Motorcycle Collections

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guy had lots of stiff the one bike in the front is a Laverda he had 2 of them. I originally went out to look at a 68 BSA . He was pretty proud of his stuff price wise & obviously was not hurting for money. I did not but the BSA & if I would have it probably would have been an all day job to get it out.

Attachments

• CAM00971.jpg
    CAM00971.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 10
  • CAM00972.jpg
    CAM00972.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 10
  • CAM00973.jpg
    CAM00973.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 10
  • CAM00974.jpg
    CAM00974.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 11
  • CAM00975.jpg
    CAM00975.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 11
This guy had lots of stiff the one bike in the front is a Laverda he had 2 of them. I originally went out to look at a 68 BSA . He was pretty proud of his stuff price wise & obviously was not hurting for money. I did not but the BSA & if I would have it probably would have been an all day job to get it out.
"Power Egg!"

Here's a BSA Hornet one of my western NYS friends raced flat track with in the mid-1960's. He sold the bike, and years later, he bought-back the same bike. It's a resto-mod, and all the OEM parts are safely squirreled-away. BSA used his brothers and him in ads in the motorcycle magazines of the day.

BSA Hornet left.jpg
BSA ad (2).jpg

And here's a BSA Gold Star, a single-cylinder bike used for nearly every-type of competition. They raced these, too. This one was restored by the guy on the left in the above ad. Pic taken at a famous bike show in St. Augustine FL several years ago.

BSA Gold Star Norm Robinson.02.jpg

I recognized the Laverda. One of my friends from fire-rescue has a Laverda Jota. The top-end of the engine closely-resembles the Honda 305 Superhawk. Both are SOHC designs. The Italians weren't above copying the Japanese designs. If you look at the Italian 2 cyl, 3 cyl and 4 cyl 1970's SOHC bikes you see a strong resemblance to the Japanese bikes, a trend they carried over to their Italian 6 cyl SOHC bikes. The Benelli Sei resembles in the engine compartment, a SOHC 1972 Honda 500-4.

The bike that the BSA is front wheel to front wheel with, is a 1972 Yamaha 250 Enduro. The factory did a great job on those bikes. The 250 Enduro started in '68, and had a production run in very-much the same configuration, to 1973. Along the way, they improved suspension components, and also released a 'for off-road use only' version in both 250 and 360cc. There were smaller displacement enduro/dual-purpose and off-road versions too. Their first off-road use-only bikes were modified enduro streetbikes, like the DT-1MX (250cc) and the RT-1MX (360cc) then they went to bikes designed for off-road use only (YZ-250, YZ-360), which were designed from the ground-up for competition. There was one year of the YZ's with twin-shocks, and then they changed the market with the famous Monoshock design. 'Game-changer!'

I have a '72 RT-2 Yamaha Enduro I bought new, 49 years-ago this month, it was < $1,000 before taxes. I still have it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the one, below! It appears identical to this one, except the color is silver, a very-handsome bike.

If you had seriously big cojones, you could try-out the Yamaha SC500, an off-road competition-only bike that put fear into the strongest of men, due to its abrupt powerband. A popular fix of the day, was to use a Chevy V8 capacitor, in-place of the OEM one, to modify the power-curve a bit, so the rider at-least had a chance to hang-on.

The Suzuki TM-400 Cyclone was available in both an enduro (road-legal) and off-road competition version. It had a reputation of being a particularly evil-handling bike, with a strong and abrupt powerband. No it was not "just-like the one Joel Robert rode!" despite what your buddy riding one would proudly proclaim. Joel Robert rode one with magnesium components and a titanium frame, and it had to be ballasted to meet the just-over 200 lbs. class minimum. They even had steel slugs in the axles, so they could pass the 'magnet test,' by the scrutineers at the races.

Yamaha 250 Enduro 1972.jpeg

TM400 Cyclone motocross (bring your St. Christopher medal, er, 'make-that two of 'em!')
Suzuki TM400 Cyclone 1972.png

Suzuki TS400 Apache only slightly less-lethal enduro, street-legal, read the article below, linked.
Suzuki-TS400-Apache-1972.jpg

SUZUKI TM400 CYCLONE - The most dangerous bike ever built : Off-Road.com

Last edited:
A very-distinctive start-up procedure: when you turned-on the bike's ignition, you would be greeted with a high-pitched keening from under the seat,

That's the flux capacitor charging.;)

My friend had a brand-new Sportster, the first year of the 1000 (a '72) and he was not-happy that my two-stroke would leave him in a haze of Klotz two-stroke oil anytime we engaged in a contest.

