Motorcycle Collections

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wrong. The Thor is a "1913" ! ! !

Can't imagine riding something like that from Portland, ME to Portland, OR (although it was acknowledged that a good bit of it was spent on trailer). It was dyno'd at a whopping 10HP not long after the run. LOL. No wonder he complained about Logan Pass. As I recall, my complaint about that Pass was that I couldn't feel my fingers. (In June).

Kyle, that's some group of bikes. They all look to be in decent shape too, not rusty, useless piles 'o-crap someone values each in the $1,000's of dollars. The amount of garage Tetris to free any one bike would consume a half-day, I suspect.

This bike looks like it's European, perhaps Italian, German, or East German. I suspect it's a 2-stroke. Anyone know what it is? I see left-side kick-start, die-cast covers w/generous finning, but where's the frame? And, what's with that straight-sided, angular sheetmetal behind what I assume is the engine? I think it has a right-side chain drive, because I see no-signs of it on the left side. There is also a floorboard, maybe it's a moped? After studying it more, I think that's the right-side we're seeing, and there is a crashbar there too. If that balled-up cover wasn't there, I'd have a much-easier time of trying to determine what that is. Heck, I can't even i.d the red tank bike next-to the one I'm describing. A shot from a foot to the right, and we might be able to i.d. both those bikes.

Bonus quiz: which motorcycle in that picture, "sings?" And, what in-heck does that even-mean?🤔

Treasure trove found by Kyle - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
1622073825648.png Bonus quiz: which motorcycle in that picture, "sings?" And, what in-heck does that even-mean?

No idea. I have never seen that machine that I know of.

I assume you're answering two things, with the first sentence, and the i.d. of the circled one in the second sentence. I dunno that thing either. I wonder if there's enough there for anyone to i.d. it. Someone, somewhere... .

Kyle, that's some group of bikes. They all look to be in decent shape too, not rusty, useless piles 'o-crap someone values each in the $1,000's of dollars. The amount of garage Tetris to free any one bike would consume a half-day, I suspect.

This bike looks like it's European, perhaps Italian, German, or East German. I suspect it's a 2-stroke. Anyone know what it is? I see left-side kick-start, die-cast covers w/generous finning, but where's the frame? And, what's with that straight-sided, angular sheetmetal behind what I assume is the engine? I think it has a right-side chain drive, because I see no-signs of it on the left side. There is also a floorboard, maybe it's a moped? After studying it more, I think that's the right-side we're seeing, and there is a crashbar there too. If that balled-up cover wasn't there, I'd have a much-easier time of trying to determine what that is. Heck, I can't even i.d the red tank bike next-to the one I'm describing. A shot from a foot to the right, and we might be able to i.d. both those bikes.

Bonus quiz: which motorcycle in that picture, "sings?" And, what in-heck does that even-mean?🤔

View attachment 77269
Cushman
1622079430930.png1622079430930.png
1622079672815.png

Last edited:
Good one on the Cushman. The SL70 was an easy i.d., I didn't have any-doubt about that. Your '71 was an SL350 Motosport, yes? "Super Hunky" Sieman has some interesting comments on the bike: Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com Motocross Action!

Honda SL350 Motosport.png

Now, "what bike sings?" (that's in the picture?)

Last edited:
Good one on the Cushman. There were two of 'em. The SL70 was an easy i.d., I didn't have any-doubt about that.

God that is the first picture I even seen of an SL70 , last one was 35 yrs. ago forgot all about that bike.

Would the singer be the Kawasaki 3 cylinder in the back ground. Looks like a 1971 Kawasaki 500 III. When those came out they where screamers. Made a beautiful sound. Very fast. We where amazed.....:oops:
1622082547836.png

Last edited:
My first street bike was a 1972 Kaw H2 750. Bought it right out of high school from a classmate who, incidentally, a couple years later, was on Nightline with Ted Koppel. He was a fighter pilot and had multiple kills in dogfights in one sortie in the first Iraq war. Scary bike though…No low end whatsoever but you better be hanging on when it hit!!!

My first street bike was a 1972 Kaw H2 750. Bought it right out of high school from a classmate who, incidentally, a couple years later, was on Nightline with Ted Koppel. He was a fighter pilot and had multiple kills in dogfights in one sortie in the first Iraq war. Scary bike though…No low end whatsoever but you better be hanging on when it hit!!!
Wish we had one now, huh ?

Yeah, my brother totaled it a year later. Went off a road that had just been tar and chipped. Caught the right cylinder on a utility pole and cracked the engine in half. Miraculously he wasn’t hurt, flew right over the handle bars. I was behind him on 1982 Honda 650 Nighthawk that I just bought.

Good one on the Cushman. The SL70 was an easy i.d., I didn't have any-doubt about that. Your '71 was an SL350 Motosport, yes? "Super Hunky" Sieman has some interesting comments on the bike: Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com Motocross Action!

View attachment 77280

Well, I don't know which one sings, but my 1st gen Vmax dances, that I can tell.

Would the singer be the Kawasaki 3 cylinder in the back ground. Looks like a 1971 Kawasaki 500 III. When those came out they where screamers. Made a beautiful sound. Very fast. We where amazed.....:oops:
View attachment 77279
Yes the '71 Mach III had one of the first transistorized electronic ignitions, the Kawi 350 Avenger had one too. No-more points and condenser! I bet most of the members here have never-even touched a dwell meter, much-less know how to use one. I had a '71, like the one above, I bought it 2 years old. My friend had a brand-new Sportster, the first year of the 1000 (a '72) and he was not-happy that my two-stroke would leave him in a haze of Klotz two-stroke oil anytime we engaged in a contest.

A very-distinctive start-up procedure: when you turned-on the bike's ignition, you would be greeted with a high-pitched keening from under the seat, as the ignition announced its readiness to trounce any challengers: "Eeeeeeeeee!" Kick it over, and the sound stopped when the bike was running. It usually would begin running when the kickstarter hadn't swung-through its full travel. I still have a speedometer for one, OEM. It has my community college parking sticker on it, from 46 years ago.

Last edited:
Back