Motorcycle crash rate by type

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax1961

Reaction score
I was recently told that the VMax was the "winner" in the fatality rate area.
No other bike had killed so many riders, as a percentage og production numbers (I know that bikes don't kill by them self but that's how it was presented to me).
I've been trying to find statistics about bike types and fatality rats but no luck so far.
Insurance companies must have statistics to back up their high premium on certain types of vehicles. Anybody know about this?:ummm:

No other bike had killed so many riders, as a percentage og production numbers (I know that bikes don't kill by them self but that's how it was presented to me).
I've been trying to find statistics about bike types and fatality rats but no luck so far.
Insurance companies must have statistics to back up their high premium on certain types of vehicles. Anybody know about this?:ummm:

That's interesting because I would have figured it would be Sport Bikes by far. The younger inexperienced squid types and such. That's how it is in Army at least. I compared insurance rates on a ZX14 and a GSXR 600 and both were WAYYY more expensive than my Max. They classify it as a cruiser which helps a lot I'm sure.

That's interesting because I would have figured it would be Sport Bikes by far. The younger inexperienced squid types and such. That's how it is in Army at least. I compared insurance rates on a ZX14 and a GSXR 600 and both were WAYYY more expensive than my Max. They classify it as a cruiser which helps a lot I'm sure.
I remember few years back on base; while standing in formation in front of the base capt. A guy went by on a sport bike and I guess the capt saw every ones eyes watch the biker zip past. He wait's and then says " I've been on base 14 yrs.
1 in three speed bike owners on this base alone will die ; 1 will be seriously injured and crippled to some degree; your chances are better fighting on a battle field.

I remember few years back on base; while standing in formation in front of the base capt. A guy went by on a sport bike and I guess the capt saw every ones eyes watch the biker zip past. He wait's and then says " I've been on base 14 yrs.
1 in three speed bike owners on this base alone will die ; 1 will be seriously injured and crippled to some degree; your chances are better fighting on a battle field.

Absolutely! We lose more service men and women to vehicle accidents a year than a year in this war. Motorcycles have been especially high over the last year or so. They have been pushing the MC safety campaign pretty hard lately. My guess on the causes in the spike is probably attributed to new riders looking to combat high gas prices for one. Also those returning from deployment that were outside the wire a lot that left with a feeling of invincibility are now needing a new rush. It happens.

The last time I saw any numbers, and they are out there, not by make/model but by type, the "Cruiser/H-D" type were rapidly overtaking the sportbikes, supposedly due to the high numbers of 1st time ever, middle aged guys buying an 800 lb cruiser for their first ever bike.......

I don't know the empirical data for this or vouch for it's accuracy...

My wife's gonna love that little tidbit of info. She already thinks I'm nuts for getting a bike of any kind. Wait til she hears the Vmax is the deadliest bike of them all. Hope it's just an urban legend.

My wife's gonna love that little tidbit of info. She already thinks I'm nuts for getting a bike of any kind. Wait til she hears the Vmax is the deadliest bike of them all. Hope it's just an urban legend.

I think it's one of the many urban myths the Vmax has. Here is a snippet from an article a couple of years ago.

"In the past few years a horsepower battle in the cycle industry has produced bikes that have the power of a car but often weigh less than ever. Sophisticated suspension and braking systems and other electronics make them easy for inexperienced riders to handle -- up to a point. But the bikes' potential speed and violent acceleration can quickly overwhelm all but the most skilled riders.

These high-performance machines, often called "superbikes" or "supersports," accounted for less than 10% of motorcycle registrations in 2005 but accounted for more than 25% of rider fatalities, according to data collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and analyzed in a study released last week by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

"In 2005, riders 40 or older accounted for 47% of motorcycle fatalities, compared with 24% 10 years earlier. In the same period, the fatality percentage for riders younger than 30 years of age fell to 32% from 41%. Safety officials attribute this in part to a tendency of "returning" riders to overestimate their ability to handle the latest powerful bikes.

"You have a lot of people saying, 'I'm in my 40s and I want to start riding motorcycles again,'" says Daniel Lonsdorf, director of the Wisconsin Bureau of Transportation Safety. "But these aren't the same motorcycles they remember from 20 years ago."

I like the last part. if you ride a gen 1, this IS the bike you remember from 20 years ago. :biglaugh:

Here is the entire article. :
http://online.wsj.com/public/article_print/SB119006164438830162.html

Remember the 70's and 80's? You had to hold a pistol to sell a Harley. Old dudes (over 40) on bikes had been on them forever. Then it became popular for doctors and lawyers and investment bankers to buy a toy for the weekends. Harley prices went through the roof, japanese cruisers were brought to market to get some of that pie and fatality rates began to climb. Old reflexs and faster, more powerful machines combine to make a dangerous cocktail. Throw in some inattentive cagers and lack of experience on the rider's part and you have the ingredients for disaster. Those of us who have ridden all of our lives know better and, most of the time, use that exprience to our advantage, knowing that the Volvo driver is going to cut you off or left turn you, you ride with your head up and eyes open. Newbie's don't know what they don't know and can get into trouble right quick. Even those of us with experience sometimes forget and push the envelope. It's a dangerous sport, you have to recognise that and ride accordingly. Even with 30 years of experience, I take it easy each spring till the cobwebs are gone. I have enough stainless in my knee to remind me, I'm not invincable.
Ride safe bros.

Probably just sombody talkin out their ass, ask them for detailed numbers, bet they can'at produce them.

"You have a lot of people saying, 'I'm in my 40s and I want to start riding motorcycles again,'" says Daniel Lonsdorf, director of the Wisconsin Bureau of Transportation Safety. "But these aren't the same motorcycles they remember from 20 years ago."

Sounds like me. Yeah, the reflexes aren't what they used to be, but I'm definitely more cautious now than 20 years ago for sure. Funny how experience and age makes you think things out, like what broken bones and road rash would feel like. Ouch.

I'm sure there are actuarial table for the Vmax, but I'm not asking my insurance man what the numbers are for the Vmax. I like my rates just as they are!:biglaugh:

image.php

Man, your pics get better and better :worthy:.

Latest posts

Back