they'll sell.
Steve-o

Don't they call that the sportster, or fat boy or road king or...

Ok , I know this guy who loves his harleys. And he used to ride a v65 magna.
but he hates vmax's. so I roll into a bikenight. He's standing there points at my bike and starts talking smack.So i do what hehe i do best. I roll up to him and say. Dude i know you don't like vmax's. But why? have you ever seen one from the front? I know you seen my tail light. But come here look at the stunning looks. OH and have you heard it. as i restart the max and give him a few revs. He's still mad at me. but oh well shouldn't have started talking smack.

as far as badges go i can understand that i guess. can you get the 20th anniversary vmax badges?

Back