motorcycle endorsement test on a vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirgijoe

Reaction score
everyone I talked to had me worried about taking the test on my vmax, they all told me to find a small moped or enduro to take the test.

could not for the life of me find anything small, unless I was going to buy one, and when I called to get a test date scheduled they set it up the same day so I had no choice but to take it on my VMax.

test wasn't perfect, but I was nervous over nothing and it was easy.

anyways, i took video of the who thing, enjoy!

skip to 18:00 minutes if you just want to see the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3AfVQg2mm0

Good for you.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

thanks!

I was really worried because everyone I knew that has their endorsement kept telling me i would never pass the test on a heavy bike and to do like they did and get a moped.

the test was easy.

I took my MC road test on my Vmax when I moved back to NY and turned in my NC license and they screwed up and didn't include the Motorcycle endorsement.
I'd been riding my Vmax for years at that point and I passed the test without any issues at all.
In NY the test was actually taken on the road and not in a parking lot, the instructor just tells you where to go then follows in a car.

I also took my Vmax to get my MC endorsement in NC because I'd let it lapse for a year or 2 and the instructor looked at it and asked me how long I'd been riding.
When I told him I'd been riding on the street since I was 16 he didn't even make me to the test, he just signed it off as passing.
The Test in NC would have been in a parking lot similar to what you had to do.

I took my MC road test on my Vmax when I moved back to NY and turned in my NC license and they screwed up and didn't include the Motorcycle endorsement.
I'd been riding my Vmax for years at that point and I passed the test without any issues at all.
In NY the test was actually taken on the road and not in a parking lot, the instructor just tells you where to go then follows in a car.

I also took my Vmax to get my MC endorsement in NC because I'd let it lapse for a year or 2 and the instructor looked at it and asked me how long I'd been riding.
When I told him I'd been riding on the street since I was 16 he didn't even make me to the test, he just signed it off as passing.
The Test in NC would have been in a parking lot similar to what you had to do.

Awesome! lol

I took the NY test to. Just on the street. That parking lot cone stuff is very confusing, especially being nervous. it seems to take more time figuring out what the guy wants, than riding the bike.

A similar course is set up for M.C. endorsement procurement in this province.
At present, there are two endorsements available - 500 c.c. and 500 c.c. and above.
Of course to obtain the latter, the test must be taken on a larger bike.
I was shocked that you were allowed to take your test in short sleeves, no gloves (shorts and sandals as well?) - full protective riding gear is mandatory here. Besides, it's just common sense to be prepared, particularly if you are new to riding........a friendly tip.
Cheers, stay safe!

A similar course is set up for M.C. endorsement procurement in this province.
At present, there are two endorsements available - 500 c.c. and 500 c.c. and above.
Of course to obtain the latter, the test must be taken on a larger bike.
I was shocked that you were allowed to take your test in short sleeves, no gloves (shorts and sandals as well?) - full protective riding gear is mandatory here. Besides, it's just common sense to be prepared, particularly if you are new to riding........a friendly tip.
Cheers, stay safe!

Yep, I normally wear gloves! Always wear a full face helmet, and steel toe leather boots. At a minimum I'm in jeans, it was 85 that day so a t shirt was in order ( that's hot where I live! )

But yes, safety is my top priority. All they require is a dot approved helmet.

I did mine on my Vmax as well. I hadn't ridden in a quite few years but I rode my Vmax for two seasons before taking the test. The test was in a parking lot and an officer buddy rode with my brother and I to the test which was required to be legally riding in Michigan. I thought I remembered more test, but maybe it just seemed like more since there were 2 of us doing it. It also helped that my buddy knew the trooper who conducted the test so things were maybe a little less tense for us. The trooper timed a few (or maybe all tem, can't remember for sure now.)of the sectioned since we had said we were kinda competitive in things we did. He was on a F-Z1 and weighed about 80-90 lbs less so he probably had a bit of advantage but in the end he only beat me by 2 tenths I believe which he could figure out how I my fat ass and pig of a bike could be almost as quick as he was. I took the moral victory and didn't let him forget it!
My thoughts on riding with gear, would jumping out of the back of a pickup at, say 50 mph, be any different on a 60 degree day Vs. a 90 degree scorcher? Personal opinion, YMMV.