Actually Z1 was 903 cc ....
On paper the Z1 should have been quicker as it has higher power to weight, as below.
Z1 903 cc 82 hp 54 lb/ft 248 kg 12.6s 0.33 hp/kg
H1 498 cc 60 hp 42 lb/ft 188 kg 12.4s 0.31 hp/kg

Is that a post card of Evel Knievel jumping the Grand Canyon? I vaguely remember that and then later jumping double decker buses in London and coming a cropper, must have been early 70s.
That's his notorious Idaho Snake River Canyon jump, in his 'Sky Cycle.' It was a short ride rocket, as-in several seconds of duration, just-enough to get him some altitude, and then enough distance downrange, for his parachute to deploy, and gently allow a leisurely descent to terra firma/Mother Earth. That would put him safely on the other side of the canyon. Supposedly, he 'screwed the pooch,' and as he took a ride unlike any acceleration he'd experienced before, he panicked, and prematurely deployed the parachute, ruining his flight trajectory, costing him needed altitude, and unceremoniously dumping him far-short of his goal. The engineer, Robert Truax, was a gen-you-wine rocket scientist, and all Knievel had to do was go for the ride, and exit the capsule, to the cheers of the adoring crowd. Of course, a percentage of the crowd was there for the possible 'crash & burn,' "I saw Knievel die at Snake River Canyon!" One of my friends went, and he said it was a big disappointment. I didn't ask him in-which camp he fell:

Knievel makes it

Knievel doesn't make it

wow, great walk down memory lane. my first bike was a 71 Honda SL 70, that exact yellow color. I destroyed that bike trying to keep up with 2 strokes. my first street bike was a Kawasaki 400 triple, dark green. traded it for a paint job on my 69 skylark.

I was riding my stepdads sl 350 at age 13. He said when i could start it i could ride it. My foot still hurts! He came home one day to see me going round the yard. He went ballistic! Until i reminded him what he said. He was still fumed but he let me keep riding it. I must have kicked that pig 300 times. Learned the 4t drill the hard way.

Just read last post! I sold my yellow 69 skylark yesterday back to my buddy i bought it from. It will be the grandkids car in about 15 years.

And i also had a tm 400! Small world. And yes the tms were fast but didnt turn or stop. Unpredictable power too. Horrible brakes and too much motor. Huh. Kinda like a vmax!

And i also had a tm 400! Small world. And yes the tms were fast but didnt turn or stop. Unpredictable power too. Horrible brakes and too much motor. Huh. Kinda like a vmax!
TM was the motocross bike, TS was the enduro. The SC500 Yamaha two-stroke was the 'widowmaker' of the Yamaha line-up. It was right up-there with the Maico 501 for a reputation of too-much power. The Husky 360/400's were also all-about the horsepower.

I had an acquaintance who lived by the ocean, he lived in a high-rise, his ride was a Stage 1 GS Buick A-body. Four hundred fifty-five cubic inches, torque to roast the tires from the 'dig,' and the rear end sometimes would step-out as the positraction rear end painted two wide black rubber strips. It was a Turbo Hydra-Matic 400. Another friend, one of my co-workers, had a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 which he had re-done in the 1980's, it was a gorgeous car. Also a 455, Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 and positraction, it was the model sporting aluminum components in the running gear, and a fiberglass hood, with the Kelsey-Hayes styled-steel wheels. It was a forest green, a color I liked. I have pics of it in print, not digital. Here's a red one like it: Wayne Ferrandino’s All Original 1970 Olds 442 W30 | Fueled News (fuelcurve.com)

Last edited:
the bike to the right looks to be a HD Hummer, my first bike I bought for $50 in eighth grade. great fun getting pulled over by a traffic cop riding a HD. probably because I didn't look old enough and he didn't know what the bike was. he asked what is that and I said "that's a Harley". at which point he gave it a good walk around look. handed me my license and was on my way..
later, bill
p.s. my next bike was the 360 yamaha enduro (silver). had to pass on one recently on craigslist. didn't have the $4000 asking price. looked in great shape. oh well...

I had a buddy with a banana yellow GSX. It was quick but it weighed about 2 1/2 tons and was no match for my 67 Chevelle - or a number of other machines owned by guys in that circle. As I recall, I believe my friend Brian Dunn’s ‘69 442 had his daddy as well. (“Just” a 400) This was circa 1975. That was the brief window in time with those cars were a dime a dozen and people were giving them away. The Arab Oil Embargo had everybody spooked and nobody wanted a large cubic inch, gas guzzling muscle car.

Who knew?

I know, I know. An A-body is an A-body. Maybe so, but the top-of-the-line Buick musclecar didn’t deliver the goods the way its cousins did.

the bike to the right looks to be a HD Hummer, my first bike I bought for $50 in eighth grade. great fun getting pulled over by a traffic cop riding a HD. probably because I didn't look old enough and he didn't know what the bike was. he asked what is that and I said "that's a Harley". at which point he gave it a good walk around look. handed me my license and was on my way..
later, bill
p.s. my next bike was the 360 yamaha enduro (silver). had to pass on one recently on craigslist. didn't have the $4000 asking price. looked in great shape. oh well...
Your bike was a 1972, if it had a solid color stock paint-job. That's what mine has, I still have it, bought it new 49 years ago, $1016 out the door. My buddy and I both walked in and bought identical bikes. in MI. His father owned a trucking company, and had a race team for a hobby, he ran Indy cars, sprint cars, and midgets, A couple of years at Indy, he had two cars in the race. He never won Indy, but they won other Indy car races.

