Morley's 320mm Busa Brakes for 85-92

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92max

Reaction score
First attempt at a how to. Try not to judge.
Sean supplied the new laser cut bracket for his 320mm set up. Decided to go with a single brake up front, which turns out is MORE than plenty! really only took about an hour or so to knock out, once I figured out where to grind. some grinding on the caliper is necessary, but other than that fits PERFECT. only problem is now I have to keep the wheel cleaner because it really shows it off. install is very straightforward, just so long as you pay attention to how the bracket faces. had it on backwards at first and it worked. real well actually, but the pads were only getting the outer 1/2 inch or so of rotor surface, hence the grinding.

The first 2 pics show the WRONG way to install the bracket. including the closeup of the contact area.

The third shows the right way. Note the bolt location placement front to rear.

The 4th shows where to grind to allow the bolts to clear, so the bracket fits the right way.

The 5th is the nice view of the wheel if you go with a single side setup.

The last 2 are comparisons of the stock vs the 320 mm setup.

Also if you go with a single, you'll have to cap off the transfer tube to the left side brakes with a shorter bolt and copper washer.

This should be a mandated mod. the difference is just amazing guys. I got the caliper and rotor from Sean. I know you can find calipers cheaper on ebay, and there have been some posts about the cheapy rotors from ebay. the one Sean gets is a piece of art, so if you don't want to gamble Sean's is awesome.

Attachments

• WRONG.jpg
    WRONG.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 232
  • wrong contact close up.jpg
    wrong contact close up.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 207
  • Right way closeup.jpg
    Right way closeup.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 241
  • grind here.jpg
    grind here.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 214
  • clean side.jpg
    clean side.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 216
  • side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 219
  • stacked.jpg
    stacked.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 183
that looks more like 298 setup than a 320.

Tis 320 I can assure you. I measured and Sean showed me the 298 vs 320 at his shop.

That and the bracket is way different than the one for the Busa calipers on the 298mm because that's what I have and I just have a single too and it stops better than it did stock with the 2 four piston calipers.. Any reason you went on that side? I staggered mine to the opposite side of the rear rotor, I imagine it probably doesn't make a difference..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

That and the bracket is way different than the one for the Busa calipers on the 298mm because that's what I have and I just have a single too and it stops better than it did stock with the 2 four piston calipers.. Any reason you went on that side? I staggered mine to the opposite side of the rear rotor, I imagine it probably doesn't make a difference..

these things have a rear brake? my rear brake tends to be 1200cc's. But to be honest 2 reasons I went with that side.
1. that's what Morley gave me to beta test.
2. I made an excuse of 320mm of brake, might as well show it off on the sidestand. ha ha

these things have a rear brake? my rear brake tends to be 1200cc's. But to be honest 2 reasons I went with that side.
1. that's what Morley gave me to beta test.
2. I made an excuse of 320mm of brake, might as well show it off on the sidestand. ha ha

As good of reasons as any! lol

I did the concersion on a 2005 my bike. Awesome looking. I anodized the rotor. Straight forward install. Bracket fit beautifully. Had to shim the caliper with a set of washers to make it center up in the pads on the rotor. See pic.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374499822020.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374499822020.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 94
Good to see you got the later model fork brackets. Looks like we need a longer brake line though. Were there any fitment problems getting the bracket on or is it ready to go?

No issues other than one bolt hole was slightly smaller than the other three. Quick drill fixed that. Had to grind a wee bit from the caliper inside for clearance for the rotor. Grind was inside the caliper on the top and bottom of the spot where the rotor runs thru. I put the factory washer spacers in on the fork and added two washers in between the bolt and the caliper to get the rotor perfectly centered in the caliper.
Install was less than an hour.. that included swapping the rotor from 298mm to 320mm.
Looks awesome and you can really feel a difference.

I see no reason why it wouldn't! The 320mm rotor that fits the Vmax wheel is from a 2005 FJR only. The masters work well with the dual busa calipers so a single would give a more solid feel then the duals. The increased rotor leverage is why we decided to sell these for a single setup though it would work as a dual too (though way more brakes then you'd ever use).

Just an update here.. brakes are ##$#@#@@ wicked... all bedded in now and two fingers all u need. You could actually throw yourself over the bars if you tried lol. The grabbing is amazing. Way better than the stock setup and only one side too for less weight. So glad I did this.

I'm kind of skeptical about running just one front brake. The Hayabusa goes a wee bit faster than a Vmax, but it also weighs a hundred pounds less. Adding 100 pounds and removing half of the front brake sounds like the rest would be underwhelming at best.

The wildcard would be the master cylinder. If the Vmax master has more leverage than the Busa unit, that would compensate at least somewhat.

'99 VFR800, '08 1125R, '06 1050, '91 F2, '03 DRZ400

I'd say the only way you're going to know is to try it. We ran this setup for over a year (in very aggressive riding conditions) and it worked great. We would not even consider offering it if it wasn't a good upgrade.

Having said that. There is no reason you can't get two kits and run duals. You'd have WAY more brakes then you need but some people like overkill lol!

Latest posts

Back