I cheated. stopped by a local honda dealer. who sponsored me when I raced atv's.
He loaned me a Lil honda 230 super moto. I flew through the course with ease.

I did mine on my Vmax as well. I hadn't ridden in a quite few years but I rode my Vmax for two seasons before taking the test. The test was in a parking lot and an officer buddy rode with my brother and I to the test which was required to be legally riding in Michigan. I thought I remembered more test, but maybe it just seemed like more since there were 2 of us doing it. It also helped that my buddy knew the trooper who conducted the test so things were maybe a little less tense for us. The trooper timed a few (or maybe all tem, can't remember for sure now.)of the sectioned since we had said we were kinda competitive in things we did. He was on a F-Z1 and weighed about 80-90 lbs less so he probably had a bit of advantage but in the end he only beat me by 2 tenths I believe which he could figure out how I my fat ass and pig of a bike could be almost as quick as he was. I took the moral victory and didn't let him forget it!
My thoughts on riding with gear, would jumping out of the back of a pickup at, say 50 mph, be any different on a 60 degree day Vs. a 90 degree scorcher? Personal opinion, YMMV.

Good point about your thoughts on the safety.

I did my Missouri test on my 86 Venture Royale because my Vmax had the infamous low voltage CDI BS going on that summer, and I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be dying on me all the time during the test. The lady hwy patrolman looked at the Venture and said to me, "are you going to take your test on THAT?" I got 5 points off for going too fast on the 50' go n stop portion of the test - I misunderstood her and didn't realize that it was supposed to be a sloooow race (sort of). Lol.

It was shortly after that, that I 1st found this forum to sort out the Vmax voltage issues.

Last edited:
Did mine on my 175 Yamaha Enduro. They watched me from inside the bldg, told me to do figure 8s. Think I must have done about 20 of them, freaking out thinking they might not of been good enough. I was 15 at the time...

I did my Missouri test on my 86 Venture Royale because my Vmax had the infamous low voltage CDI BS foing on that summer, and I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be dying on me all the time during the test. The lady hwy patrolman looked at the Venture and said to me, "are you going to take your test on THAT?" I got 5 points off for going too fast on the 50' go n stop portion of the test - I misunderstood her and didn't realize that it was supposed to be a sloooow race (sort of). Lol.

It was shortly after that, that I 1st found this forum to sort out the Vmax voltage issues.

Awesome!

This forum is a great place, so glad I found it!

Did mine on my 175 Yamaha Enduro. They watched me from inside the bldg, told me to do figure 8s. Think I must have done about 20 of them, freaking out thinking they might not of been good enough. I was 15 at the time...

Lol this is almost the exact same story my dad tells me on how he got his. He took his on a 1973 175 Enduro! Small world..

Loved and hated that bike. It was 10 years old when I got it. It had 100 miles on it and had been sitting in a garage.. All the oil injection lines dry rotted on my and I seized up the engine.. Firm beliver in pre-mix...lol, It wasn't good at much, top speed going down hill with two people was maybe 65, you were not gonna pass anyone on the highway. It didn't have enought power to play out in the hills either..I got this bike, my friends got bikes like XR350&600, KX500s.. I couldn't compete..lol

Loved and hated that bike. It was 10 years old when I got it. It had 100 miles on it and had been sitting in a garage.. All the oil injection lines dry rotted on my and I seized up the engine.. Firm beliver in pre-mix...lol, It wasn't good at much, top speed going down hill with two people was maybe 65, you were not gonna pass anyone on the highway. It didn't have enought power to play out in the hills either..I got this bike, my friends got bikes like XR350&600, KX500s.. I couldn't compete..lol

Ironically my dad said he always regretted not getting the 250 as he also said it just didn't have enough ass lol

Congrats! A big burnout at the end would have been a great finish.
I took my test in 1969 on my dad's Harley hardtail shovel. The test consisted of going around some cones and stopping, honking the horn, and turning on the headlight. No turn signals back then. Because it was March, and cold, the BMV bureaucrat sat in his truck and I'm not even sure he was watching me. I did pass.

Latest posts

Back