My bike would hit 83 mph if I stayed upright, and 89 mph if I laid-down on the tank. My friend had a 360MX with lights and his was faster, he was >6 ft tall, and lean, he could stay upright and beat me in my hunched-forward position. He had two RT-1 360's, black tank w/a yellow side of the tank pinstripe, and another w/a red side of the tank pinstripe, I think they were a '70 and a '71. The '72 was the first year of the reed-valve induction. This one has the optional luggage rack, which also could be fitted w/a padded vinyl seat which bolted to it, for the passenger to have more room. Be careful, as all that weight so-far back, made the bike wheelie very easily, like a Kawasaki 500cc two-stroke triple (I had one of those too, my first 'big' road bike). Like this one, this is not a pic of my bike, but is the same year/model.

Yamaha RT-2 360 Enduro.png
Kawasaki 500 H1 1971.jpg

Last edited:
I raced a yamaha sc 500 too. Lots of power but fairly controllable. Yamaha mx 360... honda cr 480 and 500s...yz 400. It 400. Just sold that one. Loved the kx 500! Did everything well. 84 husky 430 wr! Darn near perfect. I usually got dirty from the peakier 250 2 strokes with unpredictable power delivery. Too much power is fine long as i know what its gonna do each time. Before you die ride a ktm 950 superenduro! You'll die with dirty underwear and a huge stupid grin!

I raced a yamaha sc 500 too. Lots of power but fairly controllable. Yamaha mx 360... honda cr 480 and 500s...yz 400. It 400. Just sold that one. Loved the kx 500! Did everything well. 84 husky 430 wr! Darn near perfect. I usually got dirty from the peakier 250 2 strokes with unpredictable power delivery. Too much power is fine long as i know what its gonna do each time. Before you die ride a ktm 950 superenduro! You'll die with dirty underwear and a huge stupid grin!
Those Kawasaki triples were great fun! But the skinny hard tires? One pass could be perfect and easy. Very next pass might be very terrifying.

Your bike was a 1972, if it had a solid color stock paint-job. That's what mine has, I still have it, bought it new 49 years ago, $1016 out the door. My buddy and I both walked in and bought identical bikes. in MI. His father owned a trucking company, and had a race team for a hobby, he ran Indy cars, sprint cars, and midgets, A couple of years at Indy, he had two cars in the race. He never won Indy, but they won other Indy car races.

My bike would hit 83 mph if I stayed upright, and 89 mph if I laid-down on the tank. My friend had a 360MX with lights and his was faster, he was >6 ft tall, and lean, he could stay upright and beat me in my hunched-forward position. He had two RT-1 360's, black tank w/a yellow side of the tank pinstripe, and another w/a red side of the tank pinstripe, I think they were a '70 and a '71. The '72 was the first year of the reed-valve induction. This one has the optional luggage rack, which also could be fitted w/a padded vinyl seat which bolted to it, for the passenger to have more room. Be careful, as all that weight so-far back, made the bike wheelie very easily, like a Kawasaki 500cc two-stroke triple (I had one of those too, my first 'big' road bike). Like this one, this is not a pic of my bike, but is the same year/model.

View attachment 77396
View attachment 77397
yep, the silver one was what I had. great fun. wish I could have hung onto it. my wife has a 1974 purple 100cc which she doesn't ride. I get it out once in a while. no real power but sounds and smells of the past.
later,bill

yep, the silver one was what I had. great fun. wish I could have hung onto it. my wife has a 1974 purple 100cc which she doesn't ride. I get it out once in a while. no real power but sounds and smells of the past.
later,bill
I really miss the old scoots. Then i ride one. My hands hurt. My back aches. Neck gets a crick. Right foot hurts. Then it finally kickstarts! Seriously i love the old girls. Especially big old off roaders. Mx flattrack tt rally and even just old trailies.

later, bill
Yep that was a HUmmer can't remember the exact year model but it was the guys 1st bike .

I ran across this pic, and since Kyle mentioned Laverdas, I knew where to place this pic. Bikes used by Evel Knievel, re-badged as American Eagle, when Dan Gurney was trying to import them, and figured Evel Knievel could get free publicity.

evel-knievel-Laverda 750.jpg

I ran across this pic, and since Kyle mentioned Laverdas, I knew where to place this pic. Bikes used by Evel Knievel, re-badged as American Eagle, when Dan Gurney was trying to import them, and figured Evel Knievel could get free publicity.

View attachment 77659
I always thought Evel only rode Harleys and triumphs. Now I know.

Latest posts

